Caliper Recommendation? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Caliper Recommendation?

Member #
    Liked
    1690 times
    You can get good equipment from Harbor Freight. Or MSC or many other places.

But what you want is dependent on WHAT you want, not so much as what brand or where they came from.

You need calipers with at least one-half inch depth of INSIDE jaws; At least 1-1/2 inch depth outside jaws,
    At least four inches depth rod,
    And if you have all that, the "step" will be sufficient, for you will hardly ever find a use fo r that in reloading.

Youu can buy an extremely good set at HARBOR FREIGHT for under $20.,, MSC (Mangattan Specialty Cirp) from $25-$125/ ---or go to STARRETT, MITUTOYO, or BROWN&SHRPE for the same at up to $125.

Buy stainless steel, NOT plastic.

Youu can buy digital, dial, or vernier types in those price ranges. Digital - batteries die or leak and cororde the electronics until they are not useable, but have no mechanical parts inside to gum up - just keeep them clean. accuracy to .0001
    Dial - - they are susectible to chips and junk getting in the rack and pinion but if you are modestly careful to keep them clean, they will do for decades. Just be sure the markings on the beam are legibile to begin with.Accuracy to .001
    Vernier, -probably the most accurate overall, a pain to read acccurately if you are not carefl or have older eyes. Accuracy CAN go to .0001 inch/

I USE a dial type, but keep a digital for convenience and a vernier to be sure. I have worked in the calibration and instrument reair insdustry for a decaade, so I maintain and check my own. If you have a KNOWN, calibrated 1" Measuring Standrd, you can pretty much take that for setting and checking other types, without question - I f you follow the proper steps. It is not hard to learn or do, but it is a requirement for absolute accurtacy
    TheOldRedneck likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1523 times
    Micrometers are more accurate than calipers, they don't have the play that calipers do. Draw back you have to buy them in 1 inch increments, I have 0"-1" and a 1"-2" micrometers. I also have Mitutoyo digital calipers just depends on what I am measuring and how accurate I need/want to be.
    Bruntson and TheOldRedneck like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5411 times
    My requirements are not need to be as precise a y'alls. I use a Harbor Freight digital cheapo but it works for my purposes. $20.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-d...ngs-63731.html

Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - Hi-Point 995TS - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22049 times
    I haven't had to use a mic in 30 years and because I got rid of most of my metal fab equipment, I stuck with my set of Mitutoyo calipers (dial type) and a few pair of cheaper digitals. I'm just not doing anything that requires higher levels of precision or accuracy as when I was doing my own machining. About the only thing I still do that requires any precision would be faceting gemstones and that's all meet point type precision.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    7573 times
    I have been using a Harbor Freight analog caliper for a few years now, don't really notice any difference from the Mitutoyo set that bit the dust. If it's acuurate to within .001"_.002" it's good enough for reloading IMHO.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    I have been using a Harbor Freight analog caliper for a few years now, don't really notice any difference from the Mitutoyo set that bit the dust. If it's acuurate to within .001"_.002" it's good enough for reloading IMHO.
    one of these? https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-f...sugg_q=caliper

Member #
    Liked
    7573 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xiholdtruex View Post
    Similar, but this is the one I have.https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-d...per-63730.html
    bobbojama likes this.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    1396 times
    I'd go with a cheap Chinese made analog or digital number. Harbor Freight seems to be getting a little pricey. I bought a digital from ALDI's no less for less than $10. It's nice to be able to switch from inch to metric too. Plastic versions are out there, buy stainless instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    11142 times
    Got tired of working with cheap calipers and decided to get both a Fowler digital and a Starret dial caliper. I looked them up on Amazon and it appears the price has more than doubled on the Starret No. 3202 since I bought it a few years ago for well under $50. I got both because together the were less than $75. I like both and use one to check the other. I think I have replaced the battery on the Fowler once, other than that they are both accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/Fowler-54-101...3416915&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-3202...4&sr=8-1-fkmr1
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    5531 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhite View Post
    I've got a pair of vernier calipers as a backup to my Fowler digitals. The digitals will be dead the day you really need them.
    The dial ones are nice and plenty accurate

Verniers are a little hard to read because of my eyes. The metric scale is easier to read I just have to convert.

All the Best,
    D. White
    Like I posted above.

Went an pulled the calipers out today to measure the sway bar diameter on my car.

Dead. Don't have a single 2032 battery in the house.

Love my verniers.

All the Best,
    D. White
    TheOldRedneck likes this.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links