• 1 Post By jtg452
  • 1 Post By Flash60601
  • 1 Post By olfarhors

Thread: .45ACP: .451 or .452?

Member #
    Liked
    3510 times

.45ACP: .451 or .452?

I picked up the Hornady Reloading Manual yesterday, and decided to start banging out some .45 ACP this weekend. I have X-treme 230gr Jacketed, .452 diameter. Where I'm getting confused is my Lee book says .452, Western Powder says .452, X-treme box says .452, Hornady says .451. I pulled up a few other manufacturers, and some list .451 for Long Colt, and .452 for ACP. Some are just the opposite. I pulled a couple of factory rounds, and WWB was .451, Federal was .452, Remington Ult Defense was .451. Are the two sizes interchangeable?
    777Driver likes this.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."--Optimus Prime

œολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Member #
    Liked
    1488 times
    Yes they are. Many cast and plated are .452, jacketed are usually. 451
    Last edited by MoKen; 11-09-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: MISSPELLED
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33434 times
    I’ve seen the same things as you. I’ve used .452 in both my 45 Colt and 45 ACP loadings for years. So yeah, I’m saying they are interchangeable.
    jtg452, jimb1972 and jwc007 like this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    I’ve seen the same things as you. I’ve used .452 in both my 45 Colt and 45 ACP loadings for years. So yeah, I’m saying they are interchangeable.
    45 Colt guns made after WW2 ARE made with .451 bores. (Bunches of war production machinery sitting idle for .451" barrels so why not?.) If you aren't loading for a modern Open Top conversion or a 1st Gen Colt, .452 for cast. If you are dealing with an OT conversion or a 1st Gen, then you will need to go to a .454 diameter.

OP,

Nominal bore diameter for .45ACP is .451". Normally, jacketed are sized to the bore and cast are .001", or so, oversized. If you REALLY want to match bullet to bore, slug you gun and find out what you are dealing with. Personally, I wouldn't bother unless I had more than idle interest in the information. ACP is a very low pressure round and a jacketed round .001" or so over bore size isn't going to cause catastrophic issues.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31575 times
    Like MoKen said, the softer lead or plated lead is usually .452 - jacketed is typically .451. Just be careful not to use bullets heavier than 230 grain in your 45acp, heavier bullets are typically for the 45 Colt.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    1140 times
    Learning all the time.

Member #
    Liked
    7676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    Like MoKen said, the softer lead or plated lead is usually .452 - jacketed is typically .451. Just be careful not to use bullets heavier than 230 grain in your 45acp, heavier bullets are typically for the 45 Colt.
    250's are fun to load on ACP. Won't cycle worth a crap through a lot of bottom feeders, but they are fun through a wheelgun.
    texastaurusguy likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    3510 times
    Thanks. The main gun these will be in is my Springfield GI with match barrel, mostly just "knock the can off the post" loads. Wife hit the jackpot at an estate sale a few months ago, so I have plenty of 124gr FMJ X-treme for the 9mm(they recommended using Speer TMJ data for those with Win231) and 230gr FMJ the .45.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."--Optimus Prime

œολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Member #
    Liked
    1639 times
    If you are really serious, SLUG THE BORE, then you will be starting from a known condition.

If you are a bit goosey about things, start with shooting jacketed at BORE. Do the "ladder-loads" use a chrony, and eventually you will be shooting everything at groove, anyway.

If you get real serious about accuracy, shoot soft lead at groove diameter to start with.
    Last edited by Flash60601; 11-13-2019 at 10:13 PM.
    william likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    27002 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MoKen View Post
    Yes they are. Many cast and plated are .452, jacketed are usually. 451
    both projectile actual diameter may vary from manufacture as well as the weapons actual bore, you might be surprised t how some manufactures vary from common diameters for calibers.
    MY weapons seem to shoot both advertised 451 or 452 diameter projectiles about the same as best as I can tell, course I never shoot lead only jacketed, solid copper or plated projectiles.
    slug the barrel if you really want to know.
    william likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Sponsored Links