RmR plated bullet?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: RmR plated bullet?

Member #
    Liked
    275 times

RmR plated bullet?

Just ordered 250 plated hollow points from RmR after this weeks range trip with the lead bullets it looked like a wild west shoot out with all the smoke lol was reading that thier plating is thicker so it can take up to 1400fps. Usually use berrys bullets which are rated to 1250 fps.

Everyone with experience with these bullets do you use the same data as berrys which ia start at cast and work my way up to jacketed data? Or do you start at low jacketed data?

Thanks in advance will be loading .38 special +p and 357 magnum 125gr bullets with cfe, hp-38, tite group and unique if it matters or changes answers
    777Driver and kruizer like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3793 times
    I haven't used them yet but will be another one ordering from them on the next go around. The Owner of RMR is also a member and sponsor over at THR forum. Been hearing a lot of good things about this product.
    xiholdtruex likes this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Just got a email back from them and they informed me that they load with the jacketed info.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xiholdtruex View Post
    Just got a email back from them and they informed me that they load with the jacketed info.
    Just wrapped up my article that I will submit later this eve. Definitly agree with RMR. My fastest load for the project was with the 125 gr. PHP at 1349 FPS using Accurate No 9 and a CCI500. With the project finished and while having more 125 & 158s to play with, I'll be loading them warmer, and if the opportunity presents itself, I wouldn't mind shooting a feral hog with the 158.
    xiholdtruex likes this.
    Shoot slowly and deliberately: As fast as you can!

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

Deacon Viking

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 57K View Post
    Just wrapped up my article that I will submit later this eve. Definitly agree with RMR. My fastest load for the project was with the 125 gr. PHP at 1349 FPS using Accurate No 9 and a CCI500. With the project finished and while having more 125 & 158s to play with, I'll be loading them warmer, and if the opportunity presents itself, I wouldn't mind shooting a feral hog with the 158.

Have you ever checked the expansion of the rmr .357/38 hollow points that are not designed to expand? Wonder how hell they do.
    57K likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xiholdtruex View Post
    Have you ever checked the expansion of the rmr .357/38 hollow points that are not designed to expand? Wonder how hell they do.
    Funny you should ask. I modified some 125 & 158 gr. PHPs and .357 Magnum velocity was definitely too much for them, so I tried again with the .38 Sp. loads I made with the 158. Unfortunately. I erred by only taking 4 1-gallon jugs to the range for testing, and the bullet went through all 4. It definitely expanded, but again, too much. Had I taken and used a 5th jug I'm pretty sure I would have recovered the bullet. Velocity was 894 FPS from the 4.2" GP100 and 813 FPS from the 2 1/2" S&W M66.

Think there might be some potential there at lower velocity. Maybe Berry's will make a Hybrid Hollow-point in .358".
    xiholdtruex and MoKen like this.

Deacon Viking

Member #
    Liked
    1446 times
    I load plated to jacketed speeds except for the top magnum loads. Heavy plate I stay under 1500 and regular plate I keep under 1250. And that is per my phone conversations with Xtreme Bullet company. Your mileage may vary.
    olfarhors, 57K and Czechbikr like this.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Member #
    Liked
    1446 times
    I wish Berry would develop a HHP for .357. I woulds suspect the current HHP would be a bit soft for .357. I know at 1140 fps the 124 gr 9mm HHP EXPANDS big time. Going into wet phone books a .97 flower with 120 gr on the scale out of a Canik P120.
    57K likes this.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MoKen View Post
    I wish Berry would develop a HHP for .357. I woulds suspect the current HHP would be a bit soft for .357. I know at 1140 fps the 124 gr 9mm HHP EXPANDS big time. Going into wet phone books a .97 flower with 120 gr on the scale out of a Canik P120.
    MoKen, I tested Berry's 147 gr. HHPs in 9mm (.356") using AA #7 that are rated 1075 FPS Max Velocity, IIRC. I water tested when velocity got up to 1036 FPS to find petals had broken away from the bullet. I went to True Blue for around 1000 FPS and they held up just fine. The only reason for the powder switch is that I knew True Blue would be at a more optimum pressure level where #7 being a slower burner, was not. Still my favorite for 147 gr. Loads at around 1125 FPS.

Another issue with so many newer 9 x 19mm pistols having short throats, I had to shorten OACL for my SPs HK VP9 and M&P Mod 2's, 4" compact and 5" model to 1.085". Performance was very good, nonetheless. I began thinking about the possible merits of such a load for 9mm sub-compacts and put 8 over the chrono charged with 5.3 grs. of True Blue @ 1.085". Performance was good enough that I'd use that load if I carried a sub-compact 9. 8 round avg. velocity from a S&W Shield was 894 FPS.

The rating for the 124 is a bit higher at 1150 FPS or so but my interest was only in loading and testing the 147. Got plenty of excellent 124 gr. JHP defense loads that work very well including the 124 gr. HSTs that I got from RMR a while back and loaded to just over 1200 FPS from the 4.47" Canik TP9sa.

So what I'm driving at here is that their velocity rating probably can't change much, and I would definitely water test before I decided on any one particular velocity. If Berry's ends up making a .358" HHP, .38 Sp velocity is probably a more realistic expectation. And with proper powder selection, that shouldn't be difficult to do. They would need to be taper crimped, but at .356" diameter, and strictly for defense applications where gilt-edge accuracy need not be such a high priority, the 9mm, .356" HHP bullets might be worth the effort, particularly if you buy a sample pack.
    MoKen likes this.

Deacon Viking

Member #
    Liked
    26489 times
    most times people (reloaders) or shooters look at the FPS of a self defense projectile and think the faster the better.
    well in reality thats not the case most times.
    those nasty lil sharp petals that stick out from and expanded projectile are like little knives passing along through the body to hopefully cut a artery, vein, organ or nerve and produce a much better end result than a round slicky or even a projectile void of such nasty lil cutting edges.
    the petal of course sticking out increases the possibility due to size of the expansion to be able to hit one of those vital parts as well.
    the petals break off then you loose a lot of the advantage of a well expanded modern hollow point design.
    I use a factory 92 grain all copper HP in my 9 MM on most occasions, with my testing (if you want to call it that) the projectile does really well in 2-3 inch barreled 9 MM, in 4 -5 inch the petals begin to fold rearward and break off, difference in FPS is my guess.
    this is an advertised non Plus p load and moves at about 1400 FPS, they do not list from what barrel length however.
    and as always opinions are like---ahh eyeballs--everyone has 1 or 2.
    Sawfish likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links