Factory as opposed to reloads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Factory as opposed to reloads.

Member #
    Liked
    3971 times

Factory as opposed to reloads.

I would like to pose this question to anyone, everyone that may be able to explain this.

Why is it that when reviewing new guns the reviewers always s have a large selection of different brands, types and weights of bullets to run thru them and then also comment like well this particular bullet wouldn't run. It wouldn't Cycle or had other problems and then the reviewer would pass that ammo off as it just doesn't work in this gun.

But then I see it time and time again that when someone posts a question about a particular round they are trying to load most times it always comes back that the reloader had done something wrong? Or they just don't know what they are doing! Seldom, almost never, have I seen where anyone has come back and stated that we have tried it and that bullet just doesn't work in that gun?

Was just having a conversation with someone, a real arrogant AH, that says he can make any bullet run in any gun, no doubts about it. After that I had to leave the conversation.
    markr6754 likes this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32305 times
    I think as long as you're using standard practices for reloading, and staying within the parameters set forth in the reloading manual, that you're doing everything you can on your part. Now, that's not to say that a lower charge of powder might not cycle a certain type of firearm - I've read stories of lower powder charged 9mm not cycling a Glock, for example. But, I think that when you buy factory ammo, you're buying something that generically should cycle and function in most guns you shoot it in. Of course, some guns won't like this factory ammo or that factory ammo, but overall they make it to function in a broad spectrum of guns on the market. That's why you typically don't see stunning accuracy from factory ammo, unless you happen to find one that really gets along well with your particular gun.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    19978 times
    Just a couple experiences I have had with ammo. Will they answer your questions? Probably not!

A few years ago I bought some, I think, 200gr. plated SWC to load for my PT1911 .45acp. They wouldn't feed reliably. I did try a few different OAL on the cartridge but they wouldn't work. My solution? Buy some 200gr. plated ball! They feed just fine no tweaking needed. That same gun has in the past ran 185gr lead SWC just fine. And it runs 200gr. Hornady XTPs, fairly large hollow point, just fine too. Of course all of that is handloads.

As for factory ammo the only thing I have encountered that was a large problem was some 9mm ammo my friend bought to run through his HK VP9. The stuff is MaxxTech, not Magtech, and it was the absolute worst ammo I have ever seen! It had the step down inside the case. The HK would simply not cycle more than 2 rounds and only managed that a couple times.

So does any of that answer your questions? Probably not, just a couple experiences I have had.
    texastaurusguy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3971 times
    Don't know that there is an answer, only the question/thought.

To me it appears the perception is that not all factory ammo will perform/work in every gun and that is acceptable, yet that is not the case for handloads. Such as the case of the lead SWC I just tried casting and loading. With the 2 different 45acp guns I own I have loaded RN and TC with no problems other than needed to load them shorter than most listed data. At this point I have not tried any HP or other SWC designs. I do wish I would have done more research before starting with that mold and I would have found that the SWC is near impossible to load for the Springfield XD unless it is a XDm model.

Again I watch the video reviews and there will always seem to be some form of HP that will not cycle well so why can't we expect that with handloads?
    darbo likes this.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    Factory ammo has to meet certain standards while reloads do not. That is why if a firearm will not load a certain factory ammo it is noted but reloads only meet the requirements of the reloader.
    So the reason for reloads being held in doubt is the reloader themselves.
    NativeTexan and olfarhors like this.
    Shut up and reload!

Member #
    Liked
    3971 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
    Factory ammo has to meet certain standards while reloads do not. That is why if a firearm will not load a certain factory ammo it is noted but reloads only meet the requirements of the reloader.
    So the reason for reloads being held in doubt is the reloader themselves.
    So if a factory round has been found to be unreliable in a particular gun should I as a reloader be able to take those same components, brass and bullets, and make them reliable? Seeing as most issues are chambering related which powders and primers play no part in.

Do you believe that some guns just do not particularly like certain bullet profiles? Regardless of who is loading it.

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    You pose an interesting question, and I feel where you’re coming from. I recently bought a Springfield EMP 40 S&W. Prior to receiving the gun I picked up 4 different boxes of factory ammo, as I had plenty of reloads on hand, but never start a new pistol on my own cooking. Other than what looked like some incredibly light primer strikes...everything fired except one round of MaxxTech, and that fired on the 2nd strike. So out of curiosity, I measured the various fired cases, as well unfired rounds from each box, and discovered the cases were all different lengths, the rounds were all different C.O.L.s, and the brass differed in thickness from one brand to another. By smell I could tell that every brand used a different powder, and by coloration, all of the primers were different.
    Clearly, “factory ammo” is as different as my reloads are from yours.
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1592 times
    Ammo and guns are not created equal. Design specs that created and utilized 9mm Parabellum have strayed all all over the place through the past decades.

I had a Finnish K-31 that threw modern factory nines sideways at 50 yards. The rifle's pristine bore had a .358'' groove diameter and the factory bullets I used were measured at .355'' diameter. I had good luck using 147 gr. truncated cone lead sized to 358''.

Later on a beautiful Walther P-38 crossed my path. Same issue as with the K-31, having a .358'' groove diameter, but with shallow rifling. The ammo I hand loaded for the Finnish worked fine in the P-38 also. No more shotgun pattern.

If buying factory ammo were my only option, then I'd try hunting and pecking for that perfect round that makes my gun run well.

Since I'm too cheap to buy decent factory ammo and have owned several guns requiring ammo which is no longer being manufactured, I reload.

As for the guy who can make any bullet run in any gun... yea, right. Send him my way.
    kmw1954 and william like this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    If a factory round will not work correctly, a reloader "may" be able to take the components and make them work in the same firearm.
    I am saying the reloader is the one who sets standards for their reloads and the standards may not meet those of others or SAMMI standards.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Shut up and reload!

Member #
    Liked
    5630 times
    When you buy factory ammo you're buying "off the rack". It will fit most people okay but on different people the
    sleeves may be too short, might be a little loose in the hips, heaven help you're my wife trying to find a pair
    of jeans that fits.

When YOU are a reloader, you're a TAILOR. What you're making should fit the person your making it for perfectly.
    There's no reason why it shouldn't.

Honestly, in forty years of reloading, the only loads I've made that wouldn't function in all my guns were my own
    fault.

Just my two cents.

All the Best,
    D. White
    Last edited by dwhite; Yesterday at 04:06 AM.
    nevadabob, william and tobywan45 like this.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links