Bad bullets for my revolver UPDATE good bullets for my revolver
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Bad bullets for my revolver UPDATE good bullets for my revolver

Well I have got a M66 with a 12" barrel ,I started reloading with some shop bought cast bullets 158 grn RNFP .357 the first loads were ok but not nearly as good as I would have expected from a 12" barrel at 25 yards,I thought the problem was me so I put a red dot sight on the gun modified the load and tried again, still not good so I tried a different load ,even worse. At this point I started to do some casting so I cast some Wadcutters and some round nose at a friends house loaded them up 7 grns of blue dot under the RN and 2.8 grns of bullseye under the WC .and the results were very good so now I was happy. but then I got some different powder that had been recommed to me so I loaded some round and went to the range, the group was real bad so whats the problem, I sat down and thought about it ,it turns out the bullets I used for the new powder were the shop bought ones, could this be the problem ,so I put a mic on them and it turns out they are exactly .357 and the ones I cast were .359 that 2 thou difference made a 5" difference in group size on the target at 25 yards.
    I was talking to a friend at the club with the same gun and he was using the same shop bought bullets and had the same problem so it seems that the 12" barrel M66 does not like .357 bullets .

Has anyone else had the same problem.

Mark
    It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Re: Bad bullets for my revolver

Your bullets are too small. Cast bullets should be .001-.002 larger than groove diameter, with .001 being ideal. In a .357 the bullets should be .358-.359.
    That 1 or 2 thousandths makes a big difference, as you have learned.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by single stack
    That 1 or 2 thousandths makes a big difference, as you have learned.
    Sure have I just wish I could have spotted it earlier.
    Anyway I have just got a Lee 150 grn SWC mold and thats turning them out at .359 and nice and clean. I hope to try them out on wednesday I will post the results .

Mark

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32442 times

I size some bullets to .357 that shoot fine in .38/.357. I HAVE to size my .357 bullets, else how am I gonna crimp the gas check on. I size 'em to .357 and they shoot great.

Some bullets just don't work, though. Some ain't worth a toot in anything I have and some just don't work in a particular gun. I've settled on the molds I like and the ones that haven't worked are collecting dust. LOL Sometimes I can figure out the why, sometimes it's just a mystery and I move on.

Yeah, you should shoot cast bullets .001-.002 thou over bore for best results, though, and that saves you from having to size the things as the as cast size is usually .358-.359, depending on the alloy and how well it fills the mold out, for a .38 bullet. But, I do size my 105 SWC to .357 and shoot it in .357s as well as 9x19 (.355 bore) and .380 and it works great in all three sized to .357. I really use it more in the .355 bores for practice, but it's a favorite light load bullet in my Rossi rifle, mimics .22LR in that gun for uses and really makes it a versatile gun, good for deer/hog with heavy loads down to squirrel and small game with the .38 loads. All I have to do is adjust my rear sight elevation for the load of choice. I size that bullet as a matter of routine because of the dual use of it. It really is an accurate bullet design, a Lee mold, and at 105 grains, a pound of lead lasts a long time.

I have not really had good luck with round nose designs far as accuracy goes, with a few exceptions. But, my best molds have tended to be SWC designs or truncated cone and flat points. I'm not really sure if that's a rule or just my luck, though. I will still try a round nose design if someone recommends it, but generally, if I'm diving off into a new caliber (haven't done that in a while), I look to a SWC design for a first mold.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Hello NT

Well I hope this one will work well, I am not worried about GC as I never use them. the RNFP work well in my Marlin but that may have a tighter bore, I am hoping the SWC will work well in both guns to keep things simple.

Its funny you would think a round nose would be more accurate being smooth but it seems that SWC and WC with the sharp corners work better strange.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32442 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mark II
    Hello NT

Well I hope this one will work well, I am not worried about GC as I never use them. the RNFP work well in my Marlin but that may have a tighter bore, I am hoping the SWC will work well in both guns to keep things simple.

Its funny you would think a round nose would be more accurate being smooth but it seems that SWC and WC with the sharp corners work better strange.
    I think it depends on the ogive, the shape of the nose. Thing that helps wadcutters is that they engage the rifling the length of the bullet. Some long, tapered round nose designs probably tend to strip the rifling a bit more or might rock off center in the bore more as not as much of the bullet is grabbing the rifling.

Similarly, a SWC has a solid grab on the barrel, won't tend to rock off center as might a round nose with a long, tapered ogive.

I have no real proof of this, but it's just something that has always stuck in my mind about the subject. Seems logical even if it's wrong, LOL. I do have one round nose that shoots well in my .45s. I don't really use it, but it does. it's actually a 220 grain conical mold for my black powder Ruger Old Army revolver. I have one of the discontinued hollow point molds and a regular round nose. The hollow point mold is the same bullet with a punch in the front for the hollow. Sized to .451, that one works great in my .45s. It's a .457" diameter as cast. It has a long straight side to it and the round nose is a perfect hemisphere, is not an elongated bullet. That's probably why it works. If it had a flat ogive to a flat nose meplat, it'd be a truncated cone. LOL

I don't know, but good luck though on that bullet. I've bought bullets before that didn't work. Cheaper than buying molds that don't work and at least you can melt 'em for the lead. LOL!
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

NT That makes perfect sense ,I just had a look at the RN and SWC and the SWC has more bullet surface to ride the rifling so you could be right there I will find out on wednesday and let you know.

Mark

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Re: Bad bullets for my revolver UPDATE GOOD BULLET

Well I have just got back from the range testing a new bullet. its a 150 GRN SWC from Lee over 6 Grns of Vitavouri 3N37 and at 25 yards I was getting 1 1/2" group resting on a box, I am happy with that . according to the info it should be about 1150 fps from the 12" barrel and best of all only a tiny smudge of leading from 50 rounds.
    The bullets were cast from range scrap and came out at .359 tumble lubed in liquid Alox.

Looks like I have found a good load at last , next I shall try it in my Marlin 1894c.

Mark

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    23592 times

Congratulations on the new load! Sounds Great! Hope it works well in the Marlin.

I think the Liquid Alox works very well.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    30157 times

NULLI SECUNDUS

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links