9mm loads using unique? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 9mm loads using unique?

Member #
    Liked
    4889 times
    I totally understand your goal is to use the powders you have on hand to develop a range round in 9mm. Most reloaders love to recommend their favorite powder that make the greatest round, but that's not what you asked for.

In you case, use Unique with the reloading manual guidelines. I'm sure you can find a decent range load. It may not be the very best load that can be made, but it your load will be a good range load using Unique.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31637 times
    The only knock on Unique I have is that in shorter barreled handguns, I've had issues with unburned powder ending up on my hands and arms. It's a mid-range burning powder, and quite frankly faster burning powders (of which there are many) work better in the shorter barreled pistolas.

If you still decide to use Unique, a good taper crimp may help the situation. I don't know for sure, because I stopped using it after that, but you could sure give it a try if you experience the same issue.
    NativeTexan, william and jwc007 like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31439 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xiholdtruex View Post
    how does bulls eye fill the case never used it . Have been using true blue lately for all my loads
    Fills it nicely with no problem of compressed loads. Unique can run out of room in a 9mm case.
    xiholdtruex likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    I seem to find unique every where so If I ever have a powder issue should be able to pick it up. for some reason I have to search to find hp-38 which is another one I load with. next powder order Im most likly going to order 4lbs of true blue and call it a day so far it has been my favorite powder up to now in loading 357mag and 9mm loads.

Member #
    Liked
    1512 times
    I like Unique, yes it's not the cleanest but it been around over a century for some reason. I try not to load too soft but still keep it down for plinking loads. I think the lower the load the dirtier.
    For my defense loads I use Longshot.
    NativeTexan and jwc007 like this.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    31439 times
    I like Alliant powders (formerly Hercules) They always seem to be in stock at the gun shop (barring political interference) and unique works in many of my calibers I load for should I need SOMEthing and it's my choice for certain applications like my +P carry loads in 9x19 I mentioned. I keep other powders for other applications, but Unique can usually sub in a pinch. It's my fave for .45 colt plinker loads. I like the dirtiness, almost like shooting holy black without the mess... More importantly, it works well with the cast 255 grain bullet I load and is quite accurate. Some newer powders may improve on it in certain applications, but try to find them on the shelf when you get another Obama in the white house (parish the thought).

It's not the only versatile powder that I'll substitute for some calibers. During the great Obama ammo drought, I had a hard time finding 2400 and bought several powders that substitute such as WW296 and Li'l Gun. In all honesty, 296 or Li'l Gun work better anyway, but my old load of 2400 is just sorta traditional with me.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    31439 times
    Oh, Unique is my choice in hot .45 ACP, too, works really well.
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    523 times
    I use Unique for all my 9mm, .380 acp, .45 acp and .45 Colt loads. It is a bit dirty but it runs my copper plated 147 grain cartridges through all my training guns including the Colt smg without fail. My 1911 runs 200 grain flat nose Polymers through all training and classes flawlessly with it as do my smaller .380's and the Ingram Mac 11 smg with Polymer round nose. As I said; it is a bit dirty but then I clean my weapons after they are used so what matters it?

I think Unique is a great powder.
    jwc007 and Bruntson like this.
    Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I stocked up on Unique long ago and use it for just about all my handgun loading. A partial 4 pound jug sits under my bench. When I need powder I reach down and there it is.
    So far it has worked fine for all my 9mm loads. I'm settling on the Lee 124 grain Tumble Lube design with 4.X grains of Unique.
    I'm a bullet caster. I tweak my projectiles more than my powders and that pays off greater for me. For instance, I get better accuracy if I size that 124 grain cast bullet to .358 rather than the usual .356 that is the norm for 9mm.
    Last edited by sknhgy; 11-09-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    william likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1512 times
    I use several bullets124 gr for the 9mm. Loads range from 4.8 to 5.2 grain Unique. The 4.8 is ACME coated and 5.2 is Everglades Ammo FMJHP. Both accurate and run well. The Everglades is around 1100 fps. I've not checked the ACME on the chrony. Great groups out to 25 yards with my 4.6" on Canik P120.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links