Brand new TX22 - Takedown lever stuck - Help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Brand new TX22 - Takedown lever stuck - Help!

Hi all,

Just recently bought a new TX22 and for the life of me cannot seem to disassemble the gun. Ive read page 28 in the manual and watched the numerous videos online that shows you how to do it but the take down lever above the trigger is stuck. I can't seem to lower it even with pulling the slide back 1/8". I've been trying for the past few hours to a point where my thumbs are now bleeding.

Can anyone give me insight as to what may be causing a jammed take down lever on a brand new, unfired Tx22? Help

Thanks all so much for taking the time to read this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35030 times
    Are you removing the magazine, making sure it's unloaded, then pulling the trigger before you start?
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Apologies, I should have been more descriptive. Yes, the magazine was removed, chamber checked to make sure it's safe then pulled the trigger. Only then did I try to pull down on the lever.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mine was the same when it was new. Few thousand rounds later, it is as smooth as can be.

After dropping the magazine, checking for an empty chamber, and pulling the trigger, I'd suggest:
    place downward tension on the take down lever from both sides and then slowly pull the slide back. The take down lever should drop as the slide clears it. It may take more or less than the mentioned 1/8".

BTW, it is well worth the effort, I'm extremely happy with the TX22.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Same here!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the suggestion @llamatrails. Tried but no luck. The levers arn't moving. I'm wondering if I should just shoot the gun first and see if it loosens.

The closest thing I can find online was on a different thread albeit on a different Taurus model. The title was mislabeled as slide release but the poster was referencing the take down levers.

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/t...se-jammed.html

Could it possibly be an incorrectly seated recoil spring that's causing the take down levers to get jammed in the up position?

Supporting Vendor

Member #
    Liked
    892 times
    The tabs to use for take down aren't really levers. They don't spin, or hardly move much. They just pull down slightly, and you can wiggle the slide a little forward than pull it off upward. It helps to move the slide back just a touch as you pull them down While still holding the tabs down, move the slide forward past normal battery. It will stop again. At that point, it pulls upward, off the pistol. It doesn't slide all the way forward and off. Hope that helps.

https://lakelinellc.com/

Parts and Accessories for Pistols

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the suggestion Alfonse. You guys make great stuff at LakeLine LLC!

Yes technically they're not levers, you're absolutely right. I'm just referencing what they're called in the TX22 manual on page 36 part list #3 (Lever, Takedown).

The problem is that they don't pull down at all. They do not move. I'm wondering if anything can be pushing on it from the inside, such as an incorrectly seated recoil spring, preventing me from pulling down on it. It doesn't seem to matter how far I pull back on the side. I've tried from 1/8" - 1/2" but yet they still don't budge.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The lever, take down (3) comes up through the hole in the block, central (2) and locks the barrel, threaded (31) in place in the grip (1).
    On the underside of the barrel is a slot that the take down lever fits into. The recoil spring isn't anywhere near this, as it fits forward of where the take down lever slot is and below the barrel into the grip, seated against the front of the block, central.

My take is that the take down lever fit into the barrel slot is tighter than normal.

If the slide racks as expected, chambers rounds from the magazine, and everything else works as expected, then I'd go and shoot a few magazines to loosen it up.

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Move the slide back enough to be able to grab the end of the barrel and wiggle it as you are pulling down on the takedown lever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links