Lil Gun data for 45LC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    11220 times

Lil Gun data for 45LC

All the Lil Gun data I see for the 45LC is for the hot loads in Ruger/TC. The starting data is way too hot for my Judge. Are there any lighter loads using Lil Gun?
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    1804 times

Re: Lil Gun data for 45LC

g-wolf: 45lcs are a large capacity cartridge, and I wouldn't fool around without an EXACT starting load.

Hodgon sells a very reasonable load manual for their powders ($10 at Barnes & Noble) or check on-line at http://www.hodgdon.com

The on-line has a really complete (and free) set of specs.

When I did load 45 LCs years ago for my Ruger BHawk, some of the hotter loads were edging up to magnum speeds. So careful there. Just my $ .02

Member #
    Liked
    264 times

if your wanting light loads , set the lil gun back on the shelf and pick up a can of trail boss you will get a lot better loads ,

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times

What he said ....

TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times

Oh ... maybe Universal too.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

AA N100

Aliant bullseye ,power pistol.

If it flie's it die's, if it run's it's done.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

U N I Q U E ! ! !

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31876 times

Quote Originally Posted by shaner
    if your wanting light loads , set the lil gun back on the shelf and pick up a can of trail boss you will get a lot better loads ,
    You beat me to it. Unique is a good powder for normal loads. Lil' Gun is way too slow.

I push a 255 grain flat point cast bullet to around 950 fps with 8.3 grains of Unique, very accurate.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    11220 times

I guess you guys are missing the point. I'm looking for something between the standard 45LC loads but way short of the Ruger/TC 45LC loads. Something between 16,000 and 19,000 CUP, I guess. The Judge is sure as heck stronger than a cowboy action SA Italian clone (less than 16,000CUP) but not up there with the Ruger Blackhawk (35,000 CUP). Most starting loads for the Ruger loads begin around 20,000 CUP and work up. Lil Gun, which I have on hand, is listed for loading to Ruger pressure levels but not for the traditional 45LC loads. The only powder I see listed for both is Titeload, but I know that Lil Gun generally performs with less pressure at the same performance level. I'm wondering if I can get Elmer Keith's old performance goal for the 44 Special of 240 grains at 1200 fps with Lil Gun in the Judge (2 1/2" chambers, 4" barrel).
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31876 times

The big problem is that slow powders are generally not consistent at lower pressures. I know I've found that trying to use 2400 in +P .38 loads, a powder that is very consistent at .357 pressure levels.. Lil' Gun ain't going to be a lot different.

You can pump Unique up to push a 250 grain bullet at 1000 fps or a little faster with some over pressure levels. I'd look to Unique and perhaps Universal Clays for a medium pressure load.

I really don't see the need in pushing the Judge, though. I mean, if a 255 grain flat point at 1000 fps can't kill it, it don't need to be kilt. That load will kill deer or hog as well as the hottest of .357 magnum loads. It's got a LOT of penetration for a mild load just due to bullet momentum. You simply don't need to hot rod this caliber. It'll take on the meanest black bear in the woods with 8.5-9.0 grains Unique pushing a 255 grain flat nose.

One thing I've been hearing just recently, like today, on another board is the claim that Lil' Gun in HOT loads causes forcing cone erosion. That is quite possible just lookin' at it's burn rate. Here's the guy's post.....

I'm a little bit afraid of Lil' Gun. It's developing a reputation on the internet for being hard on revolvers and their forcing cones. I usually reserve a healthy dose of skepticism for such claims, but Bob Baker of Freedom Arms has confirmed that they have had problems with Lil' Gun and have done some sample testing which seems to support the accusations. Search the internet for "The Truth About Lil' Gun" if you would like to read it yourself, but there isn't much there that I haven't about summed up. The hypotheses is that because Lil' Gun has about 10% more nitro glycerin than H-110, it gets the gun much hotter allowing the forcing cone to be damaged more easily by pressure and abrasion.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links