Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Really dirty brass!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1681 times

Really dirty brass!

Anyone know what could be causing this? Unburned powder or case not resized properly.Name:  IMG_3845.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  1.03 MB

Member #
    Liked
    8098 times
    Crimp tension, low powder charge, undersized bullets.

My bet is numbers 1 and 2 without any further information.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1681 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Crimp tension, low powder charge, undersized bullets.

My bet is numbers 1 and 2 without any further information.
    Thanks.Think you are correct. These were my first attempt at .458 socom reloads. Most of the info I was getting was load with light crimp and start at a very low powder charge.
    Yissnakk likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5239 times
    Near zero case expansion. Try upping the powder charge 10 to 15%.

Member #
    Liked
    9432 times
    Blow back or blow by not sure exactly what you call it. Looks like
    the round is too small for the chamber or visa versa.

Member #
    Liked
    8098 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus1965 View Post
    Thanks.Think you are correct. These were my first attempt at .458 socom reloads. Most of the info I was getting was load with light crimp and start at a very low powder charge.
    Crimp tension is important for obtaining a good seal- especially with light loads. It delays the bullet pull enough to let the case swell and seal the chamber.

You see the same sort of thing with .45Colt loads using light bullets and light powder charges in lever action rifles. Some folks in CAS want to use 200gr (which is light for .45Colt) or even lighter bullets over minimal powder charges but complain about taking a face full of the blow by from their rounds. With a .45Colt load, you can watch the discoloring on the side of brass retreat as you increase the powder charge.

Either crimp the snot out of them to delay the bullet from leaving the cartridge until a seal is obtained or up the powder charge. You might not get rid of it completely, but you can get it so that it's just near the case mouth.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47108 times
    I suffered this blow back scorching in .32 S&W Long for a long time. I started loading to above current load data standards before I finally got enough case expansion to eliminate the blow back.
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7832 times
    What JTG ^^^ said, plus, check your OAL and maybe try a bit deeper before you up the charge. I seated my Poly coated lead 300gn bullets at 2.035 - but was using a less than optimal powder. I'm going to try IMR4227 pretty soon.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    27744 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Crimp tension is important for obtaining a good seal- especially with light loads. It delays the bullet pull enough to let the case swell and seal the chamber.

You see the same sort of thing with .45Colt loads using light bullets and light powder charges in lever action rifles. Some folks in CAS want to use 200gr (which is light for .45Colt) or even lighter bullets over minimal powder charges but complain about taking a face full of the blow by from their rounds. With a .45Colt load, you can watch the discoloring on the side of brass retreat as you increase the powder charge.

Either crimp the snot out of them to delay the bullet from leaving the cartridge until a seal is obtained or up the powder charge. You might not get rid of it completely, but you can get it so that it's just near the case mouth.

agreed, I am shooting sub sonic from my 300 Black out (208, 210, 220 grain projectile) and nary a sign of blow by, good powder selection at the correct amount (but not to much) and a good crimp with a Lee FCD
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1681 times
    Going to start with 30 gr. and a little heavier crimp and work up. Using 350 gr. Berry bullet. Going to try an OAL of 2.10. Will post results.
    Yissnakk likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links