Looking For Help with My R97104
    Member #
    Liked
    107 times

Looking For Help with My R97104

My first range session with my brand new R97104 revealed a few nagging issues that I'd like to take care of. Both of them seem to be centered on the cylinder latch.

The first problem is that sometimes it is very difficult to release the cylinder to let it swing out. In fooling with the revolver I have determined that the latch sometimes doesn't move fully forward. This results in the latch pin in the center of the ejector star not being pushed in sufficiently, and it takes a concerted push to "pop" the cylinder loose.

The second problem occurs after the cylinder closes. In this case the interlock at the rear of the cylinder latch that blocks the hammer is still engaged with the hammer, and the trigger cannot then be pulled nor can the hammer be manually cocked. Sometimes when this happens I can manually, with my thumb, pull the latch back. Other times the cylinder must be reopened and reclosed, and then it's OK.

Neither of these problems occur all of the time - the second problem I've seen perhaps twice - but the first problem is fairly frequent.

It seems to me that both problems are centered on the movement ot the internal bar that moves forwards and backwards with the thumb button.

When I picked up the revolver last week I noted that the lockwork seemed very dry and felt very gritty. I have applied Breakfree CLP very liberally to everywhere I could reach, and that has smoothed everything out quite a bit. I suspect, however, that there is either someplace I haven't reached, or maybe there's a piece of debris from manufacturing floating around in there.

Tonight I tried removing the side plate to see if I could find anything wrong. I was able to get the forward screw out and remove the crane and cylinder (If anyone is wondering, the R97104 does have the spring and plunger behind the screw.), but was unable to remove either of the other screws. I was, of course, using proper gunsmithing screwdrivers, but I was actually afraid of snapping off the tip trying to get the last two screws loose. I finally gave up, reassembled the revolver, and decided to come here for help. Did the factory Loctite those screws?

I'm hoping to avoid going through the whole customer service thing. I think my next step will be to buy an aerosol can of gun scrubber, remove the stocks again, and try to hose the works out. If there is a piece of debris in there maybe that will flush it loose.

Has anyone else encountered these problems? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Well, I executed Plan-A this evening. On the way home fromwork I stopped at the sporting goods store and bought a big erosol can of Gun Scrubber and a small aerosol can of Hoppes gun oil. After supper I removed the grips and took the can of Gun Scrubber and hosed the heck out of the inside of the frame, sticking the nozzle of the can up past the mainspring, down the hammer slot, up past the trigger, and in through the hand slot and the little hold in the recoil shield where the little stud on the cylinder latch protrudes through.

I had placed some paper towels down to catch the effluent, and when the flushing operation was done there were some black and some shiny specks of metal visible on the towels.

I then used the aerosol can of Hoppes oil to hose down the inside with lube.

The results, so far, are encouraging. The slide for the cylinder latch seems to move back and forth more freely, and so far I have been unable to get the latch to hang up in either direction as i could yesterday evening.

There is still a slight hesitation when opening the cylinder, but one must remember that, even though the cylinder latch frees up the rear of the cylinder, one must still overcome the spring-loaded catch at the crane.

So far I am chalking this up as a success, but in the long run only time will tell.

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    Senor tpelle,
    I have to say that the issues that you are reporting are not giving me a "warm, fuzzy feeling" about keeping the Rossi 97104 at the top of my 4" .357 MAG revolver wish list . I hope that you get the bugs worked out and don't have to deal with CS and trip back to Florida. I think that the Windicator just moved up a notch by default.
    Flex
    "A man has got to know his limitations." HC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Senor tpelle,
    I have to say that the issues that you are reporting are not giving me a "warm, fuzzy feeling" about keeping the Rossi 97104 at the top of my 4" .357 MAG revolver wish list . I hope that you get the bugs worked out and don't have to deal with CS and trip back to Florida. I think that the Windicator just moved up a notch by default.
    Flex
    Oh, don't mind me. I'm an engineer and a perfectionist. And I have yet to find a piece of machinery that I couldn't fix on until it broke.

Seriously I also looked at the Windicator, and I also looked into the new Rock Island M200. As far as I could see, both ofthe abovementioned pistols had their barrel rib and shroud pressed on over a seperate barrel. I didn't like that at all. But that's the engineer ming out again.

I seriously considered the M200 though, as I like the Colt-style action.

All in all I'm happy with the Rossi.

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Saw this model at gunbuyer.com for lt $300, I was thinking about adding anohter 357 to my collection, but after reading this and several other reviews I think I'll pass
    mace

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21320 times
    I have the R97206 and have had zero problems with it to date. It is very accurate and has as nice a single action trigger as I could ask for. But I sure would like a set of nice wood grips for it I dislike the feel of rubber grips on any gun....

Name:  Rossi  R97206 SS .357 Mag. 001.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  1.74 MB
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sponsored Links