Load data old manuals vs new - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Load data old manuals vs new

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    I was looking at the sierra app today fpr .38sp +p and the higher end of the spectrum they are pushing light magnum + on some of them for sure

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13847 times
    This thread visited this subject also: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/r...down-data.html
    xiholdtruex likes this.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Yep read that thread also, actually purchased a new sierra 11 manual to cross fereference the current sierra app. Most loads are a grain or more over what the powder manufactuers recommend. Going to work up a defensive 38 +p load soon also to have in the data bank.
    william likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13847 times
    I reload for accuracy, which usually does not translate to fastest. If my SD bullets don’t expand properly at the accuracy speed, I find one that does.

YMMV
    xiholdtruex and Lomax like this.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    I reload for accuracy, which usually does not translate to fastest. If my SD bullets don’t expand properly at the accuracy speed, I find one that does.

YMMV
    definitely could not agree more, Luckily most of the loads I have used have been common loads used by many so there is a ton of data on how well they work online. I for example worked up to a max load of trail boss in .38 special and 357 magnum and found that instead of max 4gr shot more accurate.

for some reason also I find that in .38 special plated ammo shoots better when loaded to +p and soft lead shoots better at +p loads. I find that if I match the bh of the bullet and the psi so it obturates correctly int the barrels it greatly increases my accuracy. could be attributed to most of the lead bullets I use have a bh of 10-12.

speed is useless If I cant hit the target lol

Appreciate the input from everyone Thank you all

Member #
    Liked
    301 times
    LoadData the online loading manual from the publisher of Handloader and Rifle magazines has both old and new data from loading manuals and magazine articles.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    "A man can never have too many good books, too much red wine, or too many rounds of ammunition": Rudyard Kipling

NRA Patron Member; Life Member SCI, RMEF, NSRPA, NAHH, CRPA; Member FTRA, HHI, Winchester Collectors Assn.

Member #
    Liked
    554 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    I keep older versions for reference. I think for Lyman the major transition was between Lyman's 44th or 45th to Lyman's 46th. The loads do appear to be lighter after that point. I also generally load to mid levels based on the current data Most of my firearms however will handle +P loadings without a problem so that's an additional buffer built in.
    It's an old thread, but a current topic because people always wonder about the "hot" loads of yesteryear. You mentioned Lyman's 44th. Here is the data for 240-250 grain hard cast .44 Special back in 1967, tested in s Colt SAA. Loads like this give people the heebie jeebies today. Just for informational purposes.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

YOT
    Member #
    Liked
    3545 times
    One thing to remember about manuals and their data... Test barrels are just that. Unless you are shooting with the exact same gun/barrel your results will vary. Find the load YOUR gun "likes" and stop before blowing it, and you, up.
    olfarhors, tobywan45 and william like this.
    "It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men regardless of cause or need aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger and I won't." - The Shootist (John Wayne)

Member #
    Liked
    27038 times
    to me its a lot like following as gasoline recommendations for your new 2019 car by using recommendations from a 1953 manual.
    things change over time, especially years and years.
    first no 2 batches of any powder are identical, the chemist guys at the powder companies add stuff to get the powder rates as close to uniform as possible but still.
    a powder that was manufactured say 30 -40 years ago is not going to be same as a powder manufactured last year typically. add to that that these load rates are generalizations as to performance with a mind on safety.
    as we are now a much more sue everybody nation well safety margins have been increased, guess someone is trying to protect us from ourselves???--well I will show them-- here hold my Beer!
    in the end does it really matter that much if your load produces 550 Ft pounds of energy or a measilly 530 Ft Lbs of energy???
    we all have our loading rituals , myself I will stay within the recommended loads from the current info.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46623 times
    I use current load data for all but one of my loads, that one I don't is .32 S&W Long. I am using data that dates back to the early 50's I think. Well above today's max data. I worked up to it slowly and watched for signs of pressure that never came. What I did do is get my cases to expand properly and not get scorching down the case almost to the rim. I also started getting complete powder burns, which never happened with current data. Now my .32 S&W Longs are hot loads in modern terms and they are also way more accurate. I did work up my loads in a .32 Mag revolver to stay on the safer side.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links