Interesting and somewhat puzzling event.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Interesting and somewhat puzzling event.

Member #
    Liked
    26109 times

Interesting and somewhat puzzling event.

I was down at the range last week and took my Citadel 1911 in 38 super, the usual, same old 124 grain plated Hollow points for that round.
    I carried 2 boxs of ammo for it, so 100 rounds total.
    as i was shooting normal groups and all the sudden i saw a jagged large hole in the eight ring at 3 O'clock!
    thought man how did i pull that?
    anyway fired a few more and a big jagged hole appeared at about 11 O'clock in the 7 ring.
    so now I am thinking whats going on?
    dropped the mag, emptied the chamber, lock the slide back and take a peeky down the barrel with my bore light--Nothing, just a bit of powder residue.
    anyway went on and finished out that box of ammo and ended up with 7 rounds that apparently tumbled as the hole was quite larger and off the normal grouping.
    also noticed very small fragmentation holes across most of the target, apparently one of th projectiles tried to disentegrate?
    tried the other box of 50 (loaded at the same time with the exact same loading).
    all went into normal grouping with lil bitty .355 holes in the paper bad guy.
    anyway, these are berrys projectiles, used the same thing many times.
    the only thing that I can come up with is either I pushed them to hard?(should have bene around 1000-1050 FPS)
    the plating was bad?
    I crimped them way to much after seating?
    I would note that I use the Lee FCD on all my loads.
    Not big deal but yuose guys got any other ideas?
    777Driver and guesser like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32286 times
    Well, if you were shooting paper, and I'm sure you've seen it before, but air pockets between the paper target and the backing will do that. If the paper is flat against the backing, then I have nothing else.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    21884 times
    I'd guess that the plating was "bad" in some way on a few, causing it to disintegrate which would account for both the keyhole and the fragmentation marks.
    olfarhors and dwhite like this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46213 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    I'd guess that the plating was "bad" in some way on a few, causing it to disintegrate which would account for both the keyhole and the fragmentation marks.
    That was my thinking as well, a few issues with the plating.
    olfarhors likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    3642 times
    Guess you will have to watch and see if it repeats with the next batch of reloads with the same lot of bullets.
    olfarhors likes this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    10378 times
    1. What dimension did you taper crimp too. There should be no roll crimp. Brian Pearce has an article on .38 Super Pet Loads, Handloader issue #318, FEB 2019, page 38, on which he taper crimps all of his .38 Super loads to .3785". This is a good bit less TC than on my 9mm reloads, which in my notes is from .369" to.371", anything between and I lock down the die. If you have .38 Super FCDs and you have the mouth of the case beginning to roll, you have way too much crimp. There should be no roll crimp in auto cartridges that headspace off the case mouth. The Lee FCD is a progressive taper crimp die, ending in a roll crimp. If you are using a 9mm FCD, or a .38 Super FCD for that matter, back way off and try for something between .378" to .379".

This is from Berry's website: Plated Bullet Loading Tips

• Don’t over crimp the brass. This causes bullet core separation, leading to increased copper fouling and accuracy issues.
    • Don’t exceed the recommended maximum velocities listed (1,250 fps in this case). This causes bullet core separation and accuracy issues. (You seem to be OK here.)

2. Anybody on the other lanes? Anyone messing with you?
    TheOldRedneck and jdalex1 like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    7229 times
    Sounds like a jacket or plating separation issue to me, too.

Either that, or you had some undersized bullets keyholing and the scattered fragment holes are from powder blowby because you are shooting so close.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Member #
    Liked
    26109 times
    the projectiles were in a box of 1000 and I have used about half of them, course i keep about 800 rounds of 38 Super reloaded so not sure IF I have fired any of this batch or not, but I do know the second box was from the same box and loaded at the same time.
    I only taper crimp-- I don't roll crimp any semi auto round, haven't for years!
    MY remark as to the crimp was I was wondering IF the case itself was to long that it would have made a heavier crimp I don't keep a real tight check on my straight walled pistol cases for stretch.
    the target was shot at 7-10-15 yards so doubt it was powder burns?
    recoil and sound was the same on all the rounds fired, all 100 of them.
    I am about to say it was some bad plating but will keep a check on the rest, anymore ideas then throw them out here.
    same load I have bene using for a loooong time, including OAL.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    26109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Sounds like a jacket or plating separation issue to me, too.

Either that, or you had some undersized bullets keyholing and the scattered fragment holes are from powder blowby because you are shooting so close.
    Close is such a relative term!
    with my short arms I don't consider 2 yards all that close to be honest!

Member #
    Liked
    26109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    2. Anybody on the other lanes? Anyone messing with you?
    Everybody messes with me thats why I am Paranoid!
    thought that was obvious?
    but seriously there were no law enforcement practicing so I doubt if anyone else shot my target!
    GreenWolf70, jtg452 and Stroker like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links