• 1 Post By olfarhors
  • 2 Post By olfarhors
  • 2 Post By Peacemakr40

Thread: Not Ideal, But I Ordered 38 Super Bullets for my 9mm Loads

Member #
    Liked
    177 times

Not Ideal, But I Ordered 38 Super Bullets for my 9mm Loads

I am not necessarily desperate, but indications are that I will be if there’s no improvement in product availability, so as Mick Jagger sang, You can’t always get what you want! I ordered 1000 bullets, 38 Super, 121gr JHP .356” diameter. I’m guessing if I can load Berry’s plated, which are .356” I should be able to develop some loads for a jacketed bullet the same diameter. If I use 124gr JHP recipes I may find something in the mid range that works for me.

I recall posting about 4 boxes of 38 Super ammo that I bought in error a decade ago. Advice from multiple parties was to break it down and use the projectiles for 9mm range fodder. Guessing this is a similar scenario. Of course, I still haven’t broken down the loaded 38 Super ammo...who knows? I may obtain a sweet 1911 in that caliber one day...just so I don’t waste that ammo. Ji ji ji.

Load length may be an issue, due to the 38 Super profile versus 9mm, so I’ll err to the softer side while I work things out (assuming the bullets actually ship).

I’ve been advised that RMR accepts back orders on their in house manufactured 9mm in varying configurations with 3 week delay. I may go that route, none of my regular sources appear to take orders on out of stock items.
    darbo, silverstring and funflyer like this.
    “Draw me not without reason, sheath me not without honor.”

Member #
    Liked
    20636 times
    If you'll shoot plated bullets Xtreme has 124gr. in stock...for now.

https://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-12...24rn-b0500.htm
    markr6754 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    534 times
    For coated go to Brazos Precision.
    MoKen likes this.
    Shut up and reload!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28643 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    If you'll shoot plated bullets Xtreme has 124gr. in stock...for now.

https://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-12...24rn-b0500.htm
    CAREFUL with Extreme and being in stock!
    I ordered a few thousand projectiles form them a few months back and they showed all three projectiles as in stock.
    when i didn't recieve them in like 2 weeks I called and they said they were processing the order, another 2- 3 weeks went by and I actually forgot about them and ordered berry from Midway, I think it was like 7 weeks after the Extreme order i got an e mail wantign me to contact the credit card company to reauthorize the charge as it had been so long.
    I contacted them and said thanks but no thanks!
    I had already received the Midway order about 8 days after ordering.
    I like Extreme product but i have to say their service with my last 2-3 orders has really hit near the bottom for me.
    markr6754 likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    28643 times
    I load 115, 124, 147, 130 projectiles for my 38 Thupper, both in round nose, hollow point and flat point.
    quite honestly I load all the 124 , 115 exactly the same--powder, OAL and they run great in all 4 of my weapons chambered in that caliber.
    this is almost always a plated projectile.
    I make no distinction between projectiles for my 38 Super and my 9 MM, I do prefer a 124 grain however, just personal preference as accuracy is virtually impossible to tell apart.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by olfarhors; 07-21-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    markr6754 and muddcatt54 like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    23209 times
    121 gr JHPs are fine with 9mm loads. Load based on 124 gr plated. I have a box of 124 gr JHPs that I load for my pt709 and son in laws pt92fs. I actually prefer a heavier round for my 709 so I run with 147 gr XTPs.
    9mm is pretty flexible from about 80 gr sintered up to 150 gr boowits.
    markr6754 and olfarhors like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    1834 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
    For coated go to Brazos Precision.
    Great product and price and optional sizing.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links