Taurus Firearm Forum banner

I need help with .380 load data.

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  gcsteve285 
#1 ·
Starting load was going to be 2.8 grains Bullseye with a .9800” OAL. The problem is to get the bullet to sit in the barrel properly in my TCP I have to seat them to .9120” OAL. Now that just seems way to short and I am very concerned with being over pressure.

The bullet details are:
93 Grain LRN
.3565” Dia.
.4250” From base to tip

Any suggestions on load data, other than finding a different bullet to use?

Bullet Design:

.9800" OAL

.9120" OAL

See less See more
#2 ·
SAAMI spec's show a min OAL of .940 for .380. I have also read that others have had the same problem and have used quickload to calculate a starting load. Don't have quickload so I think I will be looking for different bullets to load.

#3 ·
The problem there is a throat that is not compatible with the bullet ogive. Often chambers/throats are significantly different from manufacturer to manufacturer, without being too far "out of spec". The bullet you have there is considerably different in profile from the usual bullet used in 380ACP factory loadings.

A different bullet profile would do the trick, as would reaming the throat a bit to accommodate the bullet.

If it were mine, I'd adjust the throat a wee bit to accept the bullet, which would not materially affect the gun's performance or the loading requirements.

Flash

#4 ·
I don't have the tools or the knowledge to adjust the throat; I only have a handful of these bullets thrown in as a sample from my cast bullet supplier with my last order. I will let him know the problem I have and find a different option.

Thanks for suggestion, some day I may be more adventurous and look into it a lot more. I like learning new things, especially with firearms.

#5 ·
I would try that first and go from there.

How ever, Some insight.

My brother has a 1911 that will not accept ammo with an OAL of 1.260 or 1.245 per our reloading manuals. We had to find out where the bullet fits and came out with about 1.220-1.225.
So, We loaded a few test loads at this OAL with a start charge and they went bang with no problems what so ever. How ever, I do no know if the .380 is a high pressure cartridge and if it is, I would NOT do this.

Just something to think about.

#6 ·
.07" is a lot in this small cartridge. Not worth the risk to experiment with out some calculation help from something like quickload. Not even sure if I would risk it with the help. I will put off reloading this caliber until i come up with a new bullet to load.

#8 ·
I can help you a bit with a 100 grain plated .355 in the 380 and Unique, or can look up some load data for you with more conventional weights.
let me know.
also got loads using the all copper 80 grain pills, 102 Remington Golden Sabre and 95 Gold Dots in that caliber.
I just don't use Bullseye powder, so no Known loads with that.

#9 ·
I've used the Missouri 95 grain "secret agent" bullet, and more recently, bullets cast from a Lee 90305 mold in my TCP-738 (mine drop at about 97 grains). I had trouble with a COAL of 0.975, but 0.965 is fine. I load them light: only 2.3 grains of Bullseye. At that COAL and charge, they go bang every time and cycle just fine. Accuracy is about as good as anything else I've fired from that short barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.