Odd question. Is it actually reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Odd question. Is it actually reloading

Member #
    Liked
    22049 times

Odd question. Is it actually reloading

I think we use the phrase reloading a bit too loosely when describing the manufacturing of cartridges for our shooting enjoyment.
    Yes, if you are using previously fired cases and loading them again, it would technically be reloading. But what about new brass and new projectiles?
    If I buy 500 brand new starline brass cases for say 300 AAC and I buy 125gr projectiles from a vendor, am I actually re-loading ?
    What say you fine folks of TA.net?
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    29752 times
    In that case "Hand Loading"...
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    1513 times
    I'm not sure what the question is asking. Yes if you buy all the components, it's handloading. If it's a competition, then it's gonna limit a bunch of us since very few make their own brass. Another way to look at it is the "AR builder". They buy all the parts and assemble and they built an AR, didn't they?
    I've built aircraft, but I didn't make the parts. None the less every time I see a B-2 flying I'm damned proud.
    Practical Shooter likes this.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    How about "Component Loading "

Member #
    Liked
    22049 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MoKen View Post
    I'm not sure what the question is asking. Yes if you buy all the components, it's handloading. If it's a competition, then it's gonna limit a bunch of us since very few make their own brass. Another way to look at it is the "AR builder". They buy all the parts and assemble and they built an AR, didn't they?
    I've built aircraft, but I didn't make the parts. None the less every time I see a B-2 flying I'm damned proud.
    What I'm asking is if you are creating a cartridge out of all new components, is it REloading?
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    22705 times
    No matter if I am using used casings or new, I am making things that go 'Boom'.
    Technically I think, if it is new casings I am 'hand loading'.
    If it's used casings I am reloading.
    Not something I really worry about though.
    More concerned about powder weight, COAL and where did that primer go to that I just dropped on the floor.
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Member #
    Liked
    11361 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacher39 View Post
    No matter if I am using used casings or new, I am making things that go 'Boom'.
    Technically I think, if it is new casings I am 'hand loading'.
    If it's used casings I am reloading.
    Not something I really worry about though.
    More concerned about powder weight, COAL and where did that primer go to that I just dropped on the floor.
    Ah yes the mysterious jumping primers. What frustrates me is, when I have one jump out of the primer arm - I will look for a long time and it just disappeared. Go back the next night and it is in plain site right where it should have gone. So are they cockroaches or primers.
    darbo and Rickenbacher39 like this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    27020 times
    I guess its a potato--potatoe thing?
    myself I have always considered re-loading speaking to the use of using a brass case again, so to me then if using once fired (or more ) brass then you are re-loading--if using new brass then you would be loading or manufacturing a bullet.
    and i guess if you used an old recovered picked up off the floor or out of a brem projectile that could be considered re-loading??--LOL--I understand that some of you guys are quite frugal.
    darbo and BBGun like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    1513 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    What I'm asking is if you are creating a cartridge out of all new components, is it REloading?
    Well, thinking about it, it's therapy, old brass or new! LOL
    Peacemakr40 and BBGun like this.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Member #
    Liked
    4382 times
    A friend owns a reloading supply business and does factory reloads, custom loads and new factory loads. Loads in fired brass are reloads, if new brass is used they are factory loads. Ammo you load in New brass are handloads. Loads in fired brass are reloads because you are reloading a fired case or hull.
    Peacemakr40, olfarhors and BBGun like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links