How do I clean my new Taurus PT-809
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

How do I clean my new Taurus PT-809

I just bought a new Taurus PT-809. As it is with Taurus it came out of a plastic bag pretty well drenched in oil. The salesman suggested I clean the gun before I shoot it. I read other articles that also recommended that it be cleaned before shooting so that the residue doesn't get mixed with the oil. Since I've also been a revolver man, with this being my first semi-automatic handgun, what is the best way to clean this gun and how much of it do I need to clean. I watched a number of videos about gun cleaning and there are about a million different ways. What is the best solvent? What parts do you clean? What parts do you oil? What does the manufacter recommend. Do I need to clean the hand part or the mags. As I said this is my first semi-auto handgun and I'm not ashamed to ask for advice. Don't want to screw up a brand new gun.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzrik View Post
    I just bought a new Taurus PT-809. As it is with Taurus it came out of a plastic bag pretty well drenched in oil. The salesman suggested I clean the gun before I shoot it. I read other articles that also recommended that it be cleaned before shooting so that the residue doesn't get mixed with the oil. Since I've also been a revolver man, with this being my first semi-automatic handgun, what is the best way to clean this gun and how much of it do I need to clean. I watched a number of videos about gun cleaning and there are about a million different ways. What is the best solvent? What parts do you clean? What parts do you oil? What does the manufacter recommend. Do I need to clean the hand part or the mags. As I said this is my first semi-auto handgun and I'm not ashamed to ask for advice. Don't want to screw up a brand new gun.

Got my new 809c home last night. Dis-assembled it and sprayed it down with Break Free. Scrubbed all the parts and repeated. Same with the mags. Then re-assembled and cycled slide several times. Then dis-assembled again and inspected, oiled and put it all back together. Cycled the slide. Loaded up the mags and manually cycled both until empty. Then loaded up and shot about 100 rounds. Cleaned again. Will shoot it again Sat.

K
    NRA Member
    Taurus PT111 G2
    Taurus PT945B
    Taurus PT92 x3
    24/7 Pro C DS 45ACP
    S&W SD9VE
    S&W M&P 15-22

Member #
    Liked
    3458 times
    Sounds like you may have gotten the problems resolved with the cleaning, but remember hand cycling is no comparison to the real thing of firing rounds. May sound redundant, but if it were me, I would field strip it again and clean and lube it up before that range session. Sure it takes some time, some cleaning materials, but it certainly will not hurt the function of the gun. Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Sponsored Links