Primer Cost and Availability
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Primer Cost and Availability

  1. #1
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    34,910
    Liked
    46126 times

    Primer Cost and Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Anyone happen to have any small primer 45acp they want to get rid of? I have lots of large primer brass but I'm now down to about 700 Large Pistol Primers and no one locally has any pistol primers at all. I do have more than enough SPP to last me a long time.

    Tell me what you need and I will see if I can scrounge it up from the range. Just don't ask for Grendal or Creedmore, that stuff never hits the ground.
    I'm probably sitting on 500 +/- SPP 45 cases. Maybe we should look to do a local group purchase of LPP to spread out the hazmat charges...if we can find any that is.

    31.00/1000 at Natchez..plus S & H

    https://www.natchezss.com/cci-standa...ge-pistol.html

    with hazmat and shipping it's 201.00 for 5,000

    but Powder Valley and Midsouth are out of stock
    Last edited by Czechbikr; 06-22-2020 at 10:01 AM.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Member #
    22132
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Spacecoast, Fl.
    Posts
    18,375
    Liked
    20631 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    I'm probably sitting on 500 +/- SPP 45 cases. Maybe we should look to do a local group purchase of LPP to spread out the hazmat charges...if we can find any that is.

    31.00/1000 at Natchez..plus S & H

    https://www.natchezss.com/cci-standa...ge-pistol.html

    with hazmat and shipping it's 201.00 for 5,000

    but Powder Valley and Midsouth are out of stock
    I figured supplies would be low/out in most places but actually took a look after reading your post. As you say most things are out of stock but I am seeing that places have "match" primers in stock. With just a quick look it appears they are .01 more than regular primers.
    https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...tl-match-1000/
    DA-Auto likes this.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    34,910
    Liked
    46126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I figured supplies would be low/out in most places but actually took a look after reading your post. As you say most things are out of stock but I am seeing that places have "match" primers in stock. With just a quick look it appears they are .01 more than regular primers.
    https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...tl-match-1000/
    At 38.50 / 1000 however once shipping and hazmat are packed in they are probably a nickel per piece. I have a few hundred of those in stock and really dislike the primer trays which hold the primer sideways. The box takes up more room in the drawer and is a pain trying to get them into the Safety Prime. The last time I had to dump them on a paper plate and then pour them onto the Safety Prime.

    The cost of doing business is definitely rising. I hope that the Federal Reserve is aware of these inflationary trends.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    34,910
    Liked
    46126 times

    Primer Cost and Availability

    We diverged from swapping brass to a discussion of primers. I'm moving those here because it is an important topic and shouldn't muddy up the swapping brass thread...which needs all the activity it can get. I mean, come on guys...free brass for the price of postage!
    stupimlico and tobywan45 like this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

  6. #5
    Administrator

    Member #
    2203
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    34,829
    Liked
    33564 times
    I think this scare is here until the election, and possibly after, so if you got caught with no primers, you'd better pay what you have to. I'd say premium for primers is about $40 per box of 1,000. I'm not sure if we're going to see any sales on them for quite a while.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

    When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

    NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

  7. #6
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    34,910
    Liked
    46126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    I think this scare is here until the election, and possibly after, so if you got caught with no primers, you'd better pay what you have to. I'd say premium for primers is about $40 per box of 1,000. I'm not sure if we're going to see any sales on them for quite a while.
    That's my train of thought also. I am curious if hand loading people are stocking up and hoarding (there's a fine line there ) or if the primer production is being diverted to the production of finished rounds where the profit margin is greater.

    I looked at inventory yesterday and should look again today...makes me nervous.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

  8. #7
    Moderator

    Member #
    37162
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Country Living in NW Arkansas
    Posts
    8,120
    Liked
    12479 times
    I have been lucky enough to be able to get SPP, and LPM at my local LGS. However they are Winchester, which is not my go to brand. I did luck into 400 Federal SPP's the other day in Cabelas. I prefer Federal primers. I have 1100 SPP's now, 350 LPM's, and 100 SPM's. Don't like running this low, but already have 1500 9mm, 300 38spec, 300 45acp, and 100 44 mag loaded. So not hurting.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN



  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Member #
    22132
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Spacecoast, Fl.
    Posts
    18,375
    Liked
    20631 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    At 38.50 / 1000 however once shipping and hazmat are packed in they are probably a nickel per piece. I have a few hundred of those in stock and really dislike the primer trays which hold the primer sideways. The box takes up more room in the drawer and is a pain trying to get them into the Safety Prime. The last time I had to dump them on a paper plate and then pour them onto the Safety Prime.

    The cost of doing business is definitely rising. I hope that the Federal Reserve is aware of these inflationary trends.
    The hazmat is a given. It just helps to buy as many as possible! I had never seen the Fed. primer packaging until recently when I bought some large rifle primers. Who's "brilliant" idea what that!?
    Czechbikr likes this.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    34,910
    Liked
    46126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    The hazmat is a given. It just helps to buy as many as possible! I had never seen the Fed. primer packaging until recently when I bought some large rifle primers. Who's "brilliant" idea what that!?
    Some lawyer?
    darbo and jwc007 like this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Member #
    22132
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Spacecoast, Fl.
    Posts
    18,375
    Liked
    20631 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    Some lawyer?
    No doubt about that!
    jwc007 likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •