Can you ID these small pistol primers?+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Can you ID these small pistol primers?+

Member #
    Liked
    6176 times

Can you ID these small pistol primers?+

I needed primers. I drove 60 miles to get these. They are all the guy had. If you CAN identify these please let me know, manufacturer and any other pertinent info. (plain white box, no other markings). They are small pistol, not magnum, primers.

Thanks

h

Name:  amall ptisol primers.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  75.1 KB
    hombre

Never forget...9/11/01

Member #
    Liked
    12465 times
    Maybe Winchester SPP, it looks like a bit of red if I am viewing the pic right.
    hombre243 likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    6176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    Maybe Winchester SPP, it looks like a bit of red if I am viewing the pic right.
    Well, there's no red anywhere but I thought the same. These are high polished like gold. Regular Winchesters are more brassy, but the finish could distinguish their match primers from standard primers. I forgot to ask the guy where I got them.

I think these are Sellier and Bellots. They could also be Winchester over runs. Images that showed these super shiney primers said Sellier and Bellot, as small pistol primers and another pic showed look alike primers, but that they were used in 9mm ammo. However, they did not show the ammo. I guess I won't know. As long as they go boom and not pfft...we're good.
    Last edited by hombre243; 07-01-2020 at 04:17 PM.
    silverstring and Czechbikr like this.
    hombre

Never forget...9/11/01

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46015 times
    IIRC the last S & B SPP primers that I had were shiny gold. That plain brown wrapper is just weird however. That's a long way to go for primers, but when you need them there's not much choice. Good thing gas is cheaper.
    hombre243 and Peacemakr40 like this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    6176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    IIRC the last S & B SPP primers that I had were shiny gold. That plain brown wrapper is just weird however. That's a long way to go for primers, but when you need them there's not much choice. Good thing gas is cheaper.
    I think the plain brown wrapper may be an overrun sold at a discount. No reason...just a maybe. I went to Iowa City a week or 2 ago for powder. No hazmat and 4 gallons of gas round trip. This trip was 20 miles closer and he has everything Scheels did and didn't, and prices were better. Only thing i couldn't get was my Chinese Buffet, which is a Necessity when I go to IC. It is right on the Chinese dedicated road named for the former U/I coach, Hayden Fryway
    Czechbikr and Bruntson like this.
    hombre

Never forget...9/11/01

Member #
    Liked
    2257 times
    Basically, I have found no significant difference in any primer in the same class. I have used them interchangeably for decades. YMMV.

I've even used SPMagnum primers in 38's with no noticable difference (Yes, chronograph and all that).

I do not recklessly sow them in the primer-feeder, I do try to use appropriately matched components, but substitution has been neccessary in some times of shortages.
    hombre243 likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    5160 times
    Wow! Unmarked Primers in a clear plastic holder and plain brown box is unique. I would like to help but I have never seen such a combination. I'm thinking you're on track with your idea that these were military surplus over runs.

Member #
    Liked
    6176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post
    Basically, I have found no significant difference in any primer in the same class. I have used them interchangeably for decades. YMMV.

I've even used SPMagnum primers in 38's with no noticable difference (Yes, chronograph and all that).

I do not recklessly sow them in the primer-feeder, I do try to use appropriately matched components, but substitution has been neccessary in some times of shortages.
    I looked up some forum posts when I first got the 357 revolver. Most posts concerning the primers seem to say what you say about the difference seen when using magnum over standard primers. Notta Lotta difference. Of course no manufacturer will ever admit to that in print. However, if used at near max loads using a magnum in a 38 spl could get touchy. But there are many reloaders who, like you report no problems using the mag primer if needed. I probably won't use a magnum on a 38. In fact if the chrony shows close enough velocities between mag and std. in a 357, I will just stock up on standard primers and save the hassle of keeping them separated if per chance I spill some on the floor with the many other primers I have deposited down there.

Thanks for the input. I have learned a little more and I will stuff it under my hat.
    h
    hombre

Never forget...9/11/01

Member #
    Liked
    6176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruntson View Post
    Wow! Unmarked Primers in a clear plastic holder and plain brown box is unique. I would like to help but I have never seen such a combination. I'm thinking you're on track with your idea that these were military surplus over runs.
    I know those little bright gold primers sure are purdy.
    Czechbikr and Bruntson like this.
    hombre

Never forget...9/11/01

Member #
    Liked
    22950 times
    They look like my S&B SPPs but with different packaging.
    hombre243 likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links