• 1 Post By xiholdtruex
  • 1 Post By Lomax

Thread: Loading For Cast Bullets W/Gas Check

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27269 times

Loading For Cast Bullets W/Gas Check

I ordered a box of 240gr. LSWC-HP bullets w/gas check. They are the same bullets that Buffalo Bore uses in the .44 mag. deer grenade ammo. My question is this, do I load them according to .44 mag. cast bullet data or use the jacketed bullet data seeing as they have the gas check? I'm planning on using them in my Taurus Raging Hunter and I also want to try them out in my Ruger #1.
    Thanks guys!
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    6577 times
    You need to load a few at different pressure levels and test fire them watching every indicator. I load my GC bullets hot........but they are my bullets, hand cast, sized, loobed, checked and weighed. So I know exactly what I'm working with. Reloading basics is where you start with every new component.
    BigBlue, jtg452, william and 3 others like this.
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    As guesser said

I would start with the lowest of the cast bullet data and work up from there , as cast uses the least amount of powder
    BigBlue and jtg452 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    319 times
    Lyman has a manual with only cast load data, I recommend you buy one if you plan on doing much cast handloading. But...Ive loaded some hot 240gr lswc for my Ruger super blackhawk using jacketed data without any issues.
    BigBlue likes this.
    <Insert witty statement here>

Member #
    Liked
    1691 times
    EGGG-Zactly! They ARE cast lead, use cast lead data.

The gas-check, (insofar as loading data is concerned) is to be disregarded, until you work UP to what works in YOUR gun. The main purpose of the gas check is to keep the base of the bullet from melting, to help contain the hot gasses from going around the bullet, and to help prevent leading ( which has multiple causes). The benefits are many and subtle, contributing to velocity and accuracy improvements over the same basic bullet without GC.

This, in turn, allows you to push the bullet faster, with greater pressure, using "htoter" powders.
    xiholdtruex, BigBlue and BBGun like this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    as many as stated I would start at cast and work your way up. I have safely loaded some very hot cast loads with high bh bullets but worked my wasy up slowly into jacketed data. always do it slowly and with a chrono if you can.
    BigBlue likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1396 times
    What barrel lengths are you dealing with?
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27269 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    What barrel lengths are you dealing with?
    6 3/4" barrel in the Taurus and 20" in the Ruger #1.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    1396 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    6 3/4" barrel in the Taurus and 20" in the Ruger #1.
    When I started reloading for my Ruger .45 Convertible(4-5/8'') I thought it'd be dandy to have a rifle in in .45 Colt as well. The rifle was a Browning 1885 low wall with a 24'' barrel. First time I shot the 1885 at the range, some of my reloads were cutting furrows 40 yards out. My revolver cartridges didn't work well with the added 19'' of length. Powder of the lighter loads is spent at around 10'' of bullet travel, the brakes are on for the next 14''.

In order to wring performance out of the 1885, I had to build up to some heavier loads of 296 using a heavy collet crimp. Those loads were not fun to shoot from that 6 lb. rifle because of its steel crescent heel plate. Those same loads sure made the BH bark out loud.

Have fun with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    BBGun likes this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links