To clean or not to clean ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: To clean or not to clean ?

Member #
    Liked
    1838 times

To clean or not to clean ?

Just wondering if anyone wipes their cases down after reloading to get the case lube off. Could the case lube cause the chamber and carrier bolt to get gooked up?
    hombre243 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8560 times
    Yes.

I don't know how bad it would be for the guns but I ain't taking chances. Never seen the sense of making work for myself. Every round gets wiped down if I use case lube on that batch.
    Taurus1965 and TheOldRedneck like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46137 times
    After my rifle cases are lubed, re-sized and trimmed if necessary they get tumbled for a short while to clean any lube off the case. Into storage awaiting the next loading.
    william, Lomax, olfarhors and 6 others like this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33581 times
    I've used an old t-shirt to wipe the case after I size/deprime it. I've never had an issue doing it this way.
    jwc007 and Taurus1965 like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    8203 times
    For pistol I use One Shot. Never cleaned after loading, never had a problem.

For rifle, I use case lube on a lube pad. After loading I dump cases on a towel, put another on top, rub it around a bit. Never had a problem.
    Taurus1965 and muddcatt54 like this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

"The greater part of mankind . . . walk blindfolded in this glorious theater." John Calvin

We will continue to make our republic the inspiration, the glory, and the envy of the rest of the world. As long as we are confident in our values, loyal to our citizens, and faithful to our God, there is no limit to what we can achieve. ​President Donald J. Trump, Feb 29, 2020.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1936 times
    When reloading for my rifles I used to de-prime, lube for sizing, then pass the cases to my 'man' Jeeves, the gun room manager who, with a little assistance from Chrighton, the gun room under-manager, would inspect each case for imperfections and polish each case until it shone. These then, in bulk, would be passed to Roger's, a boot-boy on secondment to the gun room, for careful packing into boxes of 100 cases, ready to be reloaded.

Reloading was an extra-special affair and one to which those of the gentle sex were suitable equipped to handle. Nimble fingers was the order of the day and the two seconded parlour-maids, Ernestine and Evadne, became very adept at throwing powder and seating bullets. The priming was left to Mrs Arbuthnot who, with arms like hams, had little trouble getting the primers to seat well into the case pocket.

Mrs Hampton-Atkinson Wikes was an educated lady with a fine hand in penmanship and 'twas she who inscribed labels for the boxes of 100 live rounds, to be used on the estate.

Trouble is, now, you just can't get the staff...!!
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35570 times
    I only reload pistol cases and use carbide dies, so no wiping. Before carbide dies, I did do a lot of wiping after reloading.
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    28439 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus1965 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone wipes their cases down after reloading to get the case lube off. Could the case lube cause the chamber and carrier bolt to get gooked up?
    NOPE!
    not me!
    I use only carbide for reloading pistols and I resize/deprime and then clean/ store rifle cases to be loaded when needed, so the cases are clean and ready to go when I get them out to load them.
    Taurus1965 and oso like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    6193 times
    I like clean cases. Sometimes bullet lube can get smeared on the cases. I tumble lube some lead bullets and that crap is messy. I wipe down the cases for sure then. Jacketed and plated, usually not. But, If I am sweating...for sure, yes.
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    hombre

Never forget...9/11/01

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47735 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    After my rifle cases are lubed, re-sized and trimmed if necessary they get tumbled for a short while to clean any lube off the case. Into storage awaiting the next loading.
    This is what I do, basically all my rifle brass gets cleaned twice.

Surprising how many flecks of brass comes out after the second cleaning. I suspect these are burs that get stuck inside the case in the case lube during the trimming phase.
    william, olfarhors and oso like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links