Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Dual Purpose Thread For The Kimber Micro 9

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45467 times

Dual Purpose Thread For The Kimber Micro 9

Got it out today for the maiden voyage. Loaded up the five mags...1 at 6, 1 at 7 and 3 at 8 rounds. Figured I would use a combination of reloads and SD ammo with the hands loaded rounds being 115 grain Brazos coated RN loaded with Titegroup. Also had some Xtreme PHP reloads, IMI JHP and Federal SD factory ammo.

The first shot at 15 feet was dead center...happy camper. The second and third were off and to the left, expected with a new and very snappy mini pistol. The next round would not chamber...ejected and tried another. After I field stripped the gun I was glad that the following round did not chamber. The first clue was powder in the magwell.

Apparently the fourth round bullet had jumped the case and lodged in the barrel just at the back of the chamber. The wood dowel that I had in the back was too big and so the session was over with the Micro 9.

My first thought was that the COAL was too long and the bullet snagged on the rifling. The next was that the crimp was deficient. Once back in the man cave I found a fiberglass rod about 1/4" and sawed off a 10" hunk for this job and future use.

Here's some pics of the bullet and it certainly appears that the crimp should have been sufficient. The COAL for all of the other rounds in the mags measure at 1.14" or less (1.13)

What are you folks thinking?

Name:  IMG_20200629_134208.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  2.44 MB

Name:  IMG_20200629_164016.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  2.80 MB

Name:  IMG_20200629_164024.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  2.50 MB

Name:  IMG_20200629_164034.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  2.60 MB
    777Driver likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    4238 times
    My first question is how much effort did it take to remove the stray bullet? Was that a cast bullet? Measure that bullet at the bearing surface and compare to a unused one. Check that they are still the same diameter. Post results.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    My first question is how much effort did it take to remove the stray bullet? Was that a cast bullet? Measure that bullet at the bearing surface and compare to a unused one. Check that they are still the same diameter. Post results.
    The first rounds that fired were the same, Brazos coated 115 grainers. It didn't take a lot of force to knock it clear.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4238 times
    Not sure how many or how often you've been loading those but I would check neck tension on a few. That bullet shouldn't have pulled out from the case that easy. Which is why I suggest measuring a pulled bullet and an unloaded fresh bullet. See if the bullet is being sized down while seating. Lead will not spring back at the same rate as the brass will.
    Lomax likes this.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45467 times
    I fired 60 of the same round in the Hi-Point 995 TS and another 75 in the Canik today. No issues in either gun and they were quite accurate. I will have to run a bunch of factory rounds I think to see how it behaves.

Member #
    Liked
    4238 times
    Could be like my Witness with a very tight chamber and very little leade in the throat.

While down in McHenry one afternoon I stuck one in my Witness and couldn't free up the slide. Finally with Brian's help he was able to eject the unfired round. He used a lot of force to get the slide open and the bullet still didn't pull loose.
    Czechbikr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    882 times
    1st thought: How did the ammo do on the plunk test? I once had a Walther 9mm that I had to load "short". I didn't like the fact that I had to load specifically for the Walther. The bullet ogive doesn't look squatty fat. Pic #4 shows a projectile with a nice adequate crimp ring. How's your hand grip on the offending Snappy Tom?
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. Ephesians 3

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadabob View Post
    1st thought: How did the ammo do on the plunk test? I once had a Walther 9mm that I had to load "short". I didn't like the fact that I had to load specifically for the Walther. The bullet ogive doesn't look squatty fat. Pic #4 shows a projectile with a nice adequate crimp ring. How's your hand grip on the offending Snappy Tom?
    They seemed to plunk fine, although I have no experience to know how much of the case is supported in the chamber. They rolled in and out with no indication of interference with the rifling. I was also surprised with the crimp ring evident. It is consistent around the diameter of the bullet even though not all photos show it well. They are seated and then finished with a Lee FCD.

There is always the chance with a new lightweight pistol, and it is at some 15 oz empty, that I could have let up on the grip. Could a lack of a firm grip under recoil result in bullet jump?

Member #
    Liked
    12369 times
    Good discussion..Maybe you need to break that pretty puppy in with some 124 grn factory, to ensure it runs.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    14520 times
    Just a thought ..... this could have been a round with only a primer and no powder.

Or so I’ve heard

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links