Fast Reload for PT-22 Poly?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fast Reload for PT-22 Poly?

Member #
    Liked
    107 times

Fast Reload for PT-22 Poly?

Has anyone yet come up with a fast way to reload a PT-22 in the event that you shoot one dry?

For me, racking the slide after inserting a fresh magazine is inserted is pretty much impossible. And I'm not a little wimpy guy either. I'm 6'-2" and 250 pounds, lift weights at the gym, and have shoulders so wide that I have to twist a little sideways at the waist to get through a 30" interior passageway door of else I'll bang one or both elbows painfully on the doorframe. I just can't get a tight enough grip on the slide to cycle it.

So far I've tried popping the barrel up and feeding the top round out of the mag into the popped-up barrel with my thumb, but that doesn't work as my thumb is too wide to get a good purchase on the top round in the mag. I wonder if anyone makes something like a Bianchi Speed Strip for .22LR?

Any other ideas?

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    Nope. At least not that I'm aware of. I think that as cool as the tip up barrels are, that's also the major drawback to them if you're unable to slide the rack. I'm not sure the philosophy of that design included reloading. I think they were meant to be small, last resort guns that you drop when empty, but that's just my thought.

This has been my experience, anyway. Maybe someone will come and enlighten us both.
    olfarhors likes this.
    PT22, 85 Poly, 865, 605, M44.... what's next?!

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    14449 times
    The fastest reload, is another gun.
    Fishinkeylargo and olfarhors like this.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    The wide base of a PT22 magazine doesn't lend itself to carrying a spare magazine anyway. You could almost carry another PT22 as easily.
    That's one advantage the Beretta Bobcat has over the PT22. The little Bobcat has an exposed hammer that you can thumb-cock. With the hammer cocked it is much easier to rack the slide because you don't have to overcome the hammer spring. I am a huge Taurus fan, but the little Beretta trumps the PT22. I was a bit dubious when I bought my PT22. But when I realize how much I loved the little gun, and how accurately I could actually shoot it, and knew I wanted to make it a permanent resident in my blue jeans pocket, the better attributes of the little Bobcat won out and I ponied up the extra money and got one. The Bobcat is also a DA/SA gun, so after that first DA pull, all subsequent pulls are a much easier/crisper SA pull. The Bobcat now lives in my blue jeans pocket and the PT22 on my nightstand.
    Last edited by jimku; 05-08-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimku View Post
    The wide base of a PT22 magazine doesn't lend itself to carrying a spare magazine anyway.
    How big is your mag base?!?! Mine is narrower than the grip, not large at all.

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 357Funtime View Post
    How big is your mag base?!?! Mine is narrower than the grip, not large at all.
    Mine is like the one in this video. Its base is as wide as the grip.
    Last edited by jimku; 05-09-2020 at 05:17 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    Ah, interesting. I've got the original PT22 alloy. I've read the poly can't use the old style mags, but the original PT22 can use either mag. Too lazy to dig out my PT22 and take mag pics, but here's a pic of the mags I use I just found on Ebay. They're as narrow as any other mag.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47517 times
    Does the poly have an exposed hammer? On my old PT-22 if I thumb the hammer back it is easier to rack the slide.

I'm trying to remember, but I think I need to pull the trigger slightly to get the hammer back enough to finish pulling it back. It has been a while since I messed with it.
    Last edited by Fishinkeylargo; 05-09-2020 at 02:13 PM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    9118 times
    I do things one of two ways with my Poly for a fast reload if you can call it that. One is to strip a round off the mag and insert it into the up turned barrel, then put the fresh mag in the well. If not then for a rack of the slide I hold onto the slide tightly and push the body of the pistol forward. When the body of the pistol and slide are at full extension I let the slide go full forward without assistance. The slide slams home and takes a fresh cartridge from the fresh magazine which is inserted and then the "gun rack" is done.

Member #
    Liked
    9118 times
    I forgot to mention that I have several single nylon mag carriers that fit the belt and have a flap. The mag carriers are slim enough and not bulky at all. These were purchased some years ago. Have not seen any since offered at other places.

None of this makes for a super fast reload, but does give one a chance to accomplish a reload if needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links