• 1 Post By guesser
  • 1 Post By guesser

Thread: .444 Marlin Brass

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46283 times

.444 Marlin Brass

I'm a little confused, my understanding is .444 Marlin uses Large Rifle Primers, however I have been reading in many places where people are using Large Pistol Primers when loading them for shot shell loads. I would think the Pistol Primers would seat to deep and not be reliable.

Any way I am finally getting around to finishing up my .444 Marlin Brass in .410 loads for the Public Defender Judge. Hopefully this evening I will fire off my first test loads.

It has been an off and on project for a couple of years now. Every time I was close I would second guess what I was doing and start more research. Between that and life getting in the way it drug on. There is a lot of bit and piece information out there and I think I finally resolved my final crimp issue kind of by accident.

Yes I know there is .410 brass available, however it has its own issues for what I am looking for.

I'll post more on the subject after I work out all the details and make sure I get the results I was looking for.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    25800 times
    .444 is a rifle round and with 50 or more grains of powder to burn I'd be using a rifle primer.
    I'm no expert on the round but load data I see all say rifle as well.

Cant wait to see/hear about results!!
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.
    If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
    .................................................. ...........................................
    Noam Chomsky

Member #
    Liked
    4993 times
    Comments made in this thread caused me to do a bit of research on primer heights.
    It turn out that small pistol and small rifle primers, standard or magnum are the exact same external sizes.
    However large rifle primers are .008 inches taller than large pistol primers. That might cause ignition problems with some weapons depending on tolerances.

https://ballistictools.com/articles/...d-diameter.php

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    Comments made in this thread caused me to do a bit of research on primer heights.
    It turn out that small pistol and small rifle primers, standard or magnum are the exact same external sizes.
    However large rifle primers are .008 inches taller than large pistol primers. That might cause ignition problems with some weapons depending on tolerances.

https://ballistictools.com/articles/...d-diameter.php
    I agree that is how I am wondering how people are using large Pistol instead of large Rifle. I know I have 19 .500 S&W cases that use Large Pistol Primers instead of Large Rifle Primers like the rest of them. I inadvertently primed a couple of the Large Rifle cases with Large Pistol primers and they did not fir in my gun. The firing pin left the slightest dimple in them, but no bang. I had to go through about 60 primers to make sure no large pistol were mixed in with the large rifle after that. Any way just to see what it would look like I put a large rifle primer in a case that called for a large pistol. The primer stuck up high as I expected it would.

I now do not trust any of the information from the people that report using the Large Pistol Primers. If that is incorrect how can I trust any of their other posted information?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    6519 times
    I've loaded many, many 444 cases for use in 410 shotguns as well as a friends Judge. I use LP primers for all because they are a little softer, helps insure positive primer ignition in the hand guns and the pressures are so low that they work well in the single and double barrel 410 shot guns as well. The 444 Marlin as a rifle cartridge operates above 36000 PSI; as a shot gun cartridge it is down lower than 38 Special, most standard shot gun loads will be in the 10,000 to 12,000 PSI range. A LP primer function flawlessly at those operating pressures. Also remember that you are using shotgun/handgun powders for the shot shells based on the 444 case.
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    6519 times
    The only problem I ever encountered with the 444 cases is they will not function thru a pump or lever action 410 shotgun. I wasted a lot of time trying to get them to work thru a Winchester 9410 and a Mossburg pump.
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by guesser View Post
    I've loaded many, many 444 cases for use in 410 shotguns as well as a friends Judge. I use LP primers for all because they are a little softer, helps insure positive primer ignition in the hand guns and the pressures are so low that they work well in the single and double barrel 410 shot guns as well. The 444 Marlin as a rifle cartridge operates above 36000 PSI; as a shot gun cartridge it is down lower than 38 Special, most standard shot gun loads will be in the 10,000 to 12,000 PSI range. A LP primer function flawlessly at those operating pressures. Also remember that you are using shotgun/handgun powders for the shot shells based on the 444 case.
    My two test loads both have Rifle Primers I'll try them first. If the have issues I'll look at using Pistol Primers. My concern is the difference in height of the primers and getting solid primer strikes. I guess I can just load up some primers only and test them.

Sponsored Links