.357 Remington Maximum
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By gbusmech
  • 1 Post By texastaurusguy
  • 1 Post By elPescador
  • 2 Post By TheOldRedneck
  • 2 Post By Aggie

Thread: .357 Remington Maximum

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Member #
    19419
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    2,743
    Liked
    2412 times

    .357 Remington Maximum

    Anyone loading for .357max ?
    The data I have/use is bits and pieces from manuals and powder mfg's ,
    but I would like more choices.
    For example, anyone use No.9 ?

  2. #2
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    22625
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rust Belt USA
    Posts
    16,724
    Liked
    21245 times
    I load my 357 Max carbine with Lil Gun but have other powders; 296, H110, 2400 and more but with my 18" barrel Lil Gun gets the speed and accuracy nod with 158 to 180 grain bullets. In our limited cartridge zone in Michigan it works very well and we have taken many deer with my 357 Max carbine.
    I would think the modern 350 Legend carbine is a very close relative if anything nothing more than the 357 max without a rimed case. you could look at loading data for that cartridge if you are using it in a carbine.
    Handguns are another story and there are a few here that are real good with reloading for them.
    elPescador and TheOldRedneck like this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

    The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

    "No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

    Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.




  3. #3
    Administrator

    Member #
    2203
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    34,245
    Liked
    32448 times
    Which bullet weight are you interested in?

    **Warning - the following contains load data and should always be verified before use.**

    My 8th edition Hornady book contains a load for A No. 9 for a 160 gr. XTP hollowpoint. it shows:

    starting load 15.8 gr. at 1,550 fps, going up to 18.3 grains MAX at 1,700 fps.

    The other two bullets, a 180 gr. XTP and a 200 gr. FTX, show no load data for A. No. 9.
    elPescador likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

    When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

    NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Member #
    19419
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    2,743
    Liked
    2412 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    Which bullet weight are you interested in?

    **Warning - the following contains load data and should always be verified before use.**

    My 8th edition Hornady book contains a load for A No. 9 for a 160 gr. XTP hollowpoint. it shows:

    starting load 15.8 gr. at 1,550 fps, going up to 18.3 grains MAX at 1,700 fps.

    The other two bullets, a 180 gr. XTP and a 200 gr. FTX, show no load data for A. No. 9.
    I have a bunch of hardcast from 158gr to 220gr , and have some 158gr, 180gr., and 200gr coated bullets on the way.
    I also have some XTP and Gold Dot jacketed in various weights, and some Berry's plated.
    I can load the jacketed for hunting rounds on the slower presses, no worries, but I am looking for a couple of
    medium loads for target with hardcast basically.
    I don't have the Hornady 8th , so thank you much. My calculations for hardcast 158gr is 14gr No.9 (start) , using
    Remington 7 1/2 SRP , which seems to be the most used primer in all the (limited) data I have.

    The .357max never really 'took off'' , which is surely why load data is so limited, but there has to be folks that
    love it like I do.....and have lots of data, in notebooks, binders, pc files, etc.
    David White has built some awesome single shots for the .357max and had a wonderful forum, but I can't find it anymore.
    Perhaps I am mistaken, or had a brain-fart......the reason(s) I can't find it now.

    Thank you TTG

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Member #
    19419
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    2,743
    Liked
    2412 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gbusmech View Post
    I load my 357 Max carbine with Lil Gun but have other powders; 296, H110, 2400 and more but with my 18" barrel Lil Gun gets the speed and accuracy nod with 158 to 180 grain bullets. In our limited cartridge zone in Michigan it works very well and we have taken many deer with my 357 Max carbine.
    I would think the modern 350 Legend carbine is a very close relative if anything nothing more than the 357 max without a rimed case. you could look at loading data for that cartridge if you are using it in a carbine.
    Handguns are another story and there are a few here that are real good with reloading for them.
    Yes, I have a 22' [Henry] barrel and a 12" [Contender] barrel.
    I use a Dillon 550B which likes ball powders to meter consistently.
    For short barrel revolvers I like (mostly) W231, but long revolver barrels (7 1/2" and up),
    I have great results with No.9, and it meters well. I always keep plenty of these two powders.

    The No.9 has excellent performance in the Ruger M77/357 for magnums, as well as all my lever
    guns [Marlin, Browning, Rossi, etc.], and in my 8"-12" Contender barrels, so I thought it might be
    good for the Maximum with 158gr and 180gr.
    I have many other powders [Trail Boss, Lil' Gun, 2400, H4227, Unique, AA1680, to name a few],
    but they don't meter consistently well in the 550B , so I have to use slower presses to load with them.
    I am going to try H110 and No.7 in the Max.
    Thanks Bus, for the reply.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Member #
    22674
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,356
    Liked
    4396 times
    Do not have data available to me now, not at home and if i was it is in storage. Replaced floor of shop and moved everything. I shot 357 max in revolvers and Contenders for years. The Contenders with longer barrels gave better performance with slower burn rate powders in longer barrels. Revolver problems with flame cutting over barrel/cylinder gap at forcing cone wasnt a problem with bullets over 158 grains and different powders. The 357 max has a good following on singleaction forum. Davids site www.precisionriflesmith.com was up yesterday? He did a thread on a 45 acp/auto rim H&R handy rifle on Saubier a friend linked to me and looked at his site. As to the 357 max the rimless version of it becoming a factory round has brought a lot of the old data back up. "New" factory rimless being same basic round as rimless wildcat that used 357 max data when developing
    gbusmech and elPescador like this.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Member #
    58033
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Gatesville, Texas
    Posts
    1,561
    Liked
    833 times
    I shot mine out of TC Contender for IHMSA Competition. I used data from IHMSA and peer shooters. Mainly I fired 200 gr and 180 gr FMJs (based on availability). The 357 Maximum hit hard and was as effective as a 44 Magnum for all steel targets, even rams at 200 yds.

    https://ihmsa.org/index.html

    357 max -

    Led by such handgun pioneers as Lee Jurras, Hal Swiggett, Elgin Gates and John Adams, silhouette competition came about in the mid 1970's

    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...-read.3965426/

    There is enough info here to get you started.
    olfarhors and elPescador like this.

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Member #
    19419
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    2,743
    Liked
    2412 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldRedneck View Post
    Do not have data available to me now, not at home and if i was it is in storage. Replaced floor of shop and moved everything. I shot 357 max in revolvers and Contenders for years. The Contenders with longer barrels gave better performance with slower burn rate powders in longer barrels. Revolver problems with flame cutting over barrel/cylinder gap at forcing cone wasnt a problem with bullets over 158 grains and different powders. The 357 max has a good following on singleaction forum. Davids site www.precisionriflesmith.com was up yesterday? He did a thread on a 45 acp/auto rim H&R handy rifle on Saubier a friend linked to me and looked at his site. As to the 357 max the rimless version of it becoming a factory round has brought a lot of the old data back up. "New" factory rimless being same basic round as rimless wildcat that used 357 max data when developing
    " As to the 357 max the rimless version of it "---are you talking about the 350 Legend ?
    Thanks for David's link, I will check it.
    I would love to find data from folks that used No.9 in 12" to 22" barrels. If you run across (any) of your Max data, please let me know.
    I have worked up many loads for new and semi-obsolete cartridges that have little data available. Simple if I get a 'maximum' charge
    or a 'minimum' charge to begin with, but so many times the powder used is the main concern, when no data is available.
    Example: .327fedmag......when it first came out. I always test with a barrel like Contender, or in the case of .327fed....a Blackhawk.
    Since I mainly use a Dillon 550B, I try to keep all powders in 'ball' because it meters better, but limits some of my testing.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Thanks for the reply.......

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Member #
    19419
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    2,743
    Liked
    2412 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    I shot mine out of TC Contender for IHMSA Competition. I used data from IHMSA and peer shooters. Mainly I fired 200 gr and 180 gr FMJs (based on availability). The 357 Maximum hit hard and was as effective as a 44 Magnum for all steel targets, even rams at 200 yds.

    https://ihmsa.org/index.html

    357 max -

    Led by such handgun pioneers as Lee Jurras, Hal Swiggett, Elgin Gates and John Adams, silhouette competition came about in the mid 1970's

    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...-read.3965426/

    There is enough info here to get you started.
    Thank you so very much.....I should have known to look at the comp shooters, I now (thanks to you)
    remember the matches using the Max for hard hitting at a distance !!!
    I have a notebook with data for the Max......from at least 25yrs ago, but only God knows where it is,
    and if I did find where it is stored I probably have a bunch of components [for what they are worth today].
    I remember ???? when the Max was in it's prime, then it seemed to vaporize out of sight. I only had a Blackhawk then,
    and a Contender barrel that was reamed [.357mag 8" octagonal]. IIRC brass wasn't good for many reloads, didn't hunt
    with them, and for some reason moved on to [something], and don't know why. I am trying to rejuvenate it for myself,
    and like so many things as time goes on, certain 'tools' fall by the wayside (so to speak).
    Thank you very much for the links, I will devour them.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Member #
    7618
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    322
    Liked
    129 times
    These are maximum Maximum loads taken from Paco Kelly's data:
    158gr Sierra JSP.....21.5gr AA9.....CCI #450 primer
    180gr Sierra FPJ.....20.0gr AA9.....CCI #450 primer
    I would work up very slowly as Paco's loads tend to be stout. However, J. C. Munnell lists the same data in a 1984 article for Handloader Magazine.
    As a note AA4100/Ramshot Enforcer (the same powder) can use the same load data but burns 3% slower so it might be better suited for longer barrels.
    Last edited by crossfire; 02-13-2020 at 11:49 PM.

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •