Anyone here using a lock-out die?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Anyone here using a lock-out die?

BANNED
    Member #
    Liked
    1499 times

Anyone here using a lock-out die?

I've been using my RCBS Lock-Out die for a short while. I like it a lot. Very good protection when you have a progressive press. The guy up at Dillon recommended it to me last year.

Today, I set up my press to crank out some .357 mags. Set up the die. Ran an empty case through, and it locked. Ran a double charge through, and it did not lock !

Went through the whole process several times. Same results.

On my Hornady LNL press, the position of the dies, when I add the lock-ot die, does not allow me to peek inside of that long, narrow .357 case, even with my light.

I guess I'll call RCBS tomorrow, and see what they say. Maybe I'll also order a Hornady "Powder Cop" die which is essentially the same thing, just to have a back-up, or use for different calibers without changing adjustment.

In the meantime, maybe somebody has a thought, or solution.

Member #
    Liked
    1068 times
    I load on single stage presses.
    Haven't had any problems.
    Good luck.
    lwb92af and olfarhors like this.
    Why do I carry a gun?
    I don't plan on getting a flat, but I still have a spare tire.

SA XDs 45 acp
    TCP738 (x3)
    PT111G2

I love the smell of gun powder in the morning, it smells like freedom.

BANNED
    Member #
    Liked
    1499 times
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader64 View Post
    I load on single stage presses.
    Haven't had any problems.
    Good luck.
    Save your money ........ Maybe someday

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26091 times
    sounds like it is designed to protect against Squibs?
    I don't do progressives (in reloading presses or politicians) so I have no use for it myself.-------------
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

BANNED
    Member #
    Liked
    1499 times
    Called RCBS. They said send it back. Ordered Hornady Powder-Cop die from Amazon. That should be here way before RCBS returns my die
    darbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3101 times
    I use the RCBS Lock Out Die on my Dillon XL650 press and it performs as it's supposed to. No powder, locks up the press, double load of powder, locks up the press. I like having it there. Gives me a little peace of mind. You must have had a bad one I guess.
    Rottiejake likes this.
    Resist much, obey little. Walt Whitman

Semper Fi

BANNED
    Member #
    Liked
    1499 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyluke View Post
    I use the RCBS Lock Out Die on my Dillon XL650 press and it performs as it's supposed to. No powder, locks up the press, double load of powder, locks up the press. I like having it there. Gives me a little peace of mind. You must have had a bad one I guess.
    Yeah, I dunno. It worked fine with the last run of .45 ACP that I loaded. Changed the adjustment for the .357, and it stopped working. Internal spring got stuck somehow also. Had no spring tension at all

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I have used one for thousands of rounds. Works great! Has prevented both squib loads and double charges.
    Rottiejake likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    192 times
    I just started using a Progressive (upgrade from a turret) and have the powder check die, not the lock out die. When I saw your post, I looked to learn more and found a two-part post that really helped me understand how it works - RCBS Lock-Out Die Part I: Theory of Operation | Ultimate Reloader and RCBS Lock-Out Die Part II: Setup and Maintenance | Ultimate Reloader. May help in the future.

After reading these articles, I'm seriously considering ordering one,. Thanks for the heads up and hope yours gets back from RCBS soon.
    CAPT, USNR(ret)
    Mechanical Engineer (retired)
    Ex-Hunter, current Target Shooter

"Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it."-- Doug Larson,American newspaper columnist

BANNED
    Member #
    Liked
    1499 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinnedknuckles View Post
    I just started using a Progressive (upgrade from a turret) and have the powder check die, not the lock out die. When I saw your post, I looked to learn more and found a two-part post that really helped me understand how it works - RCBS Lock-Out Die Part I: Theory of Operation | Ultimate Reloader and RCBS Lock-Out Die Part II: Setup and Maintenance | Ultimate Reloader. May help in the future.

After reading these articles, I'm seriously considering ordering one,. Thanks for the heads up and hope yours gets back from RCBS soon.
    The Hornady "Powder Cop" die arrived yesterday. Essentially, it looks just like the RCBS. I'll probably set it up later. Not sure if I'll leave it set for the .357, and use the RCBS for everything else, or what. Thing about those dies, is the extremely was and fast set-up. The other option might be just to keep using whichever one is in the press, and keep the other for back-up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links