Old Timer Load From the Past
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Old Timer Load From the Past

Member #
    Liked
    282 times

Old Timer Load From the Past

Old timer load from the past. Take a primed but unsized .38 Special case that was fired in your gun. Charge with 1.5 gr Bullseye. Seat a OOO Buckshot right on the powder using an unsharpened pencil. Drip a few drops of melted paraffin wax onto the Buckshot. That's it. Super cheap. No loading press or chronograph required. Sounds about like a .22 LR. Deadly on rats and other vermin.
    Last edited by Sawfish; 06-20-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    "A man can never have too many good books, too much red wine, or too many rounds of ammunition": Rudyard Kipling

NRA Patron Member; Life Member SCI, RMEF, NSRPA, NAHH, CRPA; Member FTRA, HHI, Winchester Collectors Assn.

Member #
    Liked
    4295 times
    O buck works with 32's. Caliber correct balls work with other rounds.
    jtg452 and PreacherRodgers like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldRedneck View Post
    O buck works with 32's. Caliber correct balls work with other rounds.
    That's 00 in .32's.

OP,

Be very careful working with Bullseye in small charges. Bullseye and light loads has been the death of many a K-frame .38.

For a real old school load, substitute FFFg (3F) BP for the Bullseye. Fill the case and seat the ball just deep enough to roll crimp firmly.
    Last edited by jtg452; 06-21-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    Old timer load from the past. Take a primed but unsized .38 Special case that was fired in your gun. Charge with 1.5 gr Bullseye. Seat a OOO Buckshot right on the powder using an unsharpened pencil. Drip a few drops of melted paraffin wax onto the Buckshot. That's it. Super cheap. No loading press or chronograph required. Sounds about like a .22 LR. Deadly on rats and other vermin.
    AND anyone wanting to try this remember if you live close to me I can "Hold UR Beer 4 U " while you try it!
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    282 times
    I have fired many rounds of this load in my K frames without incident, but If you do not follow directions you are asking for trouble. The ball must be seated firmly on the powder with no air space. If you want a more refined load (Millennial) , you can fit two #1 Buckshot in a Speer .38 shot capsule, and follow the loading directions in the Speer Manual. The balls strike surprisingly close together.
    "A man can never have too many good books, too much red wine, or too many rounds of ammunition": Rudyard Kipling

NRA Patron Member; Life Member SCI, RMEF, NSRPA, NAHH, CRPA; Member FTRA, HHI, Winchester Collectors Assn.

Member #
    Liked
    4295 times
    I think where the confusion comes from about seating bullet/projectile firmly on powder is lack of understanding. There is a huge difference between burn rates and characteristics of blackpowder and smokeless. With blackpowder it is necessary to seat with projectile against powder with no air space, no exceptions. That is not the case with many smokeless powders. The fast burn rate handgun and shotgun powders especially. Unique was and is a favorite with many cast bullet shooters in rifle cartridges. Not everyone loading it used a filler to make up the huge air space. You would get a tighter E S, (extreme spread in velocities) if you pointed muzzle up to allow powder to fall back toward primer. Many of us use titegroup in large case loads because it is not direction sensitive and gives low, consistent E S. You do have handgun/shotgun/rifle powders that requires full case loads like H110/296 and 4831 because of burn rate/powder characteristics. These and some others can be more erratic as case volume of powder is decreased. Powder burn rate charts are wonderful but good load manuals are necessary to really find out suggested loads for a round. The round ball plinking loads have been around for many years. Paco Kelly did an article on round ball loads in 45/70's years ago. Single and multiple ball loads have been published for .32, 38, 44 and 45's several times over the years. Buckshot was used for many, the 38's run 357/358 bullets, ooo buck runs an average .360 diameter. Can usually be thumb seated in a unsized case over a wide selection of different powders. Bullseye, AA#2, 231/HP-38, titegroup,700, trail boss etc to name a few that have been named over the years. I shoot a lot of #o buck in 32's, it runs .320 and 32's use .311 to .315 projectiles, fairly easy to thumb seat in a unsized case. As a kid was cheap load for old S&W 32 long with a small charge of bullseye. Unlubed ball or buckshot shouldn't be loaded fast, as velocities increase so will leading. Round balls are not a heavy projectile in relation to normal bullet weight, much less mass. The average #000 buckshot runs around 73 grains. 38 colt/38 special bullet usually run between 110 to 180 grains, you can find some outside that range. It takes very little powder to run 500 to 700 fps with a round ball. As a kid my first reloads for a handgun was buckshot in old 32 Smith revolver. Bag of buckshot, can of bullseye, brick of primers lasted a long time, took a lot of small game. Still my favorite plinking rounds for the old guns.

Member #
    Liked
    26120 times
    I beleive that IF you check modern smokeless powder is listed as a Propellant and its an oxidizer.
    black powder is an explosive and NOT an oxidizer.
    so basically IF you leave an air space with black powder then you get an explosion as it allows air into the combustion, as smokelss powder is already an oxidizer then the air space doesn; t have really any or much efect on the chemical/thermal reaction.
    although it usually does in pressure.
    been a while since I was in the fire / haz mat/ chemical game so you may want to check this.
    bought a new set of oven mitts in preparation for you guys to start loading this set up , holding cold things make my hands numb..
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30637 times
    I'll just shoot the buck shot in my .31 Pocket Remington. It was made for this. No brass necessary.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    26120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I'll just shoot the buck shot in my .31 Pocket Remington. It was made for this. No brass necessary.
    yea!
    and isn't that the gun that you have them speed loader strips for???
    I know you mentioned that you had those for one of those Black powder handguns you tote!---GriiiiN>
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    MOONDAWG likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    yea!
    and isn't that the gun that you have them speed loader strips for???
    I know you mentioned that you had those for one of those Black powder handguns you tote!---GriiiiN>
    With Remington cap and ball wheelguns, you can just swap cylinders like Eastwood did in Pale Rider.

Half cock, lower the loading lever, pull base pin until it's clear of the cylinder, roll cylinder to the left and out of the gun. Reverse the process to load the loaded cylinder.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links