Reload to Range an online journal for us newbie reloaders to share our experiences. - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: Reload to Range an online journal for us newbie reloaders to share our experiences.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    In a .45 Auto I would not roll crimp at all. Unless you have extra thick or extra thin brass, taper crimp to .470". Use the Lee FCD that comes in your 4 die set and only screw it in until you get .470" at the case mouth, or really just slightly behind the case mouth. If you are getting any roll crimping, you have over adjusted the FCD. Loading Magnus 200 grain LSWC, from my notes I have an OAL of 1.245".

What I have found over the years from loading .45 Auto with SWC bullets is that you must expose enough of the shoulder so the bullet shoulder is the first thing to hit the feed ramp.
    I may have misspoken - I was thinking that the seating die also roll crimps. It may do a taper crimp - Lee isn't very specific on that topic and recommends using their factory crimp die which, as you stated, does a taper crimp. Sorry for throwing confusion into the mix
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    25636 times
    yep-I am with Mr. G. Wolf.
    I use the plated 200 GR SWC in all 16-17 of my 1911, the CZ 97 BD, the 24/7C Taurus (now it will occasionally have mishap with them) but the others run like butter through all the 45/s.
    I do not roll crimp any semi round, its all taper crimps.
    but with the SWC you need to play with the OAl ( actually the space at the front of the case /projectile) to get it right then they work fine.
    gosh I have shot literally thousands of these through my 45 acp.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    25636 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    I have a question. I am getting ready to load 45acp, the two pistols are a XD mod2 Tactical and a Taurus PT945. My question is SWC vs RN. I haven't run SWC's through any of my 45's. Looking at 185/200 or 230, but would like to try 200grn first. Will SWC's feed reliably?
    OH yea, as long as the OAL is right, I have been shooting 200 SWC through my 45's now as paper punchers for quite a while.
    I am sure you will check but you will notice a good bit of difference in powder loads in the swc as compared to regular RN. JHP, etc due to so much of the projectile being down in the case.
    Yissnakk, silverstring and oso like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1438 times
    I shoot 12k-16k of 185gr. and 200gr. LSWC per year, they are the cheapest and most accurate. Although I have found a 185gr. JHP load that is very accurate at 25 yds. All the LSWC I shoot are through 1911's but I don't see why they wouldn't feed through a ramped barrel.
    olfarhors and silverstring like this.

Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    lees factory crimp die performs a taper crimp? I thought their seating die did that?
    Yissnakk and silverstring like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xiholdtruex View Post
    lees factory crimp die performs a taper crimp? I thought their seating die did that?
    Their seating die does perform a crimp (everything I can find on the net says that it IS a roll crimp). The biggest issue with that seating die crimp, though, is when seating lead or Hi-Tek coated lead bullets because the crimping process is being performed while the bullet is still being seated which will peel lead or coating off the bullet, depending on how it's set. Hence the reason lots of people use the taper crimp die.
    silverstring likes this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1438 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    Their seating die does perform a crimp (everything I can find on the net says that it IS a roll crimp). The biggest issue with that seating die crimp, though, is when seating lead or Hi-Tek coated lead bullets because the crimping process is being performed while the bullet is still being seated which will peel lead or coating off the bullet, depending on how it's set. Hence the reason lots of people use the taper crimp die.

I have never encountered that problem with RCBS dies, I always crimp with the seating die.

Member #
    Liked
    9880 times
    Seating die for the Lee is a taper crimp, as is the FCD for the .45 Auto. I crimp as a separate step is why I mentioned the FCD. I think the FCD ends with a roll, but as I said, you are way past where you should be taper crimping with the FCD if you are getting that roll crimp.

I know there are some here who roll crimp .45 Auto for revolvers that shoot .45 Auto, but if you are running it through an auto pistol, understand that the .45 Auto headspaces on the case mouth.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post

did some research into this, this morning and found that auto cartridges with the factory crimp die perform a taper crimp and the revolver cartridge dies perform a roll crimp according to the lee site.

Revolver dies roll crimp with no limit as to the amount. A perfect taper crimp is applied to auto-loader rounds. from the link below I am going to have to take a look at it again when I load 9mm this week I could have sworn it roll crimped the last time I used it
    https://leeprecision.com/reloading-d...ory-crimp-die/

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1438 times
    Yes if you roll crimp .45acp and shoot it out of a semi auto you are relying on the extractor hook to stop the cartridge instead of the shoulder in the chamber that the case would stop against.
    olfarhors and silverstring like this.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links