Reload to Range an online journal for us newbie reloaders to share our experiences.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: Reload to Range an online journal for us newbie reloaders to share our experiences.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11120 times

Reload to Range an online journal for us newbie reloaders to share our experiences.

I have been noticing an uptick in folks posting reload information lately. Maybe its just because I am starting down the reloading rabbit hole myself this spring. So I thought I would start a thread about us newbie reloader's for all you old, experienced farts to weigh in on our progress. So I will start with my story (quick go see a fun post from richenbacher39 before you get drawn in).
    After going through over 2500 rounds of 38 in the last few years had to decide what to do with all that brass. At least that is my story on why I invested in reloading. In secret another reason is I am running out of gun related projects to keep me out of trouble in the evenings after work. So I figured reloading would provide an endless evening play time in my shop. I relentlessly pursued information about presses, accessories, loading data, powder and bullets for the last 4 months in preparation for my new venture. Spoke to my buddy at work who reloads rifle (30-06 and 300 WM) rounds to help me work through some of the initial thought processes. Then just like I do when researching a new firearm I began the fun part - shopping for the best solution.
    Name:  P1030417bb.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  696.1 KB
    I put a $650 cap on the startup, so I needed a good medium priced press. Thanks to the experienced loaders on this forum discussions I decided on a Lee Turret press kit. This kit - while having some so so accessories, had the autodrum powder measure and their safety prime system included. Also a triple beam scale. Press kit $226 delivered to my door. Next I purchased 400 ACME poly coated 38 bullets ($69) and 300 ACME poly coated 45LC bullets ($62), two 4 die Lee carbide die sets ($89). Two bottles of Trailboss ($55) and one bottle of HP38 $28. Franklin digital scale ($34), the Hornady trio case prep machine $98, a Franklin Bullet puller ($17) 1000 CCI small primers $38, and 500 CCi large pistol primers $16. A friend at work gave me his bullet tumbler for fixing his Browning A5, so my tumbler is free.
    Name:  P1030416bb.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  488.7 KB
    Well I went a bit over my cap, about $80. Total investment so far is $730. This pic above shows my two test platforms for 38 and 357, a Ruger GP100 and a Taurus 627. As in all good things a bit of bad almost always pops up, in my case that blankity blank nerve bundle in my wasted right hip. So for the last few weeks been building my first test run of 50-38 specials. My intent is to end up with low pressure, but still fairly accurate rounds for fun time on the range. Today was my first test. I ran about half my batch comparing to factory loads for recoil and steel worthiness. Well I did it - all my hand loads were consistent and able to ring a 10" gong at 40 yards almost every time. The recoil is about 20-30% lighter than normal factory loads. Barrel leading is not an issue so far. I will develop my next test load over the next few weeks and begin pressing more bullets.
    Last edited by silverstring; 03-31-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    19475 times
    Great start to the thread! I still consider myself a newbie to loading after about 7 years but I am pretty well set on equipment. But I'm also always looking to learn new things or make changes that I think will improve the process for me. I will follow this thread. Thanks for starting it.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7601 times
    So...at what point do we stop being "newbies"? I've only been at it for a bit over 5 years but have loaded well over 10K rounds of multiple calibers...

I've had two squibs in that time and one of those was due to powder position instead of missing a charge. Otherwise, haven't blown my face off or destroyed any firearms....

As to the OP, check out SNS Casting if you plan to order any large quantities of bullets - they have a good selection of coated bullets and a $15 flat rate shipping up to 75lbs.
    silverstring and xiholdtruex like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    So...at what point do we stop being "newbies"? I've only been at it for a bit over 5 years but have loaded well over 10K rounds of multiple calibers...

I've had two squibs in that time and one of those was due to powder position instead of missing a charge. Otherwise, haven't blown my face off or destroyed any firearms....

As to the OP, check out SNS Casting if you plan to order any large quantities of bullets - they have a good selection of coated bullets and a $15 flat rate shipping up to 75lbs.
    Thanks I will add them to my bookmarks for my next order, looks like quality bullets at a great price.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    My journey started 11 years ago when I first thought about reloading, My dad gave me his lever action 44 mag , I shot 3 bullets and bruised the hell out of my shoulder and stopped shooting it lol. Then purchased my first 9mm and the price of reloading it at the time was not good it was so cheap I decided not to waste time on it. Fast forward 5 more years and I picked up my taurus 605 poly and bought 5 boxes of factory ammo and realized it would cost a arm and a leg to practice with it compared to the 9mm. So I started down the rabbit hole of reloading. At first I just wanted some practice loads. Now everyday I find out more stuff I need to purchase to get proficent at it. Just reloading with a lee handpress and enjoying it so far. It is a addiction! Started with a $250 budget now im around $500 in and have enough supplies to make around 3000 rounds so its not a bad investment and I get to make the rounds the way I like. Now I just need a chrono and somewhere I can use it down here.
    silverstring and Yissnakk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    19475 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post

I think that's a personal evaluation kind of thing. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I have loaded in that time but there is so much to learn. Heck I consider myself to be a newbie in regards to firearms. I have some decent loads that I use but really haven't done as much experimenting and development as I think I should. The squib load was from my first learning curve batch on the Hornady AP.
    I have had 1 squib and after that took apart 200 rounds and found 1 more without a powder charge. Fortunately, like you, I have not blown up anything yet!
    silverstring and Yissnakk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    26884 times
    well its a conspiracy!
    these manufatcures keep coming up with new powders, new design material projectiles!
    they are trying to keep us down and as newbies i tell ya!
    Gosh I been reloading now for about 40 years, been shooting for about 60, and a firearm owner for about 52 years or so. still learn stuff every day.
    mostly that I like Dawgs a lot more than humans!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    10752 times
    Add kinetic bullet puller to you list of required equipment. You will probably need it sooner, rather than later.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...-bullet-puller

This kit would have exceeded all of your expectations and still been under that $600 ceiling
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/50...loading-system

Or you could have gone a little cheaper and added other pieces ass needed.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/50...loading-system
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    26884 times
    when i am asked i generally tell a newbie thinking about getting into relaoding to plan on dropping about 500 bucks into the process, that covers most stuff as well as componets.
    all them lil gadgets and do dads add up.
    trickler, pullet puller, additional dies, hand primer (possibly), tumbler, sifter, case gauges, labels, ammo boxes, scales, powder measure, and on and on.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    10752 times
    There are a lot of savings in these kits.
    Yissnakk and silverstring like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links