PT92 - Has Taurus Sorted Out The Magazine Problems?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: PT92 - Has Taurus Sorted Out The Magazine Problems?

Member #
    Liked
    33 times

PT92 - Has Taurus Sorted Out The Magazine Problems?

I'm interested in the 92. From all that I have gathered, it's a great gun in every respect - EXCEPT I have heard from several sources and tests that it has been plagued, historically, with the factory mags causing malfunctions. First of all, I'm not sure whether that's true or just a myth, so I come to the experienced folks here for your opinion

I figure if it HAS been a problem in the past, Taurus should have straightened it out by now because the 92 is a quality firearm which shouldn't be hampered by something like that. But, if this is indeed a problem, and is still ongoing, what other mags could be substituted? Will the Beretta mag fit it, or is there a specialty company which just manufactures mags, which would work?

If I'm better off getting mags from another source, it's no bigee because the Taurus is less money than the Beretta to begin with, and has some features I like MORE than the Beretta, like the safety/decocker location and what looks like (?) more grippable striations on the slide.

Thanks...
    Last edited by HellsCominToBreakfast; 07-09-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    3433 times
    I've never heard of this 'problem' you speak of. I have 7 mags for my pt92 and I can honestly say I have never had the first malfunction. I have 2 Beretta mags but I had to modify the mag catch hole to work in my 92.

I would be interested to read what has made you so hesitant about Taurus.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    PT111 G2
    PT92 AFS

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stupimlico View Post
    I've never heard of this 'problem' you speak of. I have 7 mags for my pt92 and I can honestly say I have never had the first malfunction. I have 2 Beretta mags but I had to modify the mag catch hole to work in my 92.

I would be interested to read what has made you so hesitant about Taurus.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks, that sounds assuring. Here is one vid, I have seen a couple more like it...(start at 12:47 - I tried to cue it up there but it didn't work)

Last edited by HellsCominToBreakfast; 07-09-2020 at 09:02 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2759 times
    Well, if it was on the internet, it must be true.
    jtg452 and olfarhors like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9422 times
    The Taurus 92 OEM mags have a tendency to "nose dive" ammo when loading - bit of a PITA, but has never caused a firing malfunction with me. Having said that, the MecGar 92 mags are much better quality and that's what I use for my PT92/100/PT100's with spares. I do use the Taurus mags on range occasionally. I wouldn't let OEM mags make my decision for buying a fine pistol - YMMV.
    (1) PT709 SS; (1) PT709FS; PT740 SS; PT140B Mil G2 Rec'd. 2/16/16; PT140 SS G2 Rec'd 9/14/16; PT111 SS Mil Pro Repaired Rec'd. 9/9/16
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W; Remington R51 G2 9MM
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS; (2) PT100AFS; TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS; (1)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and (1) all Black; Texas CHL

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46094 times
    I have two OEM mags and two MecGar mags for my PT 92 AFS. Both work flawlessly with the OEM holding 17 and the others 18 rounds. The MecGar have rubber bases and if I were to look for affitional they would be MecGar that I would buy. It's a great pistol and it would be among the last that I would part with.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wino View Post
    The Taurus 92 OEM mags have a tendency to "nose dive" ammo when loading - bit of a PITA, but has never caused a firing malfunction with me. Having said that, the MecGar 92 mags are much better quality and that's what I use for my PT92/100/PT100's with spares. I do use the Taurus mags on range occasionally. I wouldn't let OEM mags make my decision for buying a fine pistol - YMMV.

Great answer - thanks! Yes, the "nosedive" was mantioned in another of the articles/vids I was speaking of.

And, you're absolutely right. Like I said I'm happy with buying some mags other than the OEM ones and won't let that that deter me from the pistol itself.

Thanks for the heads up and even supplying the name of some other available mags
    Czechbikr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    I have two OEM mags and two MecGar mags for my PT 92 AFS. Both work flawlessly with the OEM holding 17 and the others 18 rounds. The MecGar have rubber bases and if I were to look for affitional they would be MecGar that I would buy. It's a great pistol and it would be among the last that I would part with.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    28423 times
    HMMM?
    now I may be one of the first to mention MY problems with taurus weapons ---BUT-- I have a 1987 model 99 Taurus, I am sure this weapon is well north of 10-K rounds and I honestly don't remember any problems with function on this weapon?
    Now i am sure i likely have had a malfunction or two over those years and number of rounds but they certainly don't stand out in my memory.
    this was even after i accidentally dropped it in that bucket of camo paint!
    quite honestly MYSELF the only two models that I would consider buying is the 92/99 and the Pt1911.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    14582 times
    Just to echo what others have said. I have 2, PT 99’s, with 0 function problems. One purchased in ‘91, and the other I bought used mfg’d in ‘01. Both are in my CC rotation and go to the range every week. I have Taurus, Mec-Gar and several ‘no-name’ mags, the ‘no-name’ mags only see range duty, all the others rotate in and out of carry duty. Two of the no-names have a problem, one will not seat in the mag well with out holding the mag release button, the other has an intermittent feed problem. When I buy mags for PT 92/99’s I’ll go with Mec-Gar. And am always looking for a deal on a 92 or 99 pistol, which I consider the Flag Ship of the Taurus brand. F Y I, I own 4 other Tauri in the 900 series and a 709. All flawless feeders and shooters.
    Last edited by william; 07-10-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links