Rail Light Or Not - Your Opinion For A Home Defense Handgun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Rail Light Or Not - Your Opinion For A Home Defense Handgun

Member #
    Liked
    33 times

Rail Light Or Not - Your Opinion For A Home Defense Handgun

Can you guys/gals share your opinions on whether a rail mounted light, from a tactical standpoint, is...

a) BETTER than a hand-held light

b) Either one - doesn't matter

c) NOT as good as a hand-held light

This would apply ANY handgun you might have experience with, Taurus or not. Also, is the contention that a mounted light can cause malfunctions in cycling an "old wife's tale" or is it based in fact? (I enter this on the PT92 thread because that's the gun I'm seriously considering next, but again, your experience with any handgun with a light leading to a malfunction, or not causing a malfunction, would be good.)

The malfunction issue is new to me, I just stumbled on a couple articles about it (it's always something, right? ) If there is anything to this, it would make me rethink the necessity of my next gun HAVING to have a light, which is where I am at right now...
    Last edited by HellsCominToBreakfast; 07-14-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    kruizer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    35629 times
    None of my firearms have any rail lights. I don't even own a light I could put on the rail, well without using duct tape that is.

I can see just fine in my house at night the vast majority of the time between ambient light from outside and the multitude of lights inside (clocks, DVR's, electronics etc). For those rare occurrences, maybe a power outage in a thunderstorm I have a handheld flashlight. Speaking form a purely tactical calculation as Sun Tsu would say, in my home I have the advantage over the terrain which gives me an edge from the start. In my opinion I loose some of that advantage with a light shining.

If I was going into somewhere unknown that would change the calculus. But for home defence I never saw the need for a light beyond a handheld one in those rare instances I mentioned above.

I would go with handheld over rail mounted for home. It gives you more versatility in my opinion.

Just my 2¢.
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 07-14-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21969 times
    I have a rail light on a tactical-length 12 gauge shotgun. I also have a small-but-powerful handheld light on my nightstand; that is my primary. The rail light is either a backup, or else when I need both hands on the 12 gauge but I need a light, too. Remember the adage, "Two is one, and one is none." Ol' Man Murphy is always standing at your shoulder when things get tense.

Or when the cattle and horses get out at 2:00 AM, and that flashlight you grabbed decides to fry the filament in a brief flash as you head out the door in boots and pajamas.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25301 times
    No rail on any of my firearms.
    I don't need to give the intruder a nice bright target to shoot at.
    Plus I know my house and where everything is in the dark.
    If I need to see I just flip a light switch.
    There are only two options as I see it.
    Either I'm right, or there is a sinister
    conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8621 times
    I'm used to a hand held light, my father was a LEO and taught me to use one that way. I have thought of using one on my bedside gun a XD-9 but I know the layout of my house and have nightlights in all the right places. Inside my house I doubt I would need a flashlight anyway. Even though I have a very bright bedside light.

I did have one on a tactical 12 gauge for a bit but found the batteries were always dead. It's not like it gets a lot of use. My home is protected by very bright motion sensor lights on the four corners and they light up everything out back to the field. The front is triggered by anyone walking in the street or by my car.

Plus I carry a small but powerful 600 Lumen light in my pocket that has bright, turbo holy crap bright and strobe. It's made by Protech and is called the Pro600RC rechargeable task light and it comes with a head strap. I got one for my dad, it is highly recommended. It recharges by a small magnetic USB cable and last forever on a charge.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    4525 times
    Handheld - more versatile.

The first light an intruder would see would be muzzle flash wouldn't it?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33593 times
    I don't see a problem with putting a good light on your rail, if you feel like doing so. At the very least, it would free up a hand to do other things. Having said that, I don't currently own a rail light. I had a TLR-1 a long time ago but sold it because I really didn't use it all that much. I think if I bought another one, I would mount it on my bedroom gun, just in case I needed it.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    2954 times
    I put a light on my HD gun....never used it yet. ......but I do believe a hand held light would be better.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    6476 times
    No lights on any of my home defensive weapons. I am also of the opinion that >I< know my house (inside and out) better than any intruder so in a defensive situation why light up your position and tell your attacker "Hey, I'm over here!!!" when you have the tactical advantage of positional awareness. I do have a handheld flashlight with a bazillion lumens if I need to do a simple (non life threatening) interior or perimeter search.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8621 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 Forever View Post
    I'm used to a hand held light, my father was a LEO and taught me to use one that way. I have thought of using one on my bedside gun a XD-9 but I know the layout of my house and have nightlights in all the right places. Inside my house I doubt I would need a flashlight anyway. Even though I have a very bright bedside light.

I did have one on a tactical 12 gauge for a bit but found the batteries were always dead. It's not like it gets a lot of use. My home is protected by very bright motion sensor lights on the four corners and they light up everything out back to the field. The front is triggered by anyone walking in the street or by my car.

Plus I carry a small but powerful 600 Lumen light in my pocket that has bright, turbo holy crap bright and strobe. It's made by Protech and is called the Pro600RC rechargeable task light and it comes with a head strap. I got one for my dad, it is highly recommended. It recharges by a small magnetic USB cable and last forever on a charge.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links