Taurus TH9c First Impressions
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Taurus TH9c First Impressions

Member #
    Liked
    71 times

Taurus TH9c First Impressions

Received my TH9c today. Very nice box.
    I observed carefully the exterior of the pistol and didn't find any scratches or blemishes.

Proceeded to do the field disassembly and observed that it was relatively clean, consistent with it having been fired at least a couple of times.
    The barrel had some rub markings where it interacts with the slide. Checked the slide and had some sharp edges. I will knock them off with a hard arkansas stone. Also curiously, the underside of the barrel had engraved the letters THN,done apparently with a hand engraver.
    The trigger and hammer mechanisms didn't show any fault. In other words, they look good.
    I applied a little lithium grease to the slide tracks and oil to the rest of the mechanism and assembled it back.
    The trigger in DA feels smooth, no creep, nice. In SA it breaks clean.
    The pull on the DA trigger is 10 lbs. and in SA it is 6 lbs. Perfect, it doesn't need any trigger job.
    Something that I consider important for CCW, is the width of the grip. It is mentioned in the literature all over that it measures 1.3". Not true. In my particular pistol, it measures 1.16", practically the same as the G2C (1.11"), which makes it very CCW capable.
    So far, I'm impressed.
    Next week will test it at the range.
    Last edited by steamburn; 05-02-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47517 times
    Congrats, looking forward to range report.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    20401 times
    Congrats on the new pistol! Range time should be fun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I also recently purchased a TH9C. One trip to the range so far and no complaints. No FTF or FTE issues. Ran Winchester white box 115gr and Fiocchi 147gr FMJ ammo. I did add the mag extention on the 13rd magazine which added more room for my little finger on the grip plus one more round in the mag. I posted pictures on another thread. Good luck with it and would like to hear how things go at the range.
    steamburn likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3632 times
    THN sounds like the initials of a detective that pulled it out of a homicide crime scene.

Just kidding--have fun with your new gun!
    steamburn likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2829 times
    Ok......now we need to see a few pics of some dead targets.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    First 2 clips at 15yrds with this new pistol. Hopefully I can tighten up the grouping next time.
    Name:  20200503_153144.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  1,022.6 KB
    Last edited by [email protected]; 05-03-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    DeltaBravoKS and steamburn like this.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Our local range is open!!!
    I go to Gator Guns Archery and Gun in West Palm Beach. Old folks at the counter. They now their stuff.
    Anyways, my wife and I went this morning. She shot her PK380 and did better than ever.
    I tested the TH9c with double taps, DA then SA. Not a single failure!!!
    I tried IMI 115 gr NATO, Magtech 124 gr. JHP, Remington 147 gr. FMJ and Federal, 115 gr. Hi-Shok JHP and Magtech 115 gr. FMJ.
    Total count of shots was in the neighbourhood of 150.
    This is a very reliable pistol and I'm very, very happy with it.

In another note, I also shot my Springfield XDe that has the Langdon trigger, hammer and spring upgrades and found it to be butter smooth on the DA pull and crisp on the SA release. I just wish there would be similar kit for the TH9c (PT809), because the DA pull in the TH9c, though it isn't bad, it could be better.

Note: Searching on the PT809 sections, I found the answers.
    First I found a thread by Fred Wahl on his experience changing the hammer spring
    https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/s...-pt-809-a.html
    and then, another thread, this one very old, by Bigdlou, in which he documents the complete disassembly of the PT800 series pistols (which from the smithing perspective, are practically the same as the TH9, TH9c and TH40 https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/s...ial-guide.html
    Last edited by steamburn; 05-08-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: New information added
    taurustoter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2418 times
    I'd like to try the TH40 someday.

Congrats on your new pistol
    Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake, The snake didn't have a leg to stand on.

Opportunity may knock ounce, but temptation leans on the doorbell.

Member #
    Liked
    3820 times
    Well OP, that's good to hear! Glad the TH9 ran good for you.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Sponsored Links