Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Phillyd
  • 1 Post By RedDog

Thread: Decocker & snap caps question

Member #
    Liked
    24 times

Decocker & snap caps question

Is the decocker the only way to engage the firing pin lock on a PT92? Or is that what the manual safety does as well? Is that ALL that the manual safety does? With all the different safety methods on the gun, I'm trying to think of the best one/combo to use on a regular basis. I'm thinking of chambering a round from a full magazine, using the decocker to set the firing pin lock, and then putting on the manual safety. The hardest part for my wife is chambering a round with the slide, so I'm thinking of ways to avoid that for both her and my daughter. That way, if I have this figured out right, there is a couple of fairly easy and quiet steps required to fire. You'd take off the safety, cock back the hammer, and pull the trigger. But I'd much rather ask the advice of the experts than to trust that I have this all figured out.

Also, I purchased some snap caps for practicing with the gun. I figured my daughter would be less afraid of them than real ammo. But once the practice is over and I'm ready to go back to real rounds, is there an easy way to manually remove the snap caps from the magazine, or is it best to just keep manually chambering a round until they are all out?
    Taurus PT92 Two-Tone (1920151SPL17)
    about.me/DanielEaton

If the Second Amendment stated that the rights of citizens to vote shall not be infringed, does anyone seriously think that reading tests, waiting periods, limits to the number of votes you can cast, limits to how fast you can vote, or any other discouragement or pressure or cost would be tolerated?

Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    I do not have a 92 so i can not say for sure, but why not just use the safety only? Leave it ready to fire in the event its needed. And as far as the snap caps, yes either run the round through the chamber or just push them out with your thumb. If you do cycle them through the 92, if nothing else, it helps break in the slide more.
    djeaton likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3458 times
    I don't have the PT92, so I can't answer the question on the decocker. My 24/7 OSS has a decocker, but not the hammer. I can decock the pistol after cambering a round and when ready to fire, I just push the safety down and off and pull the trigger. On the other question, you can manually unload the magazine by pushing the rounds out with your thumb. You do not need to cycle them through the chamber.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19157 times
    Or you could do as you say, then when needed flip the safety lever and go double action on the first trigger pull, no need to manually cock the hammer. With some practice the DA first pull on my PX4 is as accurate as the SA trigger pull for me.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    When you use the decocker to drop the hammer and leave the manual safety on the trigger can't be pulled. Decock and leave the safety off, the trigger can be pulled in double action mode, that is, as you pull the trigger the hammer will travel rearwards and then fall and fire the gun. Or, you can take the safety off, cock the hammer manually, then pull the trigger and fire the gun in single action mode. The trigger pull is much lighter and easier to pull in single action mode. So basically the decocker blocks the firing pin and the manual safety disengages the hammer and sear. The safest gun is one that is unloaded. The next is one that is loaded but decocked. Next would be what is called cocked and locked, which is loaded with the hammer cocked and the safety on. If your wife has trouble chambering a round with the slide, have her try manually cocking the hammer before trying to rack the slide. It will take less force since she's not also overcoming the power of the hammer spring. The easiest way to remove snap caps from the magazine is to remove the magazine and push them out with your thumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by djeaton View Post
    Is the decocker the only way to engage the firing pin lock on a PT92? Or is that what the manual safety does as well? Is that ALL that the manual safety does? With all the different safety methods on the gun, I'm trying to think of the best one/combo to use on a regular basis. I'm thinking of chambering a round from a full magazine, using the decocker to set the firing pin lock, and then putting on the manual safety. The hardest part for my wife is chambering a round with the slide, so I'm thinking of ways to avoid that for both her and my daughter. That way, if I have this figured out right, there is a couple of fairly easy and quiet steps required to fire. You'd take off the safety, cock back the hammer, and pull the trigger. But I'd much rather ask the advice of the experts than to trust that I have this all figured out.

Also, I purchased some snap caps for practicing with the gun. I figured my daughter would be less afraid of them than real ammo. But once the practice is over and I'm ready to go back to real rounds, is there an easy way to manually remove the snap caps from the magazine, or is it best to just keep manually chambering a round until they are all out?
    djeaton likes this.
    Taurus Tracker 44mag
    Taurus PT92 9mm
    Taurs 66 357mag
    Taurus 85 38sp
    Taurus 82 38sp
    Taurus PT638 380
    Taurus PT111 G2 9mm
    Custom 1911 45acp
    Firestar M45 45acp

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.
    Will Rogers

Sponsored Links