powder load vs c oal?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: powder load vs c oal?

Member #
    Liked
    316 times

powder load vs c oal?

I recently went to the range and was having issues with a specific load in one of my pistols. I loaded hornady xtp 147gr 9mm to a c oal of 1.100 with cfe pistolpowder at 4.1 gr per the hodgdon site. I keep having a issue where the nose is cliping the bottom of the feed ramp due to the length. does anyone know if there is a calculation to reduce the load when shortening the c oal?

Thanks in advance

Member #
    Liked
    1695 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xiholdtruex View Post
    I recently went to the range and was having issues with a specific load in one of my pistols. I loaded hornady xtp 147gr 9mm to a c oal of 1.100 with cfe pistolpowder at 4.1 gr per the hodgdon site. I keep having a issue where the nose is cliping the bottom of the feed ramp due to the length. does anyone know if there is a calculation to reduce the load when shortening the c oal?

Thanks in advance
    First, check your magazine lips. Is there any roughness there that would contribute to the cartridge not moving forward properly? Does the loaded round rise and sit appropriately in the magazine following firing and extraction of the fired case

When the slide begins its forward moovement, does it cause the loaded round to "nose down"?

And, incidentally, what firearm are you using?

These are some of the things which should be considered before deprting from a load proven good by others.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    11363 times
    Bullet profile versus barrel chamber and feed ramp. What kind of pistol, and will it feed other Hornady XTP sizes/loads. That XTP bullet profile comes to a pronounced point with little oglive. which might hang up on certain feed ramps or mag lips pointing it too high or low. If you think COL is an issue, I'd take it down to 3.8grns and a COL no shorter than 1.09 for now. Or just make up a dummy round with that COl and test. It would be nice to see one of your reloads and the feed area of the pistol. Is there a formula for reducing load to seat deeper? Yes but its best to figure it out, starting at min powder weight and working up. Always keep in mind the base of the bullet must not touch the top of powder load in the case. I use Titegroup which uses so little of the case, that I can seat deeply without worrying about compressing the charge. I am not familiar with CFE pistol and its volume. I am sure some of our senior loaders will join in and give you better advice.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Silverstring is correct
    Sounds like the edge of the hollow point is digging into the feed ramp
    Try a round nose bullet or a bullet that has a more rounded corner where the olgive meets the meplat
    I have a Sig that just will not feed Truncated cone bullets , Round nose flat points it will
    silverstring and xiholdtruex like this.

Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Yah I dont like deviating from the manufacture recommend loads makes my ocd go crazy. Was doing a little more digging, I kept 7 rounds to check and investigate with my gun. It is a ruger ec9s it was happening to me with. will try to get pics of the feed ramp later when I take apart the pistol. I tried 5 different rounds that day. 124 gr cast lead round nose, 147gr truncated cone and the 147gr hornady xtp , 115gr remington green and white box fmj and the hp variant . 100 rounds of 124gr 100 rounds of 147gr truncated cone and 43 rounds of the xtp 50 rounds of the 115gr remington and 14rd of the hp variant. the cast rounds and remington gave me no issues with feeding. The xtp would be stuck at the feed ramp tried to tap and rack and nothing. Pulled magazine and round would fall out. So it looks like its stripping the round but sticking there. The bullets I took a look at and they looked fine. put it into the magazine again and cycled fine. I figure it is the shape of the hollow point. Will definitely get pictures and will try to load a new batch to see if maybe it was just a fluke with that batch loaded them 3 months back before I took a break. I know I was very meticulous and double checked all the sizes and powder charges because I wanted it as a carry load if it worked out.
    silverstring likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post
    First, check your magazine lips. Is there any roughness there that would contribute to the cartridge not moving forward properly? Does the loaded round rise and sit appropriately in the magazine following firing and extraction of the fired case

When the slide begins its forward moovement, does it cause the loaded round to "nose down"?

And, incidentally, what firearm are you using?

These are some of the things which should be considered before deprting from a load proven good by others.

When the slide begins its forward moovement, does it cause the loaded round to "nose down"? how would I be able to check this?

These are some of the things which should be considered before deprting from a load proven good by others. thank you thats what I did not want to do. I am glad you answered this way because if it works for others and does not work for me then it is definitely something wrong with something in my hands. Just have to find the issue lol

Member #
    Liked
    7703 times
    With 147's, you are dealing with a LOT of bullet sticking out of the case. Your issue (since you are being particular with COAL) is likely caused by bullet profile- the shape of the the nose and the taper of the ogive to the nose. 147's with a wide nose and a gentle taper tend to be more troublesome. They are too wide for the angle of 'attack' of the mag lips and the angle of the feed ramp, so they end up 'nosing down' out of the magazine and catching on the lower edge of the feed ramp.
    xiholdtruex likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31652 times
    I was having this problem with my PT1911. Drove me crazy, I could load 6 rounds in the mag and it was fine, but when I fully loaded it to 8 rounds, it would nosedive into the feed ramp.

I did a number of things to resolve the issue, I'm not convinced that any one did the trick but maybe a combination....First, I polished the feed ramp lightly. Then, after talking with another forum member here, I replaced the recoil spring, with something that was a big stouter. I also replaced my magazine springs with Wolff springs that were much stronger, and I also bought a Wolff magazine that had a better follower and stronger spring. Lastly, I made sure that I wasn't babying the round into action. Some guns don't like that, you need to pull the slide back and release it quickly, letting the slide fully push that first round into the chamber sharply.

I hope you find your problem. I don't think you really want to mess with the OAL in that XTP 147 gr. load, 1.100 is dead on as to what you should be using.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    I was having this problem with my PT1911. Drove me crazy, I could load 6 rounds in the mag and it was fine, but when I fully loaded it to 8 rounds, it would nosedive into the feed ramp.

I did a number of things to resolve the issue, I'm not convinced that any one did the trick but maybe a combination....First, I polished the feed ramp lightly. Then, after talking with another forum member here, I replaced the recoil spring, with something that was a big stouter. I also replaced my magazine springs with Wolff springs that were much stronger, and I also bought a Wolff magazine that had a better follower and stronger spring. Lastly, I made sure that I wasn't babying the round into action. Some guns don't like that, you need to pull the slide back and release it quickly, letting the slide fully push that first round into the chamber sharply.
    I hope you find your problem. I don't think you really want to mess with the OAL in that XTP 147 gr. load, 1.100 is dead on as to what you should be using.
    first round was not the issue kept happening 3rd or 4th round. going to load up a new batch and try it again to make a note when it happends better if it even happends again lol. was thinking of following the feed ramp lightly but not sure see mixed review on it online. I usually rack and release hard first round. was having a issue a while back on my sd9ve where if I rode it slowly would give issues. going to try 147gr berry hhp also and worse comes to worse may switch to 124gr not sure as of yet my current carry ammo is 115gr remington green and white box hollow points.

unfortunatly they dont make many accessories that I can find for these magazine need to do some more research.

funny thing is my 124gr I oad to 1.150coal and 147gr truncated I load to 1.140 coal
    texastaurusguy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Might try a 147 round nose
    Some of the bullet casting co sell packs of about 10 pcs of different styles of bullets to test with and are cheep compared to buying a box of something . I also had a Kahr .380 that had to load a little heavy to get slide back all the way because of the strong recoil spring .
    Just looking for the right bullet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links