Anyone load .458 Socom? Tips and Tricks solicited here! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Anyone load .458 Socom? Tips and Tricks solicited here!

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    Well, this is what old age will do for you. I'd already updated the Western load guide back in November so I checked the burn rate chart. They rated 2200 pretty much the same as Hodgdon, like RL7 and just about in-between 1680 and BL-C(2).

No burn rate chart is 100% reliable, so it's best to check several. I still like the Hodgdon because they list burn rate numerically. The charts like Western's and several others showing similar powders by groups don't excite me much, but that's just personal preference. An example of what I'm talking about can be done with True Blue that's on the line above AA #5, and with Silhouette 1 line higher than True Blue. Follow the line to the right and you'll find WAP on the same line with True Blue. WAP was discontinued back in the early part of the century, Western bought the rights to distribute it and renamed it Silhouette. Then in the case of True Blue, it and AA #5 flip-flop enough in load data as far as the powder charge that they should both be on the same line.

Nothing major, and more likely, nitpickin' on my part. The Western chart is certainly usable, but I would make comparisons with the Hodgdon chart. Especially in a powder comparison of Western and Hodgdon powders as is the case here.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Shoot slowly and deliberately: As fast as you can!

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

Deacon Viking

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7569 times
    Learned a couple of things while loading up these first few rounds. First is that for these MBC Hi Tek bullets, I need to put a rather aggressive bell so the coating doesn't get scratched during seating.

Name:  20190415_142316.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  1.66 MB

Name:  20190416_173312.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  2.33 MB

Second was that I had to modify my seating die a wee bit. Notice the ring on the first couple of rounds on the right. I took the seating stem out and ran some 1000 grit sand paper around the edge. This seemed to have mostly corrected that. The seating die is really made for the longer, more pointed bullets and these flat nose bullets just didn't quite like it that much...

Name:  20190419_142708.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  2.14 MB

Loading up too many of these is going to put a serious whoopin' on my powder supply! Hope BL-C2 works well...

Name:  20190420_115035.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  3.53 MB
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    Can't tell exactly from the top pic, but it looks like the MBC poly-coated bullets have a bevel on the bottom edge. No need for extra concern, or flare, if that's the case. But so long as your flare doesn't keep the loads from going into the seating die easily, you probably don't need to worry about having too much, either.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Shoot slowly and deliberately: As fast as you can!

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

Deacon Viking

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7569 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 57K View Post
    Can't tell exactly from the top pic, but it looks like the MBC poly-coated bullets have a bevel on the bottom edge. No need for extra concern, or flare, if that's the case. But so long as your flare doesn't keep the loads from going into the seating die easily, you probably don't need to worry about having too much, either.
    The bullets do have a beveled base, but if I seat them with no bell or very minimal bell, the case mouth peels a bit of the Hi-Tek coating off, exposing lead on the way up.

Member #
    Liked
    10585 times
    You might want to look through .458 SOCOM forums. Here is a basic 101 reloading the SOCOM page: Basic 101 reloaders guide for beginners to the 458 SOCOM - Please Read

I agree with the comment about dies. I have a set of Hornady and a set of Lee, I have stuck cases with both and usually just run the brass through the Hornady sizing die and then the Lee Sizing die and that seems to work. The Lee sizes just a little smaller than the Hornady and plunks in the barrel better, but I get more stuck cases with the Lee dies, unless I run the cases through the Hornady sizing die first. I also like the Hornady seating die a bit better than the Lee too. Redding dies are the ones considered the best for the SOCOM. Also, don't waste time with any other case lube, just go ahead and get some Imperial Sizing Wax.

As far as powders, I reload my SOCOM with W296/H110 or Lil Gun, so Accurate #11FS should work well, but I think the general consensus is Reloader 7 or Accurate 2200 is about as slow as you want to go in the SOCOM. Here is the reloading forum on the SOCOM: Load Data
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7569 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    You might want to look through .458 SOCOM forums. Here is a basic 101 reloading the SOCOM page: Basic 101 reloaders guide for beginners to the 458 SOCOM - Please Read

I agree with the comment about dies. I have a set of Hornady and a set of Lee, I have stuck cases with both and usually just run the brass through the Hornady sizing die and then the Lee Sizing die and that seems to work. The Lee sizes just a little smaller than the Hornady and plunks in the barrel better, but I get more stuck cases with the Lee dies, unless I run the cases through the Hornady sizing die first. I also like the Hornady seating die a bit better than the Lee too. Redding dies are the ones considered the best for the SOCOM. Also, don't waste time with any other case lube, just go ahead and get some Imperial Sizing Wax.

As far as powders, I reload my SOCOM with W296/H110 or Lil Gun, so Accurate #11FS should work well, but I think the general consensus is Reloader 7 or Accurate 2200 is about as slow as you want to go in the SOCOM. Here is the reloading forum on the SOCOM: Load Data
    I hit up Teppo Jutsu : Advanced Firearms Applications near the bottom of the page. They are cited by Starline as the go-to for data and info when you buy brass. If I encounter any issues with the Lee dies I got, then I'll probably follow them up with Hornady (Redding is just too expensive for my blood!)

Member #
    Liked
    3566 times
    I wish I had some input on BLC2 but I have been using RL-7. .458 is a great caliber and lots of fun. At the present all my reloading stuff is packed in expectation of a move.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Live what you say you believe.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13368 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherRodgers View Post
    I wish I had some input on BLC2 but I have been using RL-7. .458 is a great caliber and lots of fun. At the present all my reloading stuff is packed in expectation of a move.
    Bring your 458 to Rapid City and I'll keep it limbered up until you settle in, and bring it back to Rapid City next year.

I'm nice like that

Yissnakk and PreacherRodgers like this.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 18

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7569 times
    Sooo...first range report.

BL-C2 may not be the best choice for .458 Socom. I did not chrono these rounds. Just checked functionality.

Seems that I need to trim the edge of the anti-tilt railing in my Magpul mags as they catch the case rim on it.
    Second observation - the powder doesn't seem to burn completely and gunks up the chamber and barrel, making the chambering of the next round a bit difficult at times.

Otherwise....

1st 10 rounds at 50 yards with a red dot...I couldn't see the green dot on the target (too small at 50 yds for my eyes, so I wasn't sure where I was aiming at!)

Name:  20190422_170026.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  3.52 MB

Somebody left this nice clown at the 30 yard mark though (15 rounds):

Name:  20190422_171602.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  3.05 MB

Member #
    Liked
    10585 times
    I had problems with PMags in my SOCOM. The inside of the PMags is different, more constricted, than inside a MILSPEC magazine. Big flat nosed bullets would catch on the internals of the PMag and hang up.

The only poly mags I use on my SOCOM are the Lancers. All the aluminium GI mags work with the SOCOM, but if you are shooting a bullet with a big flat meplat, like the 405 grain Remy, you will need to cut out a half moon on the leading edge of those metal mags, or the bullet will clip the edge as it loads causing a failure to feed. I think Brownells actually has a follower that will give you a little more room, and I have heard of people just grinding down that left side hump on the GI follower. I have not done either. My 10 round GI mag holds 3, the 20 round mag holds 7, and the 30 round mag holds 10 rounds.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links