Got it! Snubby 45 Colt Revolver loads...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Got it! Snubby 45 Colt Revolver loads...

Member #
    Liked
    855 times

Got it! Snubby 45 Colt Revolver loads...

Worked up some loads for my new Charter Arms Bulldog 45 Colt ( 2.5 inch barrel) and hit the range with my chrono. I use the Lee Breechlock single stage with pro auto disk and Lee 4 die set. I don't crimp with the seating die but use the FCD with a moderate crimp on MBC's Hi-Tek Cowboy #1 250 grain. I crimp on the crimp groove. Primers were Federal LPP. Remember, this is a snubby and the bullets can jump crimp due to recoil:

Titegroup Autodisk #49 hole: drops 5.8 grains FPS mid 650's.

HP38 Autodisk #61 hole: drops 6.7 grains FPS mid 650's.

SR 7625 (this powder no longer available but I bought a bunch before it was dc'd) Autodisk #76 hole: drops 7.3 grains
    FPS mid 650's.

Accurate #5 Autodisk #61 hole: drops 9.5 grains FPS high 600's.

Bullseye Autodisk #66 hole: drops 6.5 grains FPS FPS low 700's.

Alliant e3. There is no published handgun data for e3. I have used it previously in my 9's and 38 spcl at much lower grains than reported here. Autodisk #82 hole drops 5.2 grains FPS mid 650's. Autodisk #88 hole: drops 5.6 grains FPS high 600's. Internet chatter places e3 similar to Red Dot.

My take away: Even though I shot with a bench rest these all appear to be comfy shooting loads. I'll stick with the higher FPS loads. All loads exhibited no bad behavior such as tumblers, flyers, or jagged target holes. I have a Lee 2nd edition load book to reference and the Lee die set load guidelines. Plus I look at MD Smith's and Steve's Pages online.

It was a great day shooting under the blue Nevada sky!
    Last edited by nevadabob; Yesterday at 07:09 AM.
    silverstring and 777Driver like this.
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. Ephesians 3

Member #
    Liked
    30030 times
    Are you talking about the Pitbull in .45 ACP?
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    4973 times
    Alliant e3 has been out in the marketplace for over 15 years and still Alliant has not published any handgun reloading data. Alliant wants to sell their powders, they just don't want you to use e3 in handguns.
    Maybe because for some reason, they found it unsuitable, inconsistent, or dangerous to use as a handgun powder.

Stay Safe out there!
    jtg452 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    855 times
    MOONDAWG...Not the Pitbull but the Bulldog #74530. This has a slightly bigger frame than the 44 Bulldog.

Bruntson...Point well taken. Enos Forum folks have been using it in handguns for some time. Very clean burning.
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. Ephesians 3

Member #
    Liked
    30030 times
    I only asked because the .45 ACP (VS. .45 Long Colt) is the only .45 listed on their factory website.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    8022 times
    Still think you ought to try a compressed load of FFFg Goex or Swiss.

You'll find it to be enlightening.
    Smokewagon likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    855 times
    MOONDAWG...When you go to the Charter Arms site and click on the Bulldog product line, it comes up with the other Bulldog models. Look to the lower left on their pics of all the Bulldogs and there will be a pic with #74530. That's it.
    Purchased mine from www.g4gguns.com at a nice price.

Member #
    Liked
    4973 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadabob View Post
    MOONDAWG...Not the Pitbull but the Bulldog #74530. This has a slightly bigger frame than the 44 Bulldog.

Bruntson...Point well taken. Enos Forum folks have been using it in handguns for some time. Very clean burning.
    Beware of forum folks home grown reloading recipes. The propellent engineers at Alliant know best. It's a poor practice to share or use other folks reloading powder data that they developed. Recently, I have seen this rule violated with over enthusiastic reloaders. The internet is full of great people but it still has a percentage of troublemakers and incompetent people that don't give 2 cents about your safety
    jtg452 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3172 times
    I'm surprised you didn't try Reddot.

Maloy

Member #
    Liked
    8022 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruntson View Post
    Beware of forum folks home grown reloading recipes. The propellent engineers at Alliant know best. It's a poor practice to share or use other folks reloading powder data that they developed. Recently, I have seen this rule violated with over enthusiastic reloaders. The internet is full of great people but it still has a percentage of troublemakers and incompetent people that don't give 2 cents about your safety
    That's why I don't give out smokeless powder load data.

All it takes is a missed error typing on my part or a screw up reading my post to ruin a perfectly good gun or worse. I also can't control all of the other variables in loading ammunition or the epically bad decisions that some reloaders are capable of making.

With the One True Powder, you fill the case enough to compress the powder about 1/8 of an inch and roll with it.
    Bruntson likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links