How long do you give your digital scale to "settle"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How long do you give your digital scale to "settle"?

Member #
    Liked
    3512 times

How long do you give your digital scale to "settle"?

Now that I have plenty of projectiles, I've been loading a few test rounds. I didn't get a scale when I bought my Lee Classic Turret(didn't come with one), so I bought a Lyman Micro-touch 1500 to get started. I followed the instructions, let it sit for 24 hours, and have left it on pretty much all last week. Here's what's going on.

When I initially put the powder charge in the pan to spot check, it will sometimes read low(-.2 grains), or read high(+.2 grains). If I let it sit for a few seconds, it will settle to the charge I'm looking for. If I let it sit too long, it will start bouncing again, and settle to -.1 of my desired charge. If I gently bump the pan, it will go right back to the charge I was going for.

I know digital scales are super sensitive. Could it also be I have it directly on the bench while running the press? I haven't tried moving it off the bench yet. When I do leave it on, I take the pan off and close the cover. The scale gets re-calibrated every time I use it, and sometimes multiple times per session. There is a ceiling fan in the bedroom, could that be causing it? I'm at a loss, and MIL has offered to get me a reasonably priced unit so I can run 2 scales instead of one.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."--Optimus Prime

œολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Member #
    Liked
    1396 times
    I own two digital scales. No longer do I use my ancient Ohaus beam scale.

The main gripe I have with the digital scales are their sensitivity to blowing air and vibration. I have to close shop doors on a day with any breeze and I stop weighing whenever a freight train passes on the tracks nearby.

Try switching off the ceiling fan.
    olfarhors and nevadabob like this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    19702 times
    I would have to say yes that the scale sitting on the bench while operating the press could be part of the problem. Fans, heating/AC vents it doesn't take much...as Lomax says, trains close by! Before buying another scale I would work on isolating this scale.
    olfarhors and nevadabob like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3050 times
    I concur, they are super sensitive and your fan could be causing those fluctuations.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    nevadabob likes this.
    PT111 G2
    PT92 AFS

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31637 times
    I have a Lyman Gen6 auto and it's not terribly sensitive to conditions. I make sure that it's on a very stable spot on my bench, where there is no wobble at all, and I usually turn my ceiling fan off as well, just in case.

If you reload out doors, extreme temps can cause fluctuation as well. This happened more when I was using my Hornady digital scale out in the garage, in the summer or winter. My bench is indoors now, so this probably helps a lot too.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    22537 times
    Cellphones and other electronic equipment can make them a little bonkers too. I wouldn't worry about +-.01 grain, that's within the margin of error of the scale anyway. If it falls and keeps falling then try swapping the battery out.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    11361 times
    After a year of using a Franklin Armory dig scale, I reverted back to a beam scale. I check 4 times every 50 rounds. But since I am using Titegroup and all my loadings run 3.9 to 4.3. for 9mm and 45acp. I don't have to move the beam adjustment much. I did use the franklin scale to verify my beam setup was correct. I am using the beam scale that came with my Lee classic turret press.
    texastaurusguy and DA-Auto like this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    920 times
    I prefer My balance beam scale over My digital scale, it's more accurate and gives consistent readings.
    It only takes a couple of minutes to set up and zero.
    william and DA-Auto like this.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    I use both -beam & dig scale

I use the beam to check the dig often , and while working up a load only the beam scale
    nevadabob likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4260 times
    You should have received calibration weights (CW) with the scale when new. I place my scale on a bubble level surface, turn it on and allow it to equilibrate. I place the calibration weight in the center of the pan. If it reds the correct weight, I tare it and remove the calibration weight. It should read -CW value. If it does not read the correct weights, you will need to re-calibrate the scale per the instructions from the manufacturer. Working out doors I have placed the scale under a Cake cover to protect it from the breeze. I have never used a scale in reloading, only for mixing chemicals...
    When people lose their way and begin to vote for their own yokes and chains and suddenly we’re all wearing them, when Government turns tyrannical and the light of liberty is being extinguished.... our 2nd amendment is our ONLY hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links