Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Do you count your Bullet/Brass orders?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • No, never.

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Sometimes.

Votes: 13 35.1%

Do you count your bullet and or brass order?

3K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  glenwolde 
#1 ·
....Interestingly, I was missing 16 bullets in my first box of 500 Xtreme bullets. I'm getting close to finding out how many, if any, I'm short in my second box....I'm kinda touchy that way, if I pay for a certain number of bullets, I expect that many. I had another thread where I was shorted 5 bullets in each box of 250 of 45acp, and they mailed me 10 bullets pretty quickly. I'll see how Xtreme handles it.
Above is a partial quote from another thread.

I think it is funny that people count bullets and or brass when they order them. Okay I do it as well. Why???? Not sure, every time I am right on or a few over. Never been shorted.

I don't trust my counting so I use empty factory ammo trays, I always have a bunch on hand from recycling (garbage picking) at the range. I place 50 round ammo tray in a large plastic bowl I have and then dump the bullets or brass in until the try is full, shake it around, make sure every hole is full then grab another tray and repeat. As the bottom of the bowl gets full I scoop them out and dump them on top again. Makes the counting go real fast. Then I just count the trays an multiply by 50 and I have my count.

Do you count your bullet and or brass orders? Why? Any tips on making the process quicker or easier?

#4 ·
I just make note when I get down to the last 100. I'll count out the last 100 into a bin, and see what I'm looking at before I get there. I've had some pretty terrible luck here recently, with Berrys and with Xtreme now, I'm not sure why quality control would be so lacking in two completely separate companies. But, I paid for those bullets, by gum, and I want them. :guns:

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo
#6 · (Edited)
The most common type of ammo theft around here is in the large gun stores. Young people will take a few out of boxes which they can easily get out of the store without getting caught. Usually they are paid by criminals to do it. As a result gun stores are moving their stock behind the counter, which sucks, because I like being able to look it over before buying it. If they aren't checking them before shipping them then you'll come up short.

Edit:
Disregard this post. I didn't realize it was about loading your own. I'm a beginner.

#18 · (Edited)
...As a result gun stores are moving their stock behind the counter, which sucks, because I like being able to look it over before buying it.
If I were buying ammo from a store I'd rather they have it behind the counter because it would be real easy for some sicko to slip a double or triple loaded cartridge in the box and blow you and your gun up. There are real nuts out there today. It's not like in the old days.

Same type of people that'll spike a tree with a steel spike so a logger can be injured or killed or at least tear up his equipment while cutting down a tree with a chainsaw. The gun grabbing people are no better than the tree huggers.

#7 ·
I do runs of 100 at a time. So, if I load 100 primers into my machine at a time, and have a box of 500 projectiles, by the time I do 5 sleeves of primers, I should break even or have some projectiles left over. Just about always have 3 to 5 bullets remaining.

#8 ·
By the way, I just got 1,000 bullets from Missouri Bullets, I usually don't bother with those bullets because its ALWAYS 3-7 bullets over what I ordered, but I will definitely notice it if that changes.

#11 ·
Do I count them when I receive them? No.

But unless you're not paying attention it's impossible not to count when you're loading. I go to load 100. I open a bag or box of brass containing 100. Open a box of 100 bullets. How do I not notice if I'm shorted or have too much when I'm done?

That said, it's almost guaranteed that if you buy larger Starline brass that you're going to end up with 99. Never have gotten 101, but 99 shows up more than 100.

#12 ·
I don't count them, because the smallest lot I order is in boxes of 500, 1000, or more and even if it's doing nothing, I've got better things to do. Maybe I've been lucky but I've never come up short.

My problem comes when the opposite happens (which is with almost every box, which is another reason I don't bother with counting) -- there will be an additional four to six or so. Generally I'll just load them up, odd number or not. But sometimes I won't, and I HATE throwing stuff out that could be useful later. So I make a note, then drop them into a plastic lure tray. Sometimes I'll use them when I return to that particular load, sometimes I just hang onto them 'for later'

The problem comes because 'later' never seems to. So under my bench I've got somewhere north of a hundred or so bullets for just about every caliber I load, in lots of five or six, and I don't plan on spending the time to set up the press to load five cartridges at a time.

I guess I'll just hang on to them for the slingshot.

Reactions: olfarhors
#13 ·
HELL NO!
I don't count pennies that I find in my pocket either!
I order at least boxes of 500 projectiles, usually 1000, ain't no way I am going to set down and count them, much less being product of the public Education system I couldn't count that high anyway!
what I can say is that when approaching the end of a box of 500-1000 projectiles I normally have a few left over, and I load and put Booletts in either 50 or 100 round boxes.
got to go now and count the Cherrios in my cereal box!-----

Attachments

#16 ·
Actually as I'm counting brass I'm inspecting them . Recently bought 1500 once fired 9mm Luger from local indoor range.
Found 4 - 380 acp , 2 - 38 super and 1 - 38 AMU cases . 1- Berdan primed and one steel case .
After removing these and 3 cases that were worn from reloading & shooting too many times I had 1500 + 10 extra 9mm cases .
They claimed to send 1500 + 20 extra... I actually received 1522 cases in my bag ...they did good.

If you are interested I got the once fired brass from Precision Once Fired Brass in Baton Rouge , La. and was well pleased .
They send enough extra to cover any unusable brass that gets by their sorting .
Gary

#17 ·
Been reloading for about 12 years - I started out late in life at 59- lol

NO - I've never made the effort required to prove the vendors wrong over a few pennies worth of lead, copper or brass. I'd 'suspect' that for every time I'd find I was shorted there would be another time when I got sent too many. Since it is highly unlikely I'd mail the overage back to the vendor, I'm not likely to whinge about a small shortage.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck
#19 ·
Recently bought 45 Colt once fired brass from Northeast Reloading Supply in New jersey. Paid $66 for 2 orders of 250 each or 500 casings total. I'm happy to report the brass was clean and looked like new. And no nickle! Total count was 515 casings. The price included shipping. Couldn't be happier
Also bought new Jagman 45 Colt brass from Natchez. They're packaged 100 per pack and cost $21.49 per pack. They included 2-3 extra casings per pack. Of course shipping was extra. Jagman makes a great product.

#20 ·
Okay, since I was the culprit who got caught counting his bullets, I thought I'd give an update. I was short 16 bullets in my first box of 500 Xtreme 40 cal bullets. I opened my second box, and I'm down to my last 100, and I'm 10 short. Am I being an anal old man by caring that they're screwing me on these bullets? I hope not, it just bothers me that quality control seems to be so low, that multiple companies are letting things like this get through. I've emailed Xtreme and I'll let you know what they say.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo
#21 ·
There's no, 'got caught' about it; I'd say your experience has given you good reason to count. 16 short in a 500 box, then 10 in the next -- given those circumstances, I'd likely be counting too, if I kept buying from that vendor. That's over half-a-box of loaded cartridges you're short.

#25 ·
If companies don't know customers are being shorted they won't know to check equipment calibration or procedures.

#27 ·
Back when I was handloading, I would not have counted the bullets in the box, but I certainly counted how many rounds I'd loaded, so I would have noticed if my boxes of 25 didn't load out to the correct number of rounds.

#28 ·
When I started in this I didn’t have brass in two calibers I wanted to load...so I bought from clean brass site. Their claim was they added extra in case any unusable cases got mixed in. Luckily, the box was pretty mashed when it arrived, and loose shells were everywhere...and perhaps some got lost, as the box was broken open in one corner. So I counted out the brass...I was a few over in the 380, but about 15 short in the 40 S&W. The price was fantastic but I thought nothing of it...they asked for a review and gave them 4 stars out of 5. The owner wanted an explanation, and what he could do to get 5 stars. I told him if he wanted to send me 15 40s I’d be satisfied.
He didn’t want me satisfied, he wanted me as a repeat customer...so he sent me 500 in each caliber. So naturally I felt bad...but he won me over. I buy all of my once-fired brass from them.

For bullets that I buy bulk, I just weigh them. I use a kitchen scale, as when I tried with my loading scale I had to do 10 bullets at a time. Not doing that again. So now I use a scale that does ounces and lbs. If the math is as expected I consider it good. I’m always making up trial ladders of new loads, so I never expect to match primers with projectiles...too many moving pieces.

#30 ·
The majority of the time I'll have one or two more, but that's usually in boxes of 500. I always figured the boxes were loaded by weight and the odd numbers were just part of a weight variance in individual units.

#31 ·
I would agree and most of the time my bullets weight in slightly less than advertised so in theory a few extra should end up in there.

#32 ·
My Brazos 45 Colt 255 grn SWC order arrived yesterday. They advertise 412 projectiles and my count netted 415. The bullets looked nice and uniform. They ship these in a small flat priority mail box and the bullets packed it out well. No need to pack them in a bigger box.

#33 ·
Interesting, I wonder if they sell in quantities that fit the small flat priority box. I'll have to check their site out.

#34 ·
I do not count, friend owned a ammo/reloading supply company. The bulk bullets, brass etc were counted by weight and boxed. Something was said about being shorted on Starline brass being short. I have been short on Starline that I bought from vendors. Never been short on brass ordered from Starline, usually bulk orders of 1000 or more for each caliber/cartridge. Some vendors buy bulk from factory and repack for resale in smaller lots. When loading usually in lots of 50 or more. Testing in 5 to 10 round groups, 25 to 50 rounds per set so shortage or over is evident. Most commercial bullet makers and casters are on or over, there will be exceptions. Wasn't pleased being shorted 250 custom bullets on one order. That was a full box and the caster made the order right. I do not load or shoot as much. Closed my private range and gave a friend most of the steel targets etc. Do not coach or teach, doubtful will again. Would not count bullets, brass or primers if I did. Loading in lots of 25, 50, 100 etc will show up short or over fill orders. Most of the companies, large or one man operations are honest. They will make mistakes, usually quick to make things right. Wasn't happy about being shorted a box of custom cast big bore bullets but didn't lose sleep over it. He made it up. As a kid money was tight, counted everything. Easy to understand doing it but I just dont.

#35 ·
I don't count but usually know by the way I load if I was shorted. I have been. But it's not worth my time for $1.24 worth of bullets. I'll say something about it on my next order and if they are consistently short I'll buy elsewhere. But I try to give them credit for the extra ones I do get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.