Love my little pt22!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Love my little pt22!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Member #
    75091
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    118
    Liked
    82 times

    Love my little pt22!

    I love my little PT22. It has been 100 percent reliable with CCI Mini Mags, well over 1,000 rounds. I clean it every time I shoot it and keep it lubed, usually run about 20 rounds through it every time I go to the range. It is surprisingly accurate at 7 yards. Some people scoff at a little pistol like this for self-defense, but 9 rounds of rapid-fire 22LR in the chest is the equivalent of a round of 12 gauge 00 buckshot, and NObody has ever walked away from getting hit in the chest with one shot of 12 gauge 00 buckshot.

    Either my little PT22 or my little Beretta Bobcat live in the pocket of my blue jeans. My little Beretta has proven to be just as reliable as my little PT22. If I have my pants on, one of them is there, and I assure you I never go out without my pants on! I nearly always carry a larger gun as well, and my little 22s are just there for a backup. But one of them is ALways on my nightstand. One of them is ALways in my blue jeans pocket and one of them is ALways on my nightstand. I love these little pistols!
    Last edited by jimku; 05-08-2020 at 02:22 AM.
    darbo, DeltaBravoKS and bobbojama like this.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    18139
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    40,112
    Liked
    47517 times
    I got my old PT-22 at a guns show as a in box special. In box meaning pieces in a box because someone took it apart and could not put it together again. Thankfully all the pieces were there and it has been flawless ever since.
    brojohn and bobbojama like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

    The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.





  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Member #
    30297
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wake County, NC
    Posts
    3,066
    Liked
    5762 times
    I like mine too. Only issue is about fifty rounds of anything and it starts failing to feed.
    Have to clean the chamber with a wire brush and give it a couple drops of oil and
    it's usually good for another fifty.

    Fun little gun. Jimku is right, at seven yards it's an accurate little gun.

    Someone told me these are "get off me guns". Little .22 it would be tough for a lawyer to
    claim you were out LOOKING to hurt someone. Carrying something bigger can look like
    you were fully intending to kill whoever it was as you were carrying a .40 S&W.
    PT-22 is enough to make someone stop their attack but, can easily be lethal.
    Last edited by dwhite; 05-08-2020 at 02:13 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Member #
    11801
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    35,441
    Liked
    28065 times
    [QUOTE=jimku;5608575]I love my little PT22. It has been 100 percent reliable with CCI Mini Mags, well over 1,000 rounds. I clean it every time I shoot it and keep it lubed, usually run about 20 rounds through it every time I go to the range. It is surprisingly accurate at 7 yards. Some people scoff at a little pistol like this for self-defense, but 9 rounds of rapid-fire 22LR in the chest is the equivalent of a round of 12 gauge 00 buckshot, and NObody has ever walked away from getting hit in the chest with one shot of 12 gauge 00 buckshot.


    ahh-actually I do believe that 00 Buckshot is 33 caliber not 22, to get to 22 caliber then you would need to go to say---#5 buck shot or so?
    but hey if you are happy with the 22 that's all that matters.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Member #
    75091
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    118
    Liked
    82 times
    OK, so getting plugged with a 12 gauge loaded with #5 buck shot in the chest at 7 yards isn't something you will walk away from either. There is no sane argument that a litttle PT22 can't be downright lethal. I can shoot mine well enough to easily empty it into someone's HEAD at 7 yards before he could get to me.
    Last edited by jimku; 05-08-2020 at 04:38 PM.

  7. #6
    Member
    Member #
    43754
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    90
    Liked
    107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimku View Post
    I love my little PT22. It has been 100 percent reliable with CCI Mini Mags, well over 1,000 rounds. I clean it every time I shoot it and keep it lubed, usually run about 20 rounds through it every time I go to the range. It is surprisingly accurate at 7 yards. Some people scoff at a little pistol like this for self-defense, but 9 rounds of rapid-fire 22LR in the chest is the equivalent of a round of 12 gauge 00 buckshot, and NObody has ever walked away from getting hit in the chest with one shot of 12 gauge 00 buckshot.

    Either my little PT22 or my little Beretta Bobcat live in the pocket of my blue jeans. My little Beretta has proven to be just as reliable as my little PT22. If I have my pants on, one of them is there, and I assure you I never go out without my pants on! I nearly always carry a larger gun as well, and my little 22s are just there for a backup. But one of them is ALways on my nightstand. One of them is ALways in my blue jeans pocket and one of them is ALways on my nightstand. I love these little pistols!
    I've had exactly the same experience with mine so far, although I don't have 1000 rounds through it yet. But heck, 1000 rounds of Mini-Mags is only $80.00 or so.

    I also agree with your philosophy of use, although I wouldn't aim for the chest. My policy with a mouse gun is to "Shoot 'em in the crotch!" as Clint Smith says. That should give 'em an attitude adjustment.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Member #
    75091
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    118
    Liked
    82 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
    I've had exactly the same experience with mine so far, although I don't have 1000 rounds through it yet. But heck, 1000 rounds of Mini-Mags is only $80.00 or so.
    I also agree with your philosophy of use, although I wouldn't aim for the chest. My policy with a mouse gun is to "Shoot 'em in the crotch!" as Clint Smith says. That should give 'em an attitude adjustment.
    I don't know how that would fare in court. It's one thing to defend yourself, and another to give him an involuntary sex change.

  9. #8
    Member
    Member #
    43754
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    90
    Liked
    107 times
    Well, with the PT-22, I think my only other credible option (for an immediate cessation of aggressive activities) would be to empty the magazine in the ocular cavity. That would be going for a penetration of the brain, which would likely result in death. A mag dump into the chest would be hoping for a stop due to circulatory collapse due to shutting down the heart - and hostile actions can still take place for many seconds after the heart stops.

    A mag dump into the pelvic area would, at least, likely result in the assailant falling to the ground due to shock and loss of control of the lower extremities, giving you the opportunity to escape. But it would likely not result in rapid death for the assailant. And could be presented in court that your intention was to stop the attack and escape - not to inflict fatal injury.

    So, if I'm defending against an attack from someone with a firearm, I'm going for the ocular cavity. But against an attacker with a knife or contact weapon, I'll go with Clint's advice.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Member #
    43407
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,278
    Liked
    1446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
    Well, with the PT-22, I think my only other credible option (for an immediate cessation of aggressive activities) would be to empty the magazine in the ocular cavity. That would be going for a penetration of the brain, which would likely result in death. A mag dump into the chest would be hoping for a stop due to circulatory collapse due to shutting down the heart - and hostile actions can still take place for many seconds after the heart stops.

    A mag dump into the pelvic area would, at least, likely result in the assailant falling to the ground due to shock and loss of control of the lower extremities, giving you the opportunity to escape. But it would likely not result in rapid death for the assailant. And could be presented in court that your intention was to stop the attack and escape - not to inflict fatal injury.

    So, if I'm defending against an attack from someone with a firearm, I'm going for the ocular cavity. But against an attacker with a knife or contact weapon, I'll go with Clint's advice.
    I have the older alloy frame PT-22, and sometimes I have it with me for my line of work. For a defensive gun it's good. And you are 100% correct, unloading it in the chest center mass is effective.. or a few rounds in the head.. lights out.
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Member #
    11801
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    35,441
    Liked
    28065 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimku View Post
    OK, so getting plugged with a 12 gauge loaded with #5 buck shot in the chest at 7 yards isn't something you will walk away from either. There is no sane argument that a litttle PT22 can't be downright lethal. I can shoot mine well enough to easily empty it into someone's HEAD at 7 yards before he could get to me.
    sure it CAN be lethal but then again so can a can opener under the right conditions!
    again IF YOU are satisfied that a short barreled 22 will work for your needs then so be it, but IF that is the case then why are you trying to justify carrying it for self defense?
    I carry a 9 MM, 38 Super, 10 MM or 45 acp and find no need to justify my choices and I can't hit someone routinely in the eyeball at 7 yards with any of them, specially if they are moving!,.
    357Funtime likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •