Installed My RCBS Primer Pocket Swaging Tool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Installed My RCBS Primer Pocket Swaging Tool

  1. #1
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    29,598
    Liked
    36712 times

    Installed My RCBS Primer Pocket Swaging Tool

    Into my Lee Deluxe Turret press in a turret with an open slot. Had looked at a YouTube video which suggested that the lower "cap" that boosted the swager out of the pocket on the down stroke needed a hose clamp to provide additional depth to get that swager to drop below the "cap" and release the case. Mine seems to be sufficiently thick enough to do the job, however when I run the swager up to the case to engage the primer pocket I get a "pop" and the swager enters the pocket out of center. Leaves a teardrop shape of the primer pocket and results in a ruined case IMO.

    Here's the video...followed by photos of the cases I've wrecked.



    Name:  IMG_20190512_134344959.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  2.79 MB

    Name:  IMG_20190512_134320961_HDR.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  2.84 MB
    “…democratic socialism, the great utopia of the last few generations, is not only unachievable but that to strive for it produces something utterly different – the very destruction of freedom itself. As has been aptly said: ‘What has always made the state a hell on earth has been precisely that man has tried to make it his heaven.'” F.A. Hayek

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Member #
    9491
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Central Montana
    Posts
    3,691
    Liked
    6456 times
    I was never satisfied with the RCBS Swage tooling. It just wasn't up to doing batches of 5000, seemed every case was a study in "there has to be a better way", finally I broke down and paid for the better way. Dillon Super Swage 600.........I've had mine since before the turn of the century, beautiful tool!!
    GaCop103 likes this.
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

  3. #3
    Member
    Member #
    75423
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    42
    Liked
    48 times
    I have one of the RCBS primer pocket swaggers and have had it for 40 years or so and have used it without any trouble. My largest batch was 1,000 .223 case from military brass. Watching your video I suspect the 2 raised areas on the top front of your press is causing your problem. The cases are supposed to get pushed straight up and not at an angle if I remember correctly. That likely requires more effort to remove the case from the swagger stud like that.
    olfarhors likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    54586
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    1,462
    Liked
    1475 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    Into my Lee Deluxe Turret press in a turret with an open slot. Had looked at a YouTube video which suggested that the lower "cap" that boosted the swager out of the pocket on the down stroke needed a hose clamp to provide additional depth to get that swager to drop below the "cap" and release the case. Mine seems to be sufficiently thick enough to do the job, however when I run the swager up to the case to engage the primer pocket I get a "pop" and the swager enters the pocket out of center. Leaves a teardrop shape of the primer pocket and results in a ruined case IMO.

    Here's the video...followed by photos of the cases I've wrecked.



    Name:  IMG_20190512_134344959.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  2.79 MB

    Name:  IMG_20190512_134320961_HDR.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  2.84 MB
    I went with a piece of brass pipe instead of the hose clamp and cut to size. Worked like a charm. Will post some pictures soon as I can .

  6. #5
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    29,598
    Liked
    36712 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spentprimer View Post
    I have one of the RCBS primer pocket swaggers and have had it for 40 years or so and have used it without any trouble. My largest batch was 1,000 .223 case from military brass. Watching your video I suspect the 2 raised areas on the top front of your press is causing your problem. The cases are supposed to get pushed straight up and not at an angle if I remember correctly. That likely requires more effort to remove the case from the swagger stud like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus1965 View Post
    I went with a piece of brass pipe instead of the hose clamp and cut to size. Worked like a charm. Will post some pictures soon as I can .
    Like I said, the ram on mine fits entirely inside of the cap that the swager fits through...I don't have that step shown in the video and so do not need the hose clamp or a pipe shim. When the ram is in the lower position, the swager retracts below the cap and the case is released. It's the apparent alignment of the swager point into the primer pocket which results in the point hitting off center and then sliding into the pocket.
    “…democratic socialism, the great utopia of the last few generations, is not only unachievable but that to strive for it produces something utterly different – the very destruction of freedom itself. As has been aptly said: ‘What has always made the state a hell on earth has been precisely that man has tried to make it his heaven.'” F.A. Hayek

  7. #6
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    54586
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    1,462
    Liked
    1475 times
    Here are some pictures of set up and measurements. I used a reducing coupling from the depot. This setup allows case to be pushed strait up and off the swager.Name:  IMG_3383.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  1,008.7 KBName:  IMG_3382.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  1,007.3 KBName:  IMG_3384.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  1.22 MBName:  IMG_3385.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  1.10 MBName:  IMG_3386.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  1.22 MB

  8. #7
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    54586
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    1,462
    Liked
    1475 times
    Sorry not sure why pictures are upside down.

  9. #8
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    54586
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    1,462
    Liked
    1475 times
    Is brass going into your die fairly easy and strait during the wager process? sounds like your swager is not seated properly in the shell holder slot.
    Last edited by Taurus1965; 05-12-2019 at 09:21 PM.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    29,598
    Liked
    36712 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus1965 View Post
    Is brass going into your die fairly easy and strait during the wager process? sounds like your swager is not seated properly in the shell holder slot.
    I'll have to futz with it again...for a buck's worth of copper fitting I may try that also. There's resistance currently then it pops when it moves from the off center to wipe into the pocket.
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    “…democratic socialism, the great utopia of the last few generations, is not only unachievable but that to strive for it produces something utterly different – the very destruction of freedom itself. As has been aptly said: ‘What has always made the state a hell on earth has been precisely that man has tried to make it his heaven.'” F.A. Hayek

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Member #
    11801
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    33,289
    Liked
    25793 times
    Gosh I dunt know whut to say, I use the lee turret press (not the deluxe) and the RCBS swager and never have the least problem with it?
    I remove the primer arm that sticks in the ram, and away we go!
    I do not have the auto indexing gadget on mine either as I batch load.
    as I lower the ram the brass pops right off and ready for the next one.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. F/S RCBS primer pocket swager
    By maddogg in forum Firearms
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2018, 08:41 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2017, 05:39 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2015, 03:00 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2015, 08:58 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2015, 08:05 AM