Hand wet tumbling
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Hand wet tumbling

Member #
    Liked
    238 times

Hand wet tumbling

Do not have much room in the house and wanted a cheap affordable way to clean my brass for reloading and decided to give hand wet tumbling a try after hearing and seeing a few vids on it. Took a used mayo jar and washed it out to use as the tumbler itself.

Filled the jar with 100 .357 mag cases that had some funk on them once fired. Will try with some cases later this week that have been fired 4 times to see what my results are.

Added hot water 3\4 of the way up a 9mm case of lemi shine and squirt of dawn dish soap.

Agitated ever few mins for the firat half a hour to get the juices flowing inside the cases then let it sit for 1 hour and a half for it to work. Then for 30 minutes ever few mins I would tumblw the cases around and let it sit.
    Total time in solution around 3 hours. Have heard people leaving it longer but they were looking good so did not want to leave it longer than I needed to.

Rinsed my cases 3 times and spread onto my dehydrator tray to dry over night. Looks pretty good. If I did not have a dehydrator I would use a oven or sun dry it to ensure it is bone dry as to not affect the powder or primers.

Any input or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Name:  20190419_215636_1555738872542.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  1,008.6 KB
    Name:  20190419_215809_1555738906272.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  1.04 MBName:  20190419_222102_1555738932983.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  4.29 MBName:  20190420_012657_1555738963694.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  837.8 KBName:  20190420_012636_1555738991740.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  157 Bytes
    Yissnakk, darbo, kmw1954 and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    238 times
    Left the cases in my dehydrator to dry over night and they are bone dry and ready to load with some 158gr swc Name:  20190420_081015_1555765210782.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  1.07 MBName:  20190420_081209_1555765235078.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  586.1 KBName:  20190420_081232_1555765256179.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  753.6 KB
    darbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3548 times
    That is exactly how I've been doing it for about a year now and it works just fine for me. I now use a square plastic jar that 2# of peanuts are packaged in. I can easily get 200 9mm cases in there.

I'm not looking to get bright shiny polished looking brass. Just clean brass with all the junk and carbon removed. I save my brass for those cold and rainy days when I'm bored and have nothing to do or to do it while just watching TV.
    xiholdtruex likes this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31509 times
    That's pretty much the way I do .45 Colt cases that have been loaded with black powder. I sun dry them though. Works for me.
    xiholdtruex likes this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    36351 times
    I did mine like that for about a year and got fancy and added dilute phosphoric acid to speed it up and clean them better....DON'T do that. It will change the metallurgy of the brass.

When I take mine out of the tumbler and separate the pins now I toss them into a towel lined tray and wipe/tumble then in the towel to help remove the water from the outside of the cases and prevent water spotting.
    xiholdtruex likes this.
    We, in the USA, have become that which our ancestors fled.

Member #
    Liked
    238 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    That is exactly how I've been doing it for about a year now and it works just fine for me. I now use a square plastic jar that 2# of peanuts are packaged in. I can easily get 200 9mm cases in there.

I'm not looking to get bright shiny polished looking brass. Just clean brass with all the junk and carbon removed. I save my brass for those cold and rainy days when I'm bored and have nothing to do or to do it while just watching TV.

definitely as long as it works its good for me. was noticing a ton of crude inside the cases and wanted to eliminate that. Have a few bags of brass fired which im gonna clean later on but I like this wet tumbling method. almost bought a vibratory tumbler but have bough a few cases cleaned in vibratory tumblers and always have a ton of dust which I do not want around my kiddos. will eventually get one of those rock tumblers from harbor freight to make it shiny lol
    Czechbikr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9877 times
    I have an old stainless steel Chili Pot that I fill with water that would come up to the neck of one of those Folgers plastic coffee cans. I have my deprimed brass sorted into those plastic coffee cans with drain holes drilled in the bottoms. I heat the water up to a boil, turn it off, throw in a few tablespoons of Wally World cheap lemon juice and then set the cans into the water (no longer boiling). I can get 5 of those cans into my chili pot at one time. I occasionally shake the cans, just to make sure there are no bubbles in the cases. The cans spend no longer than 15 minutes in the hot solution, and I usually have many cans going through the wash. Afterwards, I dump them into my walnut media tumbler until they are dry, but I see no reason I could not use a dehydrator and get the same results. My cases look at least as good, if not better than what you are showing in your photos. My cases have little, if any, carbon in the primer pockets and are mostly shiny on the inside, especially if they are only once fired and not range pickups.

Looking at your pictures, my first piece of advice would be to deprime your brass before cleaning. This will allow your solution to break the carbon out of the primer pockets and get a better flow through the cases. I use a Lee Universal depriming die, it is cheap, quick and you only need to change the shell holder when you change to another size cartridge. Second, you can probably shut down your soak time considerably earlier if you use hot water, even just hot water out of the tap would probably help.
    Czechbikr and gbusmech like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    9877 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xiholdtruex View Post
    definitely as long as it works its good for me. was noticing a ton of crude inside the cases and wanted to eliminate that. Have a few bags of brass fired which im gonna clean later on but I like this wet tumbling method. almost bought a vibratory tumbler but have bough a few cases cleaned in vibratory tumblers and always have a ton of dust which I do not want around my kiddos. will eventually get one of those rock tumblers from harbor freight to make it shiny lol
    I tried those rock tumblers a long time ago and I hate them. If you look around for a small cement mixer, hopefully with a poly drum, it will be as cheap as one of those drum tumblers, and get some pins. Look at Jerry Miculek's YouTube video on cleaning brass, that is what he uses.
    xiholdtruex and william like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    25628 times
    Gosh I am still 0ld school!
    I resize my cases.
    I put like 2-300 dirty cases in my old vibrating tumbler, turn that puppy on for about 2 hours, go inside and drink a few beers or what ever i want , need to do.
    go back out in the garage and pour them in a media seperator, then into coffee cans for later use.
    I guess i could complicate things by sitting them in the sun or rinsing them but i guess I am to lazy to amke things more work?
    But hey what ever system that you like is what you should use.
    Note: got like 300 45 acp cases cleaning away as I talk with you guys as a matter of fact.
    oso, GreenWolf70 and xiholdtruex like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1437 times
    I don't even resize before tumbling. I size and deprime on turret press, also prime, I don't worry about primer pockets there is no effect if they are clean or not. Huh I also have 45acp cases in the tumbler right now
    olfarhors likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links