powder load vs c oal? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: powder load vs c oal?

Member #
    Liked
    306 times
    definitely sounds like a plan will work on that this week end. My wife says my obsession has returned lol

Member #
    Liked
    306 times
    ok so had some time without the kids today. Mocked up 7 rounds to 1.150 and tested them by hand cycling the pistol 21 times per magazine. cycled good. Hand cycled fast 21 time and slow 7 times with each magazine to watch for any hanging up and it worked perfectly. took the gun apart and took pictures and inspected. made sure the bullet cleared the barrel and spun freely when plunk tested. loaded a batch at 1.140 to test at the range next week and see how it runs. here are some pics of what the gun looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    silverstring likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    306 times
    the feed ramp is covered in some copper from the cycling of the test rounds. it may definitely benefit from a like polish.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11110 times
    Picture is kind of fuzzy, but is your extractor chipped?
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    306 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Picture is kind of fuzzy, but is your extractor chipped?
    sorry about that the camera apparently I have a potato as a phone lol, I had to do a double take no the extractor is not chipped will need to take some better pictures with another camera when I clean it this week.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    27001 times
    well what i do is to look at the relaoding data first, then depending on caliber I know which one of my pistol in that caliber has the tightest/ shortest chamber.
    so i load a test round (dummy-no powder/primer) then I load the magazine, chamber the round, do this about a half dozen times.
    if it works then i load say 50 and take them to the range.
    IF there is a problem (seldom) then I satart at a halfway point betweens tarting load and max load and shorten the OAL a few thousanths.
    then it off to the range and begin with my laddered test laods at that OAl at the lowest load density and work up.
    work through those watching for pressure.
    normally there is none.
    I now ahve a bullet that will functino in all my pistols of the same caliber.
    as i shoot more than 1 projectile i do this with each projectile and keep a dummy test round for reference should i need it.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    306 times
    so I went to the range today and tested 300 rounds, 200 of which were loaded for plinking with my usual load that has never given me issue and 100 of which 50 had xtp and 50 had berrys hhp bullets. So I actually analyze the gun more when it would happen and it was actually not jamming on the feed ramp as I thought, Shined a light and the bullet was not being pushed into the chamber. Had my wife try it and noticed immediatly what was happening was we were riding the slide stop with the increased recoil from the bullet. Tried again with more focus on my grip and it did not do it to me anymore. need to work more on my grip and thumb positions. was thinking how much a small amount of time of not going to the range can throw someone off.

Thanks in advance everyone if I notice anything else with the bullets will definitely update

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links