Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Does anyone have load data for SMP 735.

11K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  mileskenneth426 
#1 ·
I have a pound of SMP 735 powder, but don't have any load data for it. The powder is made by St. marks powder. I already called and all that I got was that it is used for .223, but they could not give any load data or would not, due to liability issues. Is there someone that can point me in the right direction or with prior experience with this ball powder? It would be a shame to have to discard this powder, specially in today's economy.

#2 ·
Try AR15.com. They are the know all on the AR 15 and .223. Hope it helps.

#3 ·
Never heard of it. Just googling, I found it was distributed by Hodgdon, but I can find no info on it. Seems it's a powder made for the military to their specs, or that's what I read on it. .

#4 ·
NativeTexan said:
Never heard of it. Just googling, I found it was distributed by Hodgdon, but I can find no info on it. Seems it's a powder made for the military to their specs, or that's what I read on it. .
And if that is indeed the case, it is likely useful only in one specific load in one specific cartridge; this is not at all uncommon.

Absent actual load data from the manufacturer, I would not even think of using it. A pound of powder is roughly $25 - not worth the risk of messing with an unknown substance. Now if you had 25 or 30 pounds of the stuff ...

#8 ·
And if that is indeed the case, it is likely useful only in one specific load in one specific cartridge; this is not at all uncommon. Absent actual load data from the manufacturer, I would not even think of using it. A pound of powder is roughly $25 - not worth the risk of messing with an unknown substance. Now if you had 25 or 30 pounds of the stuff ...
SMP735 is OEM powder, 24.5 grains for 55 fmj. Ive loaded for 10 years with it. It is simply the best. Y

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.