Reload to Range an online journal for us newbie reloaders to share our experiences. - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: Reload to Range an online journal for us newbie reloaders to share our experiences.

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Was working up a load at the range with 125 hp jacketed and noticed as I would get to the mid range load it was sounding like a sonic boom. Took a look at the cases today and noticed the primers were flattened max load is 9.6 these primers are from a 8.8 and 9.0 gr load of unique. Would you consider it normal as you get to the higher magnum loadings?Took a short vid because the pictures were not focusing well.

silverstring and Yissnakk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    26133 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oso View Post
    I shoot 12k-16k of 185gr. and 200gr. LSWC per year, they are the cheapest and most accurate. Although I have found a 185gr. JHP load that is very accurate at 25 yds. All the LSWC I shoot are through 1911's but I don't see why they wouldn't feed through a ramped barrel.

they do --Flawlessly!!
    well of course that's through a CZ 97 and we all know that CZ will function on anything and shoot always in the bullseye!
    oso and silverstring like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    26133 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xiholdtruex View Post
    Was working up a load at the range with 125 hp jacketed and noticed as I would get to the mid range load it was sounding like a sonic boom. Took a look at the cases today and noticed the primers were flattened max load is 9.6 these primers are from a 8.8 and 9.0 gr load of unique. Would you consider it normal as you get to the higher magnum loadings?Took a short vid because the pictures were not focusing well.
    Kind of hard for my old eyes to get a good view but it appears that the primers are cratering a bit, and a little flattening?
    a couple of ideas--
    first are you using reload info for a Hollow point?
    they are generally a tad longer and protrude into the case a bit more if set at OAL for a Round nose. etc.
    also is the projectile typical lead of lead core?
    lighter metals such as Copper and the composite type projectiles are a lot longer than standard projectiles.
    I would say that you may be getting close to pressure max on these for what ever reason--of course they could be a soft primer material as well, what brand of primer are they?
    are you weighing the charges or dropping them through a powder measure?
    Unique generally does not drop uniformly through powder measures.
    lets see what the reloading gurus have to say???
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7523 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xiholdtruex View Post
    From what I could see, not really bad at all. When a primer really flattens, the border between the primer and primer pocket becomes almost nonexistent and there didn't seem to be much of any cratering either - this is just what I could tell from the video, mind you.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    Kind of hard for my old eyes to get a good view but it appears that the primers are cratering a bit, and a little flattening?
    a couple of ideas--
    first are you using reload info for a Hollow point?
    they are generally a tad longer and protrude into the case a bit more if set at OAL for a Round nose. etc.
    also is the projectile typical lead of lead core?
    lighter metals such as Copper and the composite type projectiles are a lot longer than standard projectiles.
    I would say that you may be getting close to pressure max on these for what ever reason--of course they could be a soft primer material as well, what brand of primer are they?
    are you weighing the charges or dropping them through a powder measure?
    Unique generally does not drop uniformly through powder measures.
    lets see what the reloading gurus have to say???
    Using mid range data for jhp per bullet manufacturer.
    these are plated hps rated for 1400fps 125gr rmr .357
    I am using winchester small magnum primers.
    weighing charges by hand and confirming with two different scales one digital one lee balence scale.

I tried unique from a powder measure but weight was all over so I only load unique by hand now since weight is not consistant.

factory ammo shows same flattening, Im loaded 10 more to double check next range trip.
    silverstring likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10930 times

Reload to range - loading 45acp

I have my formula's for 38/357 and 45colt and have just about loaded enough for the summer. But when I looked in my ammo pantry, only had 180 rounds of 45acp..Oh no....I decided it was time to study the arcane science of loading an auto caliber. After some research, I ordered my Lee 4 die set, and a batch of 200grn SWC from BT bullets. Having lots of HP38, decided to use that as my powder.
    First I had to get a round to pass the plunk and spin test in the test platform, which is a XD mod2 45 tactical. I knew it would be challenging to get a COL that would not put too much of the bullet down into the case, and it was a tight measurement. But found that a COL of 1.22 not a hundredth higher passed the test. Then came the manual feed test, it passed as well.( FYI I tried to seat the SWC bullet flush with the case shoulder, but with no lead above the shoulder, it wouldn't feed. So I stuck with 1.22.
    Name:  P1030458b.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  652.9 KB
    Well next is a 5 round accuracy/function test to determine which powder weight was a good performer and accurate.
    Name:  P1030454b.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  686.6 KB
    My test powder weights ranged from 4.2grn to 5.2grn. Now I know this isn't a thorough test, but this did provide enough data for the next longer test to come.
    Name:  P1030459b.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  776.5 KB
    Obviously a few factors played into today's session, 5 rounds is not enough of a data point to make a final decision & sometimes I shoot my XD well and other times...well lets just say totally dorky. Today was somewhere in between. This target was shot at 20 yards.

• First up was 4.2grn's - you actually are looking at two bullets touching, but that weight turned my pistol into a single shot. So I gave up after clearing two feed jams - but it did do a good group, just 4" low and right.
    • 4.5 grns was very accurate with a great 2" grouping, just slightly low and left.
    • 4.8 grns had a bit larger group at 3", and was left..Also I had one failure to return to battery..Not a valid data point, but worth mentioning.
    • 5.0 grns was my winner for today a 3" group very close to POA.
    • 5.2 grns -- well who knows, 2 bullets touching but a 5" group which was low quite a bit. But then that could have been me shooting dorky again.

Next up will be a 50 round test using 5.0 grns of HP38, if results are good, that will be my run weight. I calculated an FPS of around 850FPS out of my 5" barrel, NO I haven't bought a chrono yet - you reloading nerds you!!!!These BT bullets have quite a bit of case lube, which probably led to my barrel having very little leading after today's run, and of course my peerless load development..Cough...Cough...But was happy to see leading so far is not an issue.
    Last edited by silverstring; 05-19-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    10392 times
    Wow, just looking at your reload, I would say it would not work in either of my 1911s. With the .45 Auto the shoulder of the bullet must hit the feed ramp first, if the case mouth hits first you will get a failure to feed, or FTF. Looking at my data from loading 200 grain Magnus LSWC bullet, I have an OAL of 1.245, which came from a lot of test and retest to get a OAL that would work with my 1911s.

In my notes I cite an article from Handloader FEB 2010 by Brian Pearce that gives a OAL of 1.240 with a Laser Cast 200 grain LSWC. I just pulled that article and he also gives a minimum of 5.0 grains of W-231/HP-38 and his minimum for lead usually notes to not load less due to the probability of the bullet sticking in the bore, but I do not see that note here. Max load is listed as 6.5 grains for 1,026 fps out of a Kimber 5" barreled 1911. He goes on to mention that best accuracy with a 200 grain hard cast LSWC is between 800 and 900 fps. His minimum load of 5.0 grains lists velocity at 797 fps, 6.0 grains is at 945 fps. He also says to use a taper crimp of .470".

If you are getting higher velocity than what Pearce is showing it is probably because your OAL is a little shorter and therefore has a little higher pressure. Maybe I am just reading your post wrong, but if I understand it, you started with the shoulder flush and moved the bullet out until you got reliable feeding. If that is the case, lengthen your OAL to 1.240 and I think you will find your reliability will increase, while still passing the plunk test. When it comes to auto pistols and SWC bullets you always want to show a little shoulder. You always want to have the shoulder far enough out that it contacts the feed ramp before the case mouth. Also, you should not have any leading issue with those hard cast SWC bullets until you get up to over 1,000 fps.

But hey, if your OAL works with your XD, then you are OK. Your method looks good, which is the most important factor to consider. BTW, I found out that if I skip the coffee before going to the range, my shooting improves.
    Yissnakk and silverstring like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10930 times
    I am pretty sure I tried that OAL ( found same info during my research) and it wouldn't pass the plunk test in my XD barrel. But I will press one tonight and make sure. There is just barely enough lead shoulder to feed. Oh and not drinking coffee - ouch!!
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    26133 times
    WOW!
    yea that short would not function in most of my 45 acp either.
    now my tightest/shortest chamber in a 45 weapon is my CZ 97BD.
    with that pistol if i load for it all the other 45 (some 10-12) will run perfcetly as well.
    with the Berry or Extreme 200 grain SWC I run 7.0 grains of HS-6 at a 1.235 OAL and it works wonderfully and is accurate.
    that's about a 75% to 85% loading as I do NOT load powder puff loads in any caliber myself.
    I got 22 's for plinking and for the women and younguns to shoot!
    GreenWolf70 and silverstring like this.

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1489 times
    Yeah they look short, a good quick indicator roughly a thumb nail of bullet shoulder above the case. Adjust COAL from there. I disagree with others my most accurate LSWC loads I try to run in the 685-740 fps range with 720 fps optimal. Now that is my bullseye target loads, FMJ, SD loads I push much faster.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links