Reload to Range an online journal for us newbie reloaders to share our experiences. - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Reload to Range an online journal for us newbie reloaders to share our experiences.

Member #
    Liked
    982 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    I'm not about to start getting into a dick measuring contest with you. It serves no purpose. You have your areas of expertise and I have mine. By training, I'm an electrical engineer. I've worked with pressure measurement systems with a team of other EE's. The pressures we dealt with were significantly lower than what is produced by the chemical reaction of smokeless powders. Our pressures spiked and maxxed out around 1700 psi. I'm just relaying my experience in accurately capturing pressures including maximum spikes.
    Like I said, maybe visit the Pressure Trace site. Otherwise, maybe recall the intent of this particular thread. We can do electrical and electronics somewhere else some other time!
    silverstring likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10725 times
    Plan to recipe to range. I am beginning to understand how reloading effects accuracy. My test platform is my new Ruger newblackhawk in 45Colt. I ran 4 different loads using Acme 255 Grn poly coated SWC with Trailboss powder. My powder weights were 5.2,5.6,5.8, and 6.0 grains. COL is 1.589", roll crimp at top crimping band.
    Name:  P1030439bb.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  591.2 KB
    Here are my results, with caveat. I had to shoot sitting down on my Gator tailgate (still have back issues) and was at 20 yards. The winner by far were the loads with 5.6 grains of Trailboss three rounds touching (3/4 inch group), 5.8 grains was second with a 1.5 inch group. It was neat to be able to see the difference in loads. So 5.6 seems to be what my Blackhawk likes to eat. I plan on trying a few loads from the low end of spectrum - 4.2 and 4.6 just to see how low I can go and still stay on target ( light recoiling rounds for grandkids to use). I am having a blast. Thanks to you folks for helping me get started.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13103 times
    And if you had used a chrony, you would also have an idea of the velocity your barrel likes. Which you could have taken to another powder.

Someone speak up if I have misinterpreted.
    silverstring, 57K and Yissnakk like this.

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 18

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10725 times
    Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    And if you had used a chrony, you would also have an idea of the velocity your barrel likes. Which you could have taken to another powder.

Someone speak up if I have misinterpreted.
    Yep, I am saving up for a chrony. It is the next step in developing a consistent performer.
    GreenWolf70, william, 57K and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    982 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    Yep, I am saving up for a chrony. It is the next step in developing a consistent performer.
    Once you get a Chrony, and hopefully one that gives you standard deviation, try True Blue! It will take you from similar loads all the way up to the 30,000 PSI .45 Colt loads!
    silverstring and Yissnakk like this.
    Shoot slowly and deliberately: As fast as you can!

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

Deacon Viking

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10725 times
    I have a question. I am getting ready to load 45acp, the two pistols are a XD mod2 Tactical and a Taurus PT945. My question is SWC vs RN. I haven't run SWC's through any of my 45's. Looking at 185/200 or 230, but would like to try 200grn first. Will SWC's feed reliably?
    Yissnakk likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7361 times
    I have a question. I am getting ready to load 45acp, the two pistols are a XD mod2 Tactical and a Taurus PT945. My question is SWC vs RN. I haven't run SWC's through any of my 45's. Looking at 185/200 or 230, but would like to try 200grn first. Will SWC's feed reliably?
    The SWC's shouldn't have any feed issues. You may have to play with seating depth a wee bit and possibly a Lee factory crimp die since you'll want to flare the case mouth a little bit more for lead bullets and the seating die may not provide enough of a roll for it (just maybe). Keep that in your hip pocket in case you encounter feeding issues where the round won't chamber completely - make sure you plink test the first few rounds when you are adjusting your dies by removing the barrel from the guns and dropping the round in the chamber. It should drop in (with a nice "plink!") and fall back out easily.

For revolvers, there are accuracy nodes waaaay below what is listed in the books as minimum charge, since you don't need anything to cycle an action. I've used as little as 3.0gn of Red Dot in a 4" .357 - not terribly accurate but not bad.
    silverstring and olfarhors like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10725 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    The SWC's shouldn't have any feed issues. You may have to play with seating depth a wee bit and possibly a Lee factory crimp die since you'll want to flare the case mouth a little bit more for lead bullets and the seating die may not provide enough of a roll for it (just maybe). Keep that in your hip pocket in case you encounter feeding issues where the round won't chamber completely - make sure you plink test the first few rounds when you are adjusting your dies by removing the barrel from the guns and dropping the round in the chamber. It should drop in (with a nice "plink!") and fall back out easily.

For revolvers, there are accuracy nodes waaaay below what is listed in the books as minimum charge, since you don't need anything to cycle an action. I've used as little as 3.0gn of Red Dot in a 4" .357 - not terribly accurate but not bad.
    I have ordered the Lee 4 die set. You mentioned seating depth as a poss issue. Is that because of using a SWC, would a RN or RNFP have the same kind of concern. I know I have to seat any round to the correct position - EX: Grafs poly coated seating to the top band etc..
    Yissnakk likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7361 times
    I have ordered the Lee 4 die set. You mentioned seating depth as a poss issue. Is that because of using a SWC, would a RN or RNFP have the same kind of concern. I know I have to seat any round to the correct position - EX: Grafs poly coated seating to the top band etc..
    It's the SWC - depending on your feed ramp the flat nose could catch - it may not at all - my PT24/7G2 never had any issues and neither have any of my 1911's, when loading at the prescribed COAL. The only issue I encountered was getting the roll crimp just right. Made the mistake when I first started reloading, of getting too excited and loading up several hundred rounds and figuring out at the range that they wouldn't chamber because I'd flared too aggressively and crimped too lightly
    silverstring likes this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    9818 times
    In a .45 Auto I would not roll crimp at all. Unless you have extra thick or extra thin brass, taper crimp to .470". Use the Lee FCD that comes in your 4 die set and only screw it in until you get .470" at the case mouth, or really just slightly behind the case mouth. If you are getting any roll crimping, you have over adjusted the FCD. Loading Magnus 200 grain LSWC, from my notes I have an OAL of 1.245".

What I have found over the years from loading .45 Auto with SWC bullets is that you must expose enough of the shoulder so the bullet shoulder is the first thing to hit the feed ramp.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links