Load data concerning LSWC, SWC vs. LRNFP... any difference?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Load data concerning LSWC, SWC vs. LRNFP... any difference?

Member #
    Liked
    35 times

Load data concerning LSWC, SWC vs. LRNFP... any difference?

When I come across load data that gives data for a cast lead bullet, does it matter if I use one type of lead bullet vs. another lead? Can I use a LSWC in place of data that list a LRNFP? or visa versa?

If not, what is the difference? lead is lead right?

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    OAL is used as a proxy for available case volume, since part of the case volume is occupied by the seated bullet. Different bullet geometries give rise to different available case volumes, which directly affect the burn rate and pressure of the cartridge.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46443 times
    Here are a few I am sure there are more. All of these bullets in the same weight in theory will be different lengths requiring different powder charges.

LFP – Lead Flat Point
    LHP – Lead Hollow Point
    LRN – Lead Round Nose
    LRNFP - Lead Round Nose Flat Point
    LSWC – Lead Semiwadcutter
    LSWC-GC – Lead Semiwadcutter Gas Checked
    LWC – Lead Wadcutter
    LTC – Lead Truncated Cone
    likesbigbullets likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Very helpful guys. Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    1164 times
    When I change styles of bullets, I start over with the minimum load and work up. As stated above, pressures will change depending on the depth that the bullet is seated. I've found that most of the time, the loads will be very close to each other. Small cases like the 9mm will show pressure changes more quickly than say a .38SP.
    olfarhors likes this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    Western North Dakota

Member #
    Liked
    22200 times
    In theory, no. In practice you can, most of the time. Depends somewhat on what caliber we're talking about and what the purpose of your load is.

In theory, you should only load using data for the specific bullet you're using to a specific OAL. In practice few do. For example, two different LRN's seated to the same OAL can still have different case capacity due to different degrees of ogive on the bullet.

I came to the conclusion that it makes little difference unless you're loading to maximum chamber pressure. Most lead bullet shooters aren't even close to trying to do that. For practice ammo I consider data for a 158gr SWC generic in .38/.357. I wouldn't substitute a radically different profile (LRNFP) for the most part unless there was a load listed for a powder that I couldn't find any other data for. Then I'd take in consideration what the cartridge was and the gun I was going to shoot it in. Doing something like this in the .38 spl target ammo and shooting them in a .357 revolver is a lot more comfortable than doing the same while trying to load for maximum velocity in the .45 ACP.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    26835 times
    Quote Originally Posted by likesbigbullets View Post
    When I come across load data that gives data for a cast lead bullet, does it matter if I use one type of lead bullet vs. another lead? Can I use a LSWC in place of data that list a LRNFP? or visa versa?
    as has been stated already!
    and to add to Fishings list, one that can and does make a difference is the hollow based projectiles, they increase case capacity in even like length projectiles that are flat based.
    If you begin the thought process by immedately thinging case capacity then it all kind of makes sence, you got a closed tube, if you seat something in it at a certian depth it will have a certain capacity, if you seat it deeper then that capcity is reduced, if you put an explosive in that case then the less capcity the more PSI that the explosion has--IE-more pressure.
    andreew and gbusmech like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    7525 times
    You can measure the bullet length and subtract it from the OAL, as long as the remainder is more than or the same as with a bullet you have data for you will have the same or more case capacity and should be ok to use that data with bullets of the same weight.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by likesbigbullets View Post

It's not quite that simple, there are a few things to keep in mind when loading cast bullets, one of which is leading. I've found that if I use a load that gives me about 1000ft/sec with soft lead, leading will be a problem. With hard cast bullets I don't have that problem. But to answer your original question, The swc and rnfp bullets I've seen tend to be almost the same height so you should be fine. The thing to keep in mind is that you want to work up your loads and the load data provided should only be used as a guide for a starting point.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Ok, I've read what you have all stated and it makes sense. The "usable space" is what makes the difference right? Is there a standard amount of "usable space" that is considered optimum for each caliber? or as some of you said dependent on the type of "explosive"? I did the math and figured out that it isn't that hard to find the inner diameter and length of the amount of space behind a bullet. Would I be right in my math to assume that multiplying the two variables will give me the cubic inches of space behind the seated bullet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links