Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Powder Valley

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13116 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    There-in lies the key! If only making small orders the savings is out the window. I am loading much more there days but still find it hard to justify ordering 5k small primers at one time. Which primers is the hardest item for me to find locally at reasonable prices.
    I didn't get caught with my pants completely down during the "Obumer" shortage, well maybe knee level , but it has caused me to buy primers 5K at a time and when I open a case (5K) I order another. When I have a proven powder, I order it in 8# containers, and bullets on sale by the K's, multi's if possible. I have more on the shelf than I have loaded, loaded proven rounds are kept in 50 cal cans.

As I cannot guess which way the winds will blow, politics, red flag laws, etc, my heirs should be well supplied.
    olfarhors, jimb1972 and DRAGON64 like this.

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 18

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    36351 times
    ^^ Through that shortage I was desperate and bought about 8,000 Wolf primers that I could locate. They were better than nothing...but I wouldn't buy them again (unless forced).
    We, in the USA, have become that which our ancestors fled.

Member #
    Liked
    3548 times
    See bullets and powders isn't the issue for me, it's primers. I have a number of places to get the powders and bullets there is no Hazmat Fee. There are a few places locally that carry primers but either their prices are outrageous, they only sell by the sleeve of 100 or all they carry are CCI. Nothing wrong with CCI with the exception that my PT92 will not reliably fire them. I get a 50% failure rate in that gun using CCI primers.

Also at the current levels tat I am shooting 5k small pistol primers will last me 2+ years and 5k large pistol is closer to 3 years.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25628 times
    I don't buy bananas in medium to large amounts but powder, primer and projectiles have yet to go bad on me.
    I NORMALLY have enough primers and certainly powder to last me a year, now projectiles I may need to order twice or three times per year.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    3548 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    I NORMALLY have enough primers and certainly powder to last me a year, now projectiles I may need to order twice or three times per year.
    That is just it. Unless one is ordering a case of 5k primers at a time I just don't see the savings by the time shipping and Hazmat fees are added in. Then since there is no way to anticipate when these places will offer free Hazmat one either waits or pays.

As it works out this year we will be going north camping in June. Which also just happens to be on the way to a nice shop with good prices so I may just have to purchase 2 years worth of large and small primers. And they also stock the Ramshot Silhouette in 4# containers.
    Czechbikr and jimb1972 like this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1437 times
    I don't buy bananas in medium to large amounts but powder, primer and projectiles have yet to go bad on me.

I am fortunate to have a LGS that has a huge selection of reloading supplies, powder and primers I buy there. Even with sales tax it is cheaper for me then online. Projectiles not so much I order those online and get a better deal. The projectile order that was delivered I just pulled in my drive and the mail truck backed in behind me, mail carrier (small female) could not lift my order of 4k of 200 gr. lswc. I picked the box out of the truck for her. I need to get over to LGS they have CCI primers on sale, $5 mail in rebate per 1000 which puts them at $24.99 + tax.
    olfarhors, Czechbikr and jimb1972 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    25628 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oso View Post
    I am fortunate to have a LGS that has a huge selection of reloading supplies, powder and primers I buy there. Even with sales tax it is cheaper for me then online. Projectiles not so much I order those online and get a better deal. The projectile order that was delivered I just pulled in my drive and the mail truck backed in behind me, mail carrier (small female) could not lift my order of 4k of 200 gr. lswc. I picked the box out of the truck for her. I need to get over to LGS they have CCI primers on sale, $5 mail in rebate per 1000 which puts them at $24.99 + tax.
    MY local gun shop/range has a regular price on CCI primers of 28.99 per K.
    but when you add up primers, and powder then I still come out ahead by not paying sales tax and buying on line in the amounts that I order.
    normally on my orders the haz mat and shipping runs in the 34-40 buck range, so with 5-6-9-10 K primers and say 16-20 pounds of powder that's not much per item to me?
    sometimes you get free shipping so then its just the haz mat fee.
    I do occasionally buy a few primers IF I am short and need just one size and I don't need to order the others.
    just depends on how much you use, prices locally but normally the online selection will be much, much better.
    I got to go buy a couple pounds of different powder for a new project that I got coming in so will buy it locally until I decide what powder that I will use then likely get it online with my other powders.
    oso and william like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    248 times
    Buy components while they are available and at reasonable prices because every day you have two houses of Congress working to erode your second amendment rights. The next election may well cause another spike in component prices and a crimp in product availability. No mater who wins.
    Last edited by Sawfish; 04-24-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    Czechbikr and jimb1972 like this.
    "A man can never have too many good books, too much red wine, or too many rounds of ammunition": Rudyard Kipling

NRA Patron Member; Life Member SCI, RMEF, NSRPA, NAHH, CRPA; Member FTRA, HHI, Winchester Collectors Assn.

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1437 times
    MY local gun shop/range has a regular price on CCI primers of 28.99 per K.
    but when you add up primers, and powder then I still come out ahead by not paying sales tax and buying on line in the amounts that I order.
    normally on my orders the haz mat and shipping runs in the 34-40 buck range, so with 5-6-9-10 K primers and say 16-20 pounds of powder that's not much per item to me?
    sometimes you get free shipping so then its just the haz mat fee.
    I do occasionally buy a few primers IF I am short and need just one size and I don't need to order the others.
    just depends on how much you use, prices locally but normally the online selection will be much, much better.
    I got to go buy a couple pounds of different powder for a new project that I got coming in so will buy it locally until I decide what powder that I will use then likely get it online with my other powders.

I am sure the good citizen that you are that when filing your taxes you claim online purchases in which no sales tax was paid, so you can pay your state their due tax.
    olfarhors likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    36351 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    Buy components while they are available and at reasonable prices because every day you have two houses of Congress working to erode your second amendment rights. The next election may well cause another spike in component prices and a crimp in product availability. No mater who wins.

Wise words my friend.
    We, in the USA, have become that which our ancestors fled.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links