Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Load data for .458 Socom?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1669 times

Load data for .458 Socom?

I have tried to find some load data for .458 socom and have found very little. Looking to use H110 and berry 350 gr. bullets. Any info would be appreciated.
    Yissnakk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    20096 times
    This is a PDF from the Accurate powder website. It looks like they do list loads for the .458 Socom. None of my books and the first 2 mfg. websites I looked at didn't have any data. So yes you were having trouble finding any load data for that cartridge.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con....0-Web-REV.pdf
    Taurus1965 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    When I started useing Berrys plated bullets, I contacted them for load data information. The next business day I received an e mail from them that stated they have no publishing data as of yet but that I can use published data for hard cast lead bullets of the same weight keeping the velocity down to. 1,250 fps max for standard plate bullets and
    1,500 fps max for their thick plate bullets
    I hope this helps you

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Taurus1965 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1669 times
    Thanks. The best i could come up with from other forums is starting Gr. for H110 is 28 w/ berry 350gr fn bullet w/ OAL around 2.06.
    Yissnakk likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7829 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus1965 View Post
    Thanks. The best i could come up with from other forums is starting Gr. for H110 is 28 w/ berry 350gr fn bullet w/ OAL around 2.06.
    The Lymans 50th has a bit of 458 Socom data.

For H110 and a 350gn projectile they have nothing specifc, unfortunately, but for a 325 gn bullet they list a starting charge of 26gn and max charge of 28gn. wiath a OAL of 2.145 (they list it with a Hornady FTX).

I would personally start a couple of grains lower than this starting point as you are using a heavier bullet, and a flat tip.

I went with an OAL of 2.035 with 300 gn Hitek lead bullets (just as a data point) and they appeared to work pretty well. I have not yet tried H110 (or any other powder yet, for that matter) but hope to get some of that work done this spring.
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1669 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    The Lymans 50th has a bit of 458 Socom data.

For H110 and a 350gn projectile they have nothing specifc, unfortunately, but for a 325 gn bullet they list a starting charge of 26gn and max charge of 28gn. wiath a OAL of 2.145 (they list it with a Hornady FTX).

I would personally start a couple of grains lower than this starting point as you are using a heavier bullet, and a flat tip.

I went with an OAL of 2.035 with 300 gn Hitek lead bullets (just as a data point) and they appeared to work pretty well. I have not yet tried H110 (or any other powder yet, for that matter) but hope to get some of that work done this spring.
    Thanks for info. Going to try OAL of 1.985 per Berry web sight for 350 gr bullet and starting gr. of 26 . Using CCI #350 primers . Will post results.
    Yissnakk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3601 times
    Accurate Powder has some data for 350 gr bullets. Naturally not for Berrys or H110. I keep an APP on my phone called Reloading Assistant that is good for quick look up.
    All of their data for .458 is Accurate or ramshot powder.

I have used H-110 with 325 -350 gr bullets with acceptable results. My reloading stuff is packed in anticipation of a move. Sorry I could not be more help.
    Taurus1965 and Yissnakk like this.
    Live what you say you believe.

Member #
    Liked
    3601 times
    Reloader 7 has been the powder I have used most. 235 FTX data starts 30 -35 gr range.
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    Live what you say you believe.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7829 times
    My limited (very) experience with reloading .458 Socom have been with BL-C2 as an experiment since I happened upon a large an inexpensive quantity of it and found it listed at teppojitsu's website.

http://www.teppojutsu.com/downloads/...ad_325_ftx.pdf

Additional info from the Teppojitsu website (they used to have more of their load data published):

Where can I find load data?
    Right now, the best place is to Email SBR Ammunitiinon. [email protected]
    If you are handloading the 458 SOCOM, a Case / chamber gauge is a must have. This allows you to check your sized brass and completed load round to ensure in meets size specifications. The 458 SOCOM is a large surface area cartridge and can fall out of specification if not properly loaded. In an AR15, the barrel extension blocks your view of the chamber, the first indication of an out of spec round is your bolt jamming and locking closed. SBR worked with L.E. Wilson to custom produce gages to original specifications. If your round fits in this gage, it will fit in a correctly chambered 458 SOCOM barrel or rifle. These gages serve as the "standard" while SBR and us continue to work on getting the 458 SOCOM adopted by SAAMI.
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    27717 times
    HHHMM?
    Figured my Buddy Grren Wolf would have chimed in by now?
    haven't noticed any post from him for a while hope he is doing well?
    anybody heard from him?
    he is a 458 socom guy.
    Taurus1965 and Yissnakk like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links