Anyone load .458 Socom? Tips and Tricks solicited here!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Anyone load .458 Socom? Tips and Tricks solicited here!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times

Anyone load .458 Socom? Tips and Tricks solicited here!

Ladies and Gents,

I have received (already!!) my Missouri Bullet Co .459 cal 300gn Hi-Tek bullets that I ordered late Thursday evening last week. My brass and dies should arrive tomorrow and I will also be picking up my lower from the LGS after work tomorrow afternoon.

The dawn of the .458 Socom (in my gun safe) is breaking!

My current plan was to use BL-C2 powder (because I have a lot of it and load data) and working up some loads minimum charge to max and see how it goes.

Any tips or tricks from anyone who has been loading .458 Socom for a while? Pitfalls? Things to watch out for?

Any wisdom welcome!

Thanks!
    darbo and 57K like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    983 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    Ladies and Gents,

I have received (already!!) my Missouri Bullet Co .459 cal 300gn Hi-Tek bullets that I ordered late Thursday evening last week. My brass and dies should arrive tomorrow and I will also be picking up my lower from the LGS after work tomorrow afternoon.

The dawn of the .458 Socom (in my gun safe) is breaking!

My current plan was to use BL-C2 powder (because I have a lot of it and load data) and working up some loads minimum charge to max and see how it goes.

Any tips or tricks from anyone who has been loading .458 Socom for a while? Pitfalls? Things to watch out for?

Any wisdom welcome!

Thanks!
    If you like it, then I like it! A couple of Western Powders I haven't tried yet are Accurate LT-30 & 32, but the one that intrigues me most is Accurate 2200. Maybe compare the data.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Shoot slowly and deliberately: As fast as you can!

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

Deacon Viking

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 57K View Post
    If you like it, then I like it! A couple of Western Powders I haven't tried yet are Accurate LT-30 & 32, but the one that intrigues me most is Accurate 2200. Maybe compare the data.
    Not sure if I like it or not yet

Haven't actually gotten to fire any of my BL-C2 loads yet...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    983 times
    Not sure if I like it or not yet

Haven't actually gotten to fire any of my BL-C2 loads yet...
    They should be interesting. If you're not impressed with a BL-C(2) from somewhere in the data my question would be in regard to its burn rate, so don't be disappointed if that turns out to be the case. There are a number of good alternative powders and just looking at Western's data, that would likely be AA 2200 would probably be next up to the plate!
    Yissnakk and jimb1972 like this.

Deacon Viking

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times
    They should be interesting. If you're not impressed with a BL-C(2) from somewhere in the data my question would be in regard to its burn rate, so don't be disappointed if that turns out to be the case. There are a number of good alternative powders and just looking at Western's data, that would likely be AA 2200 would probably be next up to the plate!
    AA1680 is listed...makes me wonder if 11FS would also work. (powders I have on hand)
    57K and GreenWolf70 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    983 times
    AA1680 is listed...makes me wonder if 11FS would also work. (powders I have on hand)
    Yissnakk, 1680 is definitely covered in Western's data, so compare it with AA 2200 while both are spherical and very easy metering. I was curious about 11 FS also, because they recommend it for .300 Blackout.

Looks like the powder requirements for the .458 SOSOM are a bit different where I would think that BL-C(2) or W748 would be on the slow end. 1680 should provide some decent loads. 1680 has a very good burn rate and performance reflects that in terms of loading 7.62 x 39mm, but 2200 is faster enough burning than BL-C(2) and slower burning than 1680 that it might be in the "sweet spot" in terms of burn rate and performance for the .458 SOCOM.
    Last edited by 57K; 04-17-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Deacon Viking

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times
    Yissnakk, 1680 is definitely covered in Western's data, so compare it with AA 2200 while both are spherical and very easy metering. I was curious about 11 FS also, because they recommend it for .300 Blackout.

Looks like the powder requirements for the .458 SOSOM are a bit different where I would think that BL-C(2) or W748 would be on the slow end. 1680 should provide some decent loads. 1680 has a very good burn rate and performance reflects that in terms of loading 7.62 x 39mm, but 2200 is faster enough burning than BL-C(2) and slower burning than 1680 that it might be in the "sweet spot" in terms of burn rate and performance for the .458 SOCOM.
    According to their newest doc, AA2200 is on par with RL7 for burn rates, but not as fast as BL-C2 and slower that either 1680 or 11FS. Still...if I can find some, it'll be a definite option

Member #
    Liked
    983 times
    According to their newest doc, AA2200 is on par with RL7 for burn rates, but not as fast as BL-C2 and slower that either 1680 or 11FS. Still...if I can find some, it'll be a definite option
    Whose newest doc would that be, from the new Western Manual? If so, I need to look into that. My evaluation comes from Hodgdon's burn rate chart that shows BL-C(2) definitely ranked a good bit slower with 2200 being about midway between the 2, BL-C(2) and 1680.
    Yissnakk likes this.

Deacon Viking

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times
    Whose newest doc would that be, from the new Western Manual? If so, I need to look into that. My evaluation comes from Hodgdon's burn rate chart that shows BL-C(2) definitely ranked a good bit slower with 2200 being about midway between the 2, BL-C(2) and 1680.
    Yessir. They just (Nov) posted version 7 http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con....0-Web-REV.pdf

Member #
    Liked
    983 times
    Yessir. They just (Nov) posted version 7 http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con....0-Web-REV.pdf
    Thanks, Y! I've never really been sold on Western's burn rate charts in the past even while I use their powders more than any other. One of the benefits of having friends in high places, I've had a copy of the Western Manual since at least 6 months before it went to press. The handloading instructions and introduction to cartridges were written by Rob Behr, whom I consider a great friend, and the person, originally, who asked me if I would be interested in writing for their blog. Rob wears a number of different hats including editing the blog. Unfortunately, they have others in the lab whom are responsible for the data or burn rate charts.

Deacon Viking

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links