Reloading 380ACP for short barrel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    11220 times

Reloading 380ACP for short barrel

Its been quite a while (at least 10 years) since I loaded 380ACP, but my reloading notes say 4.6 grains of SR-7625 pushing a 90 grain Hornady XTP gave me just over 1,000 fps from my Makarov. Anyone using any of the newer powders and getting over 1,000 fps from a short barrel? What bullet? Tell me about muzzle flash?
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22654 times

Re: Reloading 380ACP for short barrel

I use either 3 grains of Red Dot or 3.2 grains of Green Dot under most any 88 to 90 grain JHP and will get about 1,000 fps from the short barrel of my Walther PPK/S.

A favorite practice load is 3.0 grains of WST under any 90 grain RNL for about 850 fps.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    11220 times

I looked at Red Dot and Green Dot as well as Unique back when I developed the SR-7625 load and thought SR-7625 was a little faster with less muzzle flash.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22654 times

Actually, SR7625 is slower, but use whatever you like. I've found the IMR SR powders a bit on the pricey side. The Red Dot and WST loads have very little Muzzle Flash and the Green Dot loads Muzzle Flash is tolerable.

I have also used Unique, HS6, and Blue Dot. Those powders are not very efficient with short barrels and the low pressures of the .380 ACP. WST would be a very good choice, but there is such a lack of load data for it in this application.

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    11220 times

I got on the SR-7625 from an article on reloading the 380ACP for short barreled pistols and worked up the load about 15-20 years ago. I stayed deployed too much over the last 15 years to keep up with reloading and my equipment sat boxed up in the basement until last year.

I'll have to check out WST, I've remember reading some place else that its known for being low flash.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22654 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70
    I'll have to check out WST, I've remember reading some place else that its known for being low flash.
    WST is Very Low Flash, burns clean, very Temperature stable, and meters extremely well, being a Ball Powder. Try it, you'll love it!

Member #
    Liked
    11220 times

I'll work it up as an alternate to the SR-7625 loads I'm already using.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Honestly, If you want more than 1000fps buy a 9mm Luger. Don't try to make a round do what it wasn't designed for. Thats how cases rupture & guns blow up.. FWIW..
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba sawyer
    Honestly, If you want more than 1000fps buy a 9mm Luger. Don't try to make a round do what it wasn't designed for. Thats how cases rupture & guns blow up.. FWIW..
    +1

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31855 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba sawyer
    Yep, you're not going to hot rod a blow back pistol much without risking a face full of hot gases. Stick to around 900 fps. I load bullseye in .380 and it works fine. I don't carry it much, prefer my 9x19 Kel Tec pushing a 115 grain JHP to 1263 fps from a 3" barrel. That's a plus P load, but is doable in a locked breach gun like the P11. It's not that tough to pocket carry, either. This is why I don't carry .380 much. I'm not sure why I even want that little Taurus TCP, but I've got the hots for it for some odd reason. I guess, you can't have too many carry options.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links