410 reloads? Or 45 reloads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 410 reloads? Or 45 reloads?

Member #
    Liked
    36 times

Red face 410 reloads? Or 45 reloads?

Hi, I'm very interested in learning how to reload, and until recently when shooting my Judge had no idea that you could reload 410's (I'm new to guns)until a gentleman at a range asked for my shells. I didn't see 410's in the Speer book, and since i have the option, figured I'd ask you guys which is easier to learn. I know that shot gun shells are cheaper, and doesn't seem worth the effort, but if i could recreate the PDX1's that would be awesome! I'd like to be able to cast bullets/pellets as well (seems like 410 would be more fun in creativity of different loads . ) So for a novice with an option.... learn 410 or 45? Thanks!!
    "Individual rights were not originated to protect criminals but to bring freedom to honest men. Into this area of protection then dived those who needed "freedom" and "Individual liberty" to cover their own questionable activities. Freedom is for honest people." -L Ron Hubbard

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31966 times
    I don't reload shotgun shells, but I do .45Colt. Like you said shotgun ammo is cheap enough, with the exception of defensive stuff. I can say reloading the .45Colt is a pretty simple straight forward process, and enjoyable too. With the cost of .45Colt, reloading it makes more sense economically to me.
    TheOldRedneck likes this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    I believe the correct answer is yes. Reload either. Or both. You will learn alot about your ammo and your gun as you go. You wont save money because you will shoot more. But the cost per round will go down and you should be able to produce a batch of quality ammo fairly easily with a little practice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Is reloading something like a defensive round even possible? Or would i be getting myself in over my head being new?
    "Individual rights were not originated to protect criminals but to bring freedom to honest men. Into this area of protection then dived those who needed "freedom" and "Individual liberty" to cover their own questionable activities. Freedom is for honest people." -L Ron Hubbard

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31966 times
    Once you learn the process, you can reload your own defensive ammo. Projectiles and powder charges will be the only difference basically.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Its possible tho many advise against it for legal reasons. I dont really have an opin on that yet. But reloading target rounds can save you enough coin to splurge on the SD ammo of your choice. If you choose to go that route.
    Many big ammo makers do offer their high end SD bullets for sale to reloaders also.

Edited to add: by legal i mean liability reasons

Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Yes you can reload .410 and .45 colt and yes after a few reloads with .410 one can start saving some change on them also....

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Ok cool, for some reason I actually prefer to shoot the 410 out of the judge over the 45, which is why i asked, I'd assume the tools for reloading 410 is different than 45's, and since i prefer the defensive rounds, in my personal case, I should learn that to save money. But wanted to ask first so that I don't get over my head. Any recommendation on good places to buy books or tools for the 410 reloads?

Member #
    Liked
    2877 times
    You can reload 410 no problem but all you are gonna be able to do is buck or birdshot. I don't think anyone offers any other types of load for them, with the exception of slugs.
    ‘‘It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.’’ - Justice Robert H. Jackson

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    29224 times
    Debating the "Legal Issues" of handloads for self defense can get as protracted as the ole "Ford vs. Chevy" debate.

My stock answer is, "it depends on the political climate of the region you live in".

During my legal/law enforcement career I've testified in depositions & court in numerous shooting cases.

Here in my area of the "Deep South" the number one issue has always been "Was the shooting justified under the law" period. Whether or not the ammo used was commercial or handloaded has never been an issue.

If you have doubts, check with your nearest State's Attorney office.

mingaa and Greg_R like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links